Author Topic: Parkour in America: Horizons  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
Parkour in America: Horizons
« on: May 01, 2008, 07:51:33 PM »
This is the promo video for the documentary currently underway tracking the growth and development of the parkour community in Columbus, Ohio. Hope you all enjoy  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npa7XgG8_Us

Just to clarify something for those who might not understand the situation Joseph was describing in this video when he was talking about the university..

When we tried to establish a parkour club at OSU, the university initially allowed us to do it. Things started out great. We had a very large number of people who were interested in joining the club. Later on, university officials demanded of us to produce all types of documents to even be considered for official club status. Their demands were so difficult, in fact, it seemed they were trying to prevent us from achieving our goal by putting up this sheer wall of bureaucracy.. They wanted to see risk mitigation plans, a fully developed curriculum, coaching certifications, liability forms, secondary insurance, member assessments, and they even said there had to be a fully functioning National Governing Body before they would take us seriously. Most of these things did not exist! Parkour was too new in America. We were faced with all of this AFTER school officials had told us we could have a club. They changed their position while we were trying to set things up!

At this point, OSUPK does not even officially exist anymore. For this reason, we were forced to create our own independent non-profit organization, which we have named Parkour Horizons. However, in an attempt to keep OSUPK alive, we dug in and began working in earnest to actually try and meet all the university's outrageous demands. They tried to drown us in paperwork, but we kept fighting our way back up to the surface. We actually tried to produce ALL of the forms, insurance, and other types of paperwork they requested. We turned in to them two portfolios of work, the first one over 75 pages long, and the second over 100 pages! All of these documents had to be strong enough to withstand legal and medical scrutiny.

The battle is still not over... We did not want to give up, so we appealed to Dan Edwardes of Parkour Generations for his assistance in moving this matter forward. We asked Dan because we had been talking to him for many months, getting advice on how to make things run. Part of our original mission was to establish a connection back to the early generations of traceurs in Europe in order to learn from them. Parkour Generations was that link for us, and they were doing very well at getting parkour institutionalized in the UK. The folks at Generations had, after all, managed to get positions teaching children in the public school systems, and also for the government of Westminster.. And they were running a very successful Parkour Academny. We thought if anyone could help us it was them.

Dan Edwardes graciously agreed to honor our request, and even offered to bring a whole crew of people along to make the effort more effective... So that is what is being spoken about in this video.

In the future, there are plans to release additional clips.. So we hope you enjoy this, and can benefit from it. We have worked so hard to keep it alive!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 06:15:50 AM by Muhammad »

Offline (t)Rainer

• Mangabey
  • "Parkour is a discipline, not a game" -TK-17
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour in America promo
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 08:01:45 PM »
I really liked it. PK Anwar is a beast with those cat leaps! I can't wait to see his first release!!! Keep up the good work, and I really can't wait until Memorial Weekend!!
"If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with. " -Michael Jackson

"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing." -Salvador Dali

...wanna run?
 Text me! or call.
765-977-7613

Offline misstanyamae

• Patas
  • I am come from a battle of Deeds Not Words.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:03:28 PM »
I agree with Rainer. Go PK Anwar!

Wow, so that's how everything went down with Parkour Generations. That's so great! I wish you guys the best of luck and hope that the event goes really well.
bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohooh

-James Joyce

her wounds     came     from the same source as her power
-Adrienne Rich

Offline Joseph Torchia

• Guenons
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 08:07:52 PM »
I am very excited to see the first released portion of Craig Pentak's film on parkour in America.  I, and the other members of the Columbus, Ohio parkour community look forward to seeing further installments and the end result which we hear will showcase traceurs, parkour community leaders, and others from  the local, regional, national, and international parkour communities.  I, as a director of Parkour Horizons, look forward to working cooperatively with all parkour communities and sharing our love of parkour.

Offline (t)Rainer

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 08:09:34 PM »
Sounds really good, and are you not going to the seminar Tanya?
"If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with. " -Michael Jackson

...wanna run?
 Text me! or call.
765-977-7613

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:11:41 PM »
wow, thats really well put together.  i cant wait to see the whole thing. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Parkour in America: Horizons
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 12:40:35 AM »
Just to clarify something for those who might not understand the situation Joseph was describing in this video when he was talking about the university..

When we tried to establish this club at OSU, the university demanded of us to produce all types of documents in order to be allowed to actually keep it going. Their demands were so difficult to reach in fact, it seemed they were trying to forcibly stop us from achieving our goal by putting up a wall of sheer bureaucracy.. They demanded to see risk mitigation plans, a fully developed curriculum, coaching certifications, liability forms, secondary insurance, and they even said there had to be a fully functional national governing body to represent us before they would even consider letting us keep our club. This was all AFTER they had told us we could have one. They changed their position while we were trying to set things up.

At this point, the club does not even officially exist! In an attempt to keep it alive, we all pitched in and began working in earnest to actually try and meet all the university's demands. They tried to drown us in paperwork, but we kept fighting our way back up to the surface. We actually tried to produce all of the forms, insurance, and other types of paperwork they demanded.

The battle is still not over... We did not want to give up, so we appealed to Dan Edwardes of Parkour Generations for his advice and assistance in moving this matter forward. We asked Dan because we had been talking to him for many months, getting advice on how to get this working. Afterall, Dan and company had done very well in the UK. Parkour Generations managed to get positions teaching children parkour in the public schools, and for the government of Westminster. We thought if anyone could help us it was them. Dan graciously agreed to honor our request, and offered to bring a whole crew of people along to make it more effective... So that is what is being spoken about in this video. In the future, there are plans to release additional clips describing the process we have been - and still are - going through... So we hope you enjoy this, and can benefit from it. We have worked so hard to keep it going.

Damn OSU.... I'm glad you guys are still fighting for what you believe in, and to show these bastards whats what!

Offline (t)Rainer

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 03:27:41 AM »
Lol, they aren't neccesarily those... but I hear you. You fighting inspires others to fight. Woot Woot for inspiration!

...wanna run?
 Text me! or call.
765-977-7613

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 12:40:39 PM »
Really great guys, can't wait for a finished product.
“You do freerunning or parkour, I don’t know, but both are the same. Some people are worried about it, but they are people that don’t train for too long, people that…in terms of training, aren’t mature yet. […] One day I’d like to wake up, open my window, and everyones doing parkour." -Ali Shelton

Offline mospunk

• Patas
  • Matt M.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 01:21:55 PM »
It's inspiring to see the dedication, cooperation, and organization for such an ordeal, whereas up until now, formal Parkour organizations of a grassroots type that focus on community and furthering the sport for itself have not been very visible, at least from what I've seen here.  There are plenty of groups, teams, and collaboration here, but this is definitely the next step up.  It shows me what can be accomplished, after wondering for a while why Parkour in America hasn't taken off in a much bigger way.  This seems to be a quest not for personal gains or glory, but truly for the love of the sport as a viable amalgamation of many sports and disciplines, which can educate and train people to reach their full potential and tackle all goals in life.  Well done guys, and I'm looking forward to the finished product.  I'm just disappointed that I can't make the seminar.   
Train safe, play hard, and dream of flight.

Offline (t)Rainer

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 01:28:59 PM »
I wish everyone could make it. I can't wait to meet and learn. It is going to be a blast.

...wanna run?
 Text me! or call.
765-977-7613

Offline Nick Kelly

• Mangabey
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Horizons
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 04:34:40 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! We're looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible on Memorial Day Weekend!

Offline (t)Rainer

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 09:39:22 PM »
No need to thank us. We thank you=D And I can't wait to see you either!

...wanna run?
 Text me! or call.
765-977-7613

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 11:52:55 PM »
This is a great documentary, however I don't understand the end, what's never been done in America?

I must say I also am confused by (or perhaps disagree with) the title, it seems to me it should be titled Parkour in Ohio, or maybe Parkour at OSU - there are MANY US colleges with official clubs. While your documentary is great and highlights the struggle of OSUPK, I don' think it is an accurate reflection of Parkour in America - many people started clubs and went through the standard procedure for starting a college / university club, don't they count?
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline (t)Rainer

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 03:17:38 AM »
True, it would have been sweet if they all made documentaries!!! Lol. Just kidding, but yeah just go look at thiis page-http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php-it is near the very bottom, the title says "College Boards"

...wanna run?
 Text me! or call.
765-977-7613

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 05:15:14 AM »
This is a great documentary, however I don't understand the end, what's never been done in America?

I must say I also am confused by (or perhaps disagree with) the title, it seems to me it should be titled Parkour in Ohio, or maybe Parkour at OSU - there are MANY US colleges with official clubs. While your documentary is great and highlights the struggle of OSUPK, I don' think it is an accurate reflection of Parkour in America - many people started clubs and went through the standard procedure for starting a college / university club, don't they count?

I think the reason the director chose that name is because this is the first in a series, and the later ones will cover interviews and footage with people from other communities. As for the stuff Joe was talking about, I'll let him explain that.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 05:59:51 AM »
Aha! The series idea makes sense, to me it would still be more accurate if it was

"Parkour In America"
"Volume 1 - The OSU Struggle for Recognition and Fair Play"

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 06:00:57 AM »

Agreed. It seems... misleading.  What's going on at OSU seems like just a microcosm of what's happened in America already.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 06:09:20 AM »
Yeah, maybe Craig (the director) will change the title again. He changed it once already I think because the guys had recommended it. He's been really cool about taking suggestions. This documentary project is his senior thesis at Ohio State. I think he will learn alot about parkour doing this documentary series. I will point him to this thread. I'm sure he would like to see the feedback on his work.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 06:17:19 AM »
I am very excited to see the first released portion of Craig Pentak's film on parkour in America.  I, and the other members of the Columbus, Ohio parkour community look forward to seeing further installments and the end result which we hear will showcase traceurs, parkour community leaders, and others from  the local, regional, national, and international parkour communities.  I, as a director of Parkour Horizons, look forward to working cooperatively with all parkour communities and sharing our love of parkour.