Author Topic: new at parkour.and a little scared  (Read 1642 times)

Offline parkour1996

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
new at parkour.and a little scared
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:41:11 AM »
i just started parkour like 2-3 days ago,and im sorta scared to do vaults,even on things i know i can. i just freeze with fear :-\.im fine with jumping off anything,im just not sure why i get so scared, if you have any advice for overcoming fear PLEASE post it on here.

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
Re: new at parkour.and a little scared
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 09:45:58 AM »
Welcome to Parkour, parkour1996

Fear is your companion in most everything you do in PK, it'll remind you not to push yourself over the limits, and maybe take a more progressive approach if you're going to go straight at something and suddenly freeze up.

I've been there myself, and so has every other traceur with a little common sense. It's a survival instinct. Take baby steps.

If there are specific moves you're afraid to do, create separat posts. A lot of people here have gone through the same and will be more than happy to tell you how they conquered their fears.

Good luck, buddy!
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline argetlam

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:26:14 AM »
Inspite of the fact that you should progress slowly and, make sre you are only doing what you can, or what you are comfortable doing, I encourage you not to think of certain moves but just on a simple vault that you want to complete, like a speed vault. If you can get one vault you can eventually get them all.

So if you want to do any vault the best progression is to get a feel for the obsticle in question, and then run up to it a few time and plant your hands on it in the way you would vault it. Then progress to being able to get on top of the object or get your legs above the objects hight without surpassing it to make sure you can actually clear it still using you hands as a bass. Now you probubly ready to vault the object, so just run at it, and use all the previous steps in one fluid motion to surpass the object. It is probubly best to find an obsticle over grass, as it is easy to fall on if something goes wrong.

One other thing is that if you can clear an object by jumping over it, the only step to vaulting it is to just place you hand on it while you are going over it.

Offline Nick Kelly

• Mangabey
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Horizons
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 06:02:35 AM »
i just started parkour like 2-3 days ago,and im sorta scared to do vaults,even on things i know i can. i just freeze with fear :-\.im fine with jumping off anything,im just not sure why i get so scared, if you have any advice for overcoming fear PLEASE post it on here.

One thing I'd like to add about fear is a great article by Dan Edwardes of Parkour Generations: http://www.parkourgenerations.com/articles.php?id_cat=2&idart=10

Something else I want to mention however is the "im find with jumping off anything" comment. The purpose of parkour is not to go jump off things. The goal of practicing parkour is to become a stronger person physically, mentally and emotionally. Doing anything that hampers these goals (like jumping off high things when you start which will cause long term join damage) should not be part of your training.

...and besides, you could keep yourself occupied with stuff at ground level for years and years. Whats the rush to go up high?  ;)