Author Topic: Parkour in the olympics?!  (Read 8406 times)

Offline Chris Kessler

• Mangabey
  • iJump
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour in the olympics?!
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 11:34:32 AM »
agree mostly with Leon. I am against a competition for a few reasons. First being, like others have stated, there are MANY different variables to every individual traceur. Second, it wouldn't be like a skateboarding competition where moves/landings are judged and scored. Parkour isn't about exact, precise, movements. It's about our own interpretation of our environments and how we choose to get through them. If you get over a wall with a shoddy looking kong vault faster than someone with a perfect kong vault, who wins?

In my opinion, and I'm sure you will all agree, it would be very difficult, maybe even near impossible, to judge these competitions.

Most of us have heard about the Red Bull sponsored free running competition that mostly incorporated the UK and UrbanFreeflow. If anyone knows how people were judged in that competition it would help our discussion here.
"We don't stop playing because we grow up. We grow up because we stop playing."
-Tim "Livewire" Shieff

Offline james2610

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 12:06:47 PM »
nah i wouldnt like it. PK isnt a competetive sport and was never made to be, im totally against it

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 12:27:24 PM »
Well.
simply put. I don't mind if they make it into a competition, I will still practice MY way, also.. it would be interesting to see this competition, I wasn't impressed with the RedBull Competition so I don't know how well they will be able to organize an olympic competition but as I said it would be interesting to see.

Also...
I think you all are stuck up.
competition this, and anti-competition that..
wasn't it the goal to strive for personal achievement, and choice. and yet you all are worried about what someone else does.
same with the parkour/free running war, I don't really care.
let someone TRAIN the way they want without telling them "oh shit dude you mixed free running in with your parkour training"

in a real situation they will revert to parkour, in training they may use free running if they want, for whatever reasons they wish.
shit.... what about QM? where would that be classified as? neither.. we do unnecessary movements to train ourselves fully.

I've had enough of this whole damn war thing.
I come here for peace of mind, to get away from all the wars this world has going on, and it just continues here.
I think you all have a lot to think about.
whether or not you support this or that is fine, but when it becomes an argument and a war, then it's gone overboard.

As a final note, you guys are great.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 12:40:26 PM »
lq (laughing quietly) well said and funny to boot.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Aaron Neale

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 12:45:54 PM »
i agree with what most people have said but also what if it discourages other people to try it. I for one do not like competitions too much, although on occasion i enjoy it.

thats all

Offline EpicMovement

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 01:07:58 PM »
In the sprirt of alot of sports today. I disagree with competition.

But as for the Olympics, the spirit of competition is usualy a good natured one.

lol. Can't wait to see what Ozzie's cookin up.

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 02:05:27 PM »
Well.
simply put. I don't mind if they make it into a competition, I will still practice MY way, also.. it would be interesting to see this competition, I wasn't impressed with the RedBull Competition so I don't know how well they will be able to organize an olympic competition but as I said it would be interesting to see.

Also...
I think you all are stuck up.
competition this, and anti-competition that..
wasn't it the goal to strive for personal achievement, and choice. and yet you all are worried about what someone else does.
same with the parkour/free running war, I don't really care.
let someone TRAIN the way they want without telling them "oh shit dude you mixed free running in with your parkour training"

in a real situation they will revert to parkour, in training they may use free running if they want, for whatever reasons they wish.
shit.... what about QM? where would that be classified as? neither.. we do unnecessary movements to train ourselves fully.

I've had enough of this whole damn war thing.
I come here for peace of mind, to get away from all the wars this world has going on, and it just continues here.
I think you all have a lot to think about.
whether or not you support this or that is fine, but when it becomes an argument and a war, then it's gone overboard.

As a final note, you guys are great.

Well said, but qm is quite useful. People always forget about going under things.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 02:30:08 PM »
I already cooked it,

I mentioned Belle wants PK in the olympics.

But anyway, like Leon said.
'
I remember being invited to the FR competition by EZ to represent HI, I thought to myself, hell I got no chance in hell against the people from the UK, assuming that Traucers like, Ryan D, Daniel I, and Chase A would be there. But having the opportunity to just go and train or learn from those guys would be an amazing experience.

That is the one positive thing I gather about PK/FR in competition. So many traceurs in one place, and knowing that even if competing we will all treat each other like brothers, must be a great event.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Moa

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 04:07:04 PM »
If parkour was in the olympics I think that it should be a non-linear path and whoever reaches the end first wins. There should be a couple of equally difficult and tested to make sure no course will take significantly more time. I like this idea to add creativity and variability to the competition and allows each traceur to play to his own stregnths because in a real parkour situation it doesn't just take a skilled athelete but and intellegent one too.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 05:07:48 PM »
Hey, what about versus competition where one person actually chases the other!? If you get tagged, you lose in some way. It kinda sounds like an American Gladiator competition though, lol.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Andrew Robillard

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 09:40:14 PM »
ok i have a few things. first although i am new to parkour/freerunning i have trained with olympic athletes in the past in the sport of pole vaulting. In fact i was coached for a little bit by the man who set the american record in the pole vault and by the man who coaches most of the american pole vaulters who compete in the olympics. That being said my impression of them is not that they compete to "be the best" or "prove to themselves they are the best" but rather to push their own limits and see how far they can really take themselves and the sport. Winning certainly plays a part in it but it is by no means the most, or even greatest factor. They would much rather push the limits of the sport as a whole and see future generations learn from them and continue to push the limits of the sport and so on. they gain a great deal of satisfaction through watching other people learn from them and pushing their own limits too. I think this would be very good for parkour/freerunning because it would definately help to develop the art form and take it to new heights.

Next i thought about competition in parkour a little while ago, before i even started training in it, and i came up with a couple ideas.
First i think that there should be multiple competitions. In my opinion there should be an obstacle course type thing set-up and it should be timed, but unlike ninja warrior their would be multiple ways to overcome the obstacles which leaves the traucer with some creativity and gives him more freedom. This would be a purely timed race with now "style" points or anything so whatever way the traucer feels is the fast way to the course is the way he can go. This more follows the idea of parkour, getting from one place to another without unneeded flash, or at least thats what i've gathered from the forums.

the next competition would be more a style competition. This one would be an open floor course, the traucer has free roam to go wherever he/she wants. They would be able to do whatever moves, tricks, flips, vaults, jumps they want and they would be judge based on the toughness of the move, the execution (which would discourage sloppy unsafe moves), and the "flow" (how well the transition in and out of the move) and this would be judge be people who are traucers and not competing or who have been taught about parkour/freerunning and its moves and stuff. Judges in gymnastics and figure skating aren't necessarily gymnasts and skaters but are able to judge so i think we would be able to handle educating some people to be professional judges. This format would be more along the lines of freerunning/tricking and would undoubtedly be more subjective than the time trial but i think it would work.

Separating the competition like this seems like the most efficient way to do it and be able to judge all the skills fairly and equally without giving priority to one set of skills over the other. Just look at sports/art forms such as gymnastics, bmx, skateboarding, ice skating, etc. There is no one set competition that covers all the skills in each sport/art form but rather a comprehensive set of subcategories that test individual skills in each one, i.e. speed skating v. figure skating; floor, bars, vault, rings, etc; motocross v. freestyle.

any thoughts.

oh and p.s. I'm all for having parkour/freerunning in the olympics, it encourages growth and respect amongst the communit and pushes the limits of parkour/freerunning in general.
"With the will and the passion impossible is nothing."

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
-Michael Jord

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 06:20:23 AM »
i tried competing with my training partner in a parkour race through a set of obstacles in the gym, and my thumb got hurt.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 06:41:28 AM »
well there you have it, no competitions :P

Robillard, sadly your post will probably be ignored. It seems that many in the Parkour community would rather go on living with "what they fear" as their arguments instead of "what exists" - which seems very contrary to Parkour philosophy to me.

They fear that people will only compete for their own egos / to prove they are better than others - yet people who go to competitions don't relay this as factual in most cases.

I'm afraid it's all a bunch of bullshit :)
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 06:50:11 AM »
I don't which was greater, the satisfaction of winning the race, or the pain in my stoved thumb ;p

Offline Cellar

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 07:22:21 AM »
I don't really care for competition in parkour, but I would love to see Olympic level traceurs do their stuff.

Thinking about it realistically though, the Olympics are an international competition, meaning the best from each country would compete. There are traceurs in quite a few countries now, but I don't know that there are enough extremely skilled people that could compete outside of France, the UK, and America. And if David Belle came everyone else would lose.
I like to play in the snow. I stick my hands in, now where did they go?
It might be mighty cold, but that's all part of not doin' what you're told.
I write the B-Sides-Eels

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 07:23:19 AM »
There's the good and the bad.  I think there are both good and bad with this coming to be just like skateboarding competitions.

You know its not going to be like figure skating or Gymnastics.  It's taken over 20 years for skating boarding to even be considered by the Olympics.  Aside from several years of Parkour competition that can stand on its own without the Olympics.  Badmitten and baseball didn't get added till 1992.  Softball in 1996. TeaKwando in 2000. So consider what you would like out of it being seen much like skateboarding.

Olympic Sports-
    Aquatics
    Archery
    Athletics
    Badminton
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Boxing
    Canoe / kayak
    Cycling
    Equestrian
    Fencing
    Football
    Gymnastics
    Handball
    Hockey
    Judo
    Modern pentathlon
    Rowing
    Sailing
    Shooting
    Softball
    Table tennis
    Taekwondo
    Tennis
    Triathlon
    Volleyball
    Weightlifting
    Wrestling
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 07:33:22 AM by Matthew Lee Willis »
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Graham Hughes

• Hirundo Rustica
  • FLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 07:35:33 AM »
I have to say I like the idea of watching a competition of skilled traceurs in the olympics, it would be a sight to behold for sure. 

That said, I understand the other viewpoint too.  In a largely mental and focus-drivin discipline such as parkour, a change in one's modivation is sort of a big deal.  I guess the question it boils down to is (for me at least), is it still parkour if someone wins?  And if not, does it matter?

I'm just gonna wait and see for now rather than saying "this is a good/bad idea."

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 07:44:25 AM »
I'm shooting myself in the foot but if I were someone trying to promote the advancement of parkour in the Olympics I would start right HERE!!!

http://www.singapore2010.sg/night/index.htm

You can see they added beach wrestling and BMX.  Soon to come I am sure skateboarding.  Maybe even surfing.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 09:48:46 AM »
I understand the idea behind a flat out obstacle course race, but I think that it inadequately represents parkour and the spirit behind it. My view of it would improve the more rigorous the course became, if it was several miles riddled with challenging obstacles I would be more in favor, I think that a traceur should be prepared for whatever comes. I do however think that something more 'freestyle' could help the growth of parkour, make people strive to come up with new creative movements and methods, I wish people would have a stronger drive to do this without competition but I recognize that some people need that push.

I think a traceur is best judged by their dedication. Not by how far they jump or how high fast they move, but by how much they want to improve and how willing they are to push themselves.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Chris Kessler

• Mangabey
  • iJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »
I just had a sort of brain blast. Snowboarding is in the olympics, right? The halfpipe I mean. That is scored on style, skill, execution, and how you can stay up and what not. Well how about, maybe a minute on the clock, and you can go at a course set up in the style of an urban environment. It'd be like a skateboarding street competition. It could be judged on flow, technical precision, and straight skill. That way it isn't about a race, which isn't really in the spirit of parkour. In this way it is all about yourself versus the clock.

If anyone has a mind to do it, please add to this idea. I don't think it has been exactly mentioned in this way.
"We don't stop playing because we grow up. We grow up because we stop playing."
-Tim "Livewire" Shieff