Author Topic: *parkour based game* Mirror's edge trailer.  (Read 13474 times)

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
Re: *parkour based game* Mirror's edge trailer.
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2008, 12:29:42 PM »

Definition of athletic: of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina.

The keyword there is "or" suggesting that being "athletic" may or may not consist of those "physical skills or capabilities."  Using a dictionary definition to prove your point is rather insulting because you're implying that someone is too ignorant to understand the meaning of the word.  Not to mention the definition of a word such as "athletic" is going to be quite broad and will have a number of connotations. 

Now, having said that, I think this game would be perfect for me to play right now.  I can't do any training because I broke my tail bone...man i wish it was out already.  I've never wanted to train so badly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline NickMc

• Patas
  • ydoaPs
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2008, 12:51:19 PM »
You have to admit one thing. Men dominate the parkour field because they are superior in strength. It has been proven the male gender is 40% to 50% stronger than the female gender. Mentally and physically man is stronger than woman. There is one area however in which male is completely ruled out. Child Bearing.  ;)

strength doesn't have a whole lot to do with parkour. its more athleticism. and yes there is a difference my friend. If your athletic you can work out with your body weight, i.e. do pull-ups, push-ups, bench your weight etc. Parkour has a lot more to do with dealing with your body weight than just being plan out strong. Believe me there are many women who are extremely athletic, just because men are genetically stronger doesn't mean that they are more naturally athletic. Women also have an easier time being more flexible which gives them advantages in certain moves.
And the study you mentioned said nothing about mental strength, it sounds like you pulled that out of your ass. Physical strength does not translate to mental strength.

Definition of athletic: of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina.

IIRC, females generally are more agile than males.
David Belle is what Willis was talking about

Offline Joe A.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 02:05:26 PM »
I bet if you put as much dedication to parkour as these girls (16ish?), then you'd be a parkour god...

http://www.youtube.com/v/Viu7U8_IhD4&hl=en

Oh, and the first metroid series had a code that allowed you to take off her armor.  And master chief is a girl :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-CiLceGDGwg

lol

Hyper_Mode

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 04:26:06 PM »
I can't believe women will practice this stuff all there lives just to try to prove they are stronger/better than a man.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2008, 05:18:21 PM »
Who says they are trying to prove anything? Most of them just do it because it's fun and it's a challenge.

By the way, strength is relative to an individual's body, it's not a preset concept. So yes, they have strength. Relative to themselves.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline thehoodedsanghelian

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • My videos
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 05:58:17 PM »
I can't believe women will practice this stuff all there lives just to try to prove they are stronger/better than a man.
Ok dude, you wanna be sexist and condescending, then leave this site.  Lol, I like to see you try any type of parkour-related competition with someone like Muse of Fire or other women like her on APK.  What are you trying to prove by being a traceur?
"Strength of numbers is the delight of the timid. The valiant in spirit glory in fighting alone."

Mohandas K. Ghandi

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2008, 12:59:28 AM »

Oh, and the first metroid series had a code that allowed you to take off her armor.  And master chief is a girl :)

lol

Samus* is a girl. Not master chief.
“You do freerunning or parkour, I don’t know, but both are the same. Some people are worried about it, but they are people that don’t train for too long, people that…in terms of training, aren’t mature yet. […] One day I’d like to wake up, open my window, and everyones doing parkour." -Ali Shelton

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 02:04:49 AM »
Halo ≠ Metroid

•Urban Current Member

Offline Harrison at AlaskaParkour.com

• Mangabey
  • Squirrel's are a Traceurs best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Alaska Parkour
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2008, 06:48:50 AM »

lol

Haha I remember Haloid ;D anyways Dude I have watched that trailer like 10 times now! This is now my most anticipated game for the year! I can't wait! I love the new first person view and it's interesting how they chose a girl. I think that after I beat the game I will end up doing the same thing that I did with Altair in Assassins Creed :P Anyways I think this game will pwn! I just hope they make it for the 360!

Offline Joe A.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »

lol

Sheesh, calm down lol.  This is a little fan made video that is pretty popular around the net.

If you watch the end, master chief gets injured so samus takes off the helmet... only to find a woman!

Oh yeah, they are BFF's during the credits lol
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 06:54:55 AM by wyumez »

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2008, 07:08:15 AM »
Hyper Mode chill on the sexism.  You think you can do a full twisting layout and catch a beam in between your crotch and still live to tell the day.  There are obviously things that our bodies are made for that make things easier for men or for women.  To say that women compete solely for the purpose to beat men is ludicrous and you should be like fined or something.  Take this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWPGBDZ4R8k
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Hyper_Mode

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2008, 05:38:58 PM »
Hyper Mode chill on the sexism.  You think you can do a full twisting layout and catch a beam in between your crotch and still live to tell the day.

Why in the world would anyone want to do a full twisting layout and catch a beam with there crotch? That's insane, for a man, or woman.

Anyways, you have your opinion I have mine.

Have a good day.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2008, 05:50:54 PM »
Hyper Mode chill on the sexism.  You think you can do a full twisting layout and catch a beam in between your crotch and still live to tell the day.

Why in the world would anyone want to do a full twisting layout and catch a beam with there crotch? That's insane, for a man, or woman.

Why in the world would anyone jump off roofs and vault over rails? That's insane.

•Urban Current Member

Hyper_Mode

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2008, 06:03:04 PM »

Why in the world would anyone jump off roofs and vault over rails? That's insane.

It's alot safer than jumping on your crotch.

Anyways, nevermind. I'm leaving this topic.

Offline thehoodedsanghelian

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • My videos
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2008, 09:11:19 AM »

Anyways, nevermind. I'm leaving this topic.
Thank you
"Strength of numbers is the delight of the timid. The valiant in spirit glory in fighting alone."

Mohandas K. Ghandi

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2008, 03:14:36 PM »

Because here in Parkour, we take the safer and easier route, we never look for a challenge.

•Urban Current Member

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2008, 06:12:18 PM »

... wow.  all i'm going to say is that one of the aspects of Parkour that i have enjoyed so much is how supportive the guys are and the fact that i have never felt patronized or judged based on my gender.  actually, everyone is super supportive; there just happen to be many more guys than girls.

anyways, on topic: regardless of the gender of the lead character, the game play and graphics look they're going to be amazing.  we don't know much about the story line/difficulty yet, but hopefully that will rock, too.  this looks like it would definitely be a fun game to play after a long jam, or at any other excuse.  :)
Queen of Puns

Offline bob smith

• Patas
  • Philosophical Badass
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2008, 06:49:12 PM »

... wow.  all i'm going to say is that one of the aspects of Parkour that i have enjoyed so much is how supportive the guys are and the fact that i have never felt patronized or judged based on my gender.  actually, everyone is super supportive; there just happen to be many more guys than girls.

anyways, on topic: regardless of the gender of the lead character, the game play and graphics look they're going to be amazing.  we don't know much about the story line/difficulty yet, but hopefully that will rock, too.  this looks like it would definitely be a fun game to play after a long jam, or at any other excuse.  :)

Oh see? Look, the first person to be on topic is a girl haha.  That proves that guys aren't better than girls :P

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2008, 09:19:53 PM »
Hyper_Mode I don't like you.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2008, 09:26:24 PM »
The lead character is a runner. Since the government has become corrupt, and eavesdrops on all the modern communication, she has to run messages for the criminal underworld.
Notice how there's no HUD? THe makers wanted it to be more true and free movement, which is one of the reasons they chose parkour as the basis for the style of gameplay