Author Topic: paleolithic diet  (Read 53748 times)

Offline stefan87

• Guenons
    • View Profile
paleolithic diet
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:22:16 AM »
From reading a lot of the topics in Diet section I came to a conclusion that we should follow the paleolithic diet.

But there are a lot of problems with that first one being money. Not everyone can afford to buy vegetables, fruit, nuts and lean meat all the time.

Also if all the humans followed this diet we would run out of food in a very short time.

I am also confused how scientists say that our bodies are still used to paleolithic diet while we have been eating grains for 10 000 years now, and I just can't believe that our bodies haven't got used to it yet.

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html
http://www.treasuretrooper.com/201414 get paid for surveys, not a scam

"Do whatever makes you happy!!!"

Offline BobT

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: paleolithic diet
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:43:47 AM »
Tolerance to grains varies widely based on your genetics.  Agriculture was introduced in certain parts of the world very early on and made the rounds on a more gradual basis.

Economics does get involved.  Grains are cheap to grow and cheap to process into foods.  That's why it was adopted - to support growing, localized populations.  If you feel you want to follow a paleo diet, do what you can.  It's your eating trends over time, not one meal, that will make the difference.

A few things to keep in mind (which, granted, you may already know):

You're not dieting - you're making a decision on what foods to eat.
Eat when you're hungry - not when sometime looks like it tastes good.
Don't get too hung up on lean meat - you can't do low carb and low fat - just try to balance your omega 6's and omega 3's

As for feeding the world - people better step up soon and face the challenges of maintaining a supportable eco-system or watch it collapse taking our food supply with it.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:56:03 PM »
A few things to keep in mind (which, granted, you may already know):

You're not dieting - you're making a decision on what foods to eat.
Eat when you're hungry - not when sometime looks like it tastes good.
Don't get too hung up on lean meat - you can't do low carb and low fat - just try to balance your omega 6's and omega 3's

Just clearing a few things up. A diet is simply the food consumed by a person or organism over a certain period of time. A person can describe themselves vegetarians meaning their diet consists of fruits and vegetables, for example. A diet is not something specifically to lose weight or to avoid the effects of diabetes or equivalent.

Hunger is a mechanism specifically controlled by the Hypothalamus that is triggered when your body needs something. Appetite is the other function (which you described) and as said, is usually explained as a craving. For example, you always eat a hot dog while watching baseball. Thus, the next time you go to a baseball game you will almost certainly consume a hot dog. It is a wise decision to learn the difference between the two.

Offline stefan87

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 06:25:44 PM »
After doing more research paleolithic diet is like common sense.

From now on I am going to try and follow it a closely as possible (world war III in my house is starting)

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Bear hunter-3rd in command
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »
(world war III in my house is starting)
Wow, I thought it ould take another year.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 07:36:10 PM »
I'm not going to preach or anything, or even here to start trouble, but to be quite frank...

But there are a lot of problems with that first one being money. Not everyone can afford to buy vegetables, fruit, nuts and lean meat all the time.

...I think that this is a very lame reason to not eat healthy. People in this world, this country in particular, tend to have an exorbitant amount of things that they don't need. Different people put values on different things, but to say that there is not enough money to take care of your body when so much money goes into clothes and cell phones and video games and televisions and computers.

on top of that, it can cost quite a bit less than you might think. I started trying to eat more healthy, and  prepare my own food, and I've been paying far less for food. i can make a smoothie that costs less than 2 bucks to make that is far better and cheaper for me than a 7 dollar big mac meal.

In the end you make your decisions, your priorities. I ate terrible for a long time, but I feel now, that if I want to be an athlete, I should take care of myself, as traceurs our bodies are our high performance equipment, I for one want to make sure I'm maintaining it correctly.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline stefan87

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 08:20:13 PM »
hardcoretraucer I completely agree with you, I was talking about people in general especially Americans who worry about their health a lot but do little about it. And being a society were material values are extremely high we tend to forget about out priorities. 2 months ago I was the same, I needed a new car, TV, computer, xbox 360, ps3 and I realized that I wanted not needed.

Not having enough money to eat healthy is a lame reason. Perfect example is my mother who only buys food thats on sale not caring if its healthy or not.

Oh and yeah littleninja world war 3 did start in my house lol since I decided to be a healthier and more productive. sometimes I even have to skip lunches in my house in order to eat healthy.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 08:43:03 PM »
sometimes I even have to skip lunches in my house in order to eat healthy.

As I've said before unhealthy eating is better than no eating in most situations. Obviously there are extremes involved but skipping meals is just as bad as eating the unhealthy stuff

Offline stefan87

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 08:56:25 PM »

As I've said before unhealthy eating is better than no eating in most situations. Obviously there are extremes involved but skipping meals is just as bad as eating the unhealthy stuff

Sorry I meant to say that I would refuse to eat what my mom or grandma have prepared for lunch, and I would make my own or just go out and buy a healthy meal. Even if it means not eating lunch with my whole family.

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 07:38:22 AM »
i wish a mod would sticky this thread so everyone will see it forever... i'll send a p.m.
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline gadget23

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 10:53:32 AM »

Sorry I meant to say that I would refuse to eat what my mom or grandma have prepared for lunch, and I would make my own or just go out and buy a healthy meal. Even if it means not eating lunch with my whole family.

*cringes* yeah, if I told my mom I refused to eat her cooking, it'd be world war III aswell.

and grains are a staple of any indian diet  :-\

Offline stefan87

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 06:50:07 PM »
I tried following this diet strictly today but It didn't work that well. I felt little sick and didn't have enough energy, so I figured out to start slowly. I am going to eat a healthy breakfast for the first month and then dinner and eventually move on too lunch too.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 07:46:04 PM »
I tried following this diet strictly today but It didn't work that well. I felt little sick and didn't have enough energy, so I figured out to start slowly. I am going to eat a healthy breakfast for the first month and then dinner and eventually move on too lunch too.

Anecdotally, from what I've seen it takes about 2-3 weeks for a body to adjust with wholescale changes in diet.

Basically, if you've previously eaten tons of sugar you're gonna feel like crap until your body can clear up everything and start processing good food well.

If you have the discipline to go into it slowly go for it. On the other hand, for some it may be better to jump right in and feel like crap before it turns good.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 07:56:59 PM »
I'm with steve...

if you got the willpower and drive, jump right in headfirst and feel like hell for 2 or 3 weeks then u will feel like a champion once u detox.

if you know that you need to take things one step at a time, then go that route.....

you know your body better than anyone else

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 08:29:49 PM »
When I help people start eating better, I usually try the phased in over stages plan. I usually start by them cutting out soda and replacing it with water. I give them a few days to a week on that (depending on the person, their willpower, etc). Then cut out obvious junk food (cookies at the cafeteria, pretty much anything from a vending machine). Usually cutting out as many things with High Fructose Corn Syrup is next, etc.

For someone who really wants to change, but you suspect might be a bit too weak to give it all up at once, giving up one thing at a time really helps ease into it. 

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 08:32:59 PM »
i will third steve and phreak because i have personally "gone on this diet". yes you will feel drained for about 2 weeks. however, that made me give myself an honest assessment of how many hours i slept a night. when i slept a full 8 it was not so bad  :o . you will find it easier to sleep at night also due to lack of excess sugars and caffeine.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 08:52:07 PM »
This diet plan sounds solid, I'm not gonna lie though, I like to cheat every once in a while, a soda here, a candy bar there.
I'm going to jail soon, probably this coming week due to a probation violation, I won't go into detail but obviously I'll have to eat what they give me, there will be no option of going to the kitchen and fixing a healthy meal.

But when I get out, I'll try to conform as much as I can to this diet.
However with my non-existent budget I'm forced to eat what's in my grandmothers kitchen and I'm gonna be the first to tell you she doesn't have a whole lot of healthy foods in there.. lol

Offline stefan87

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 09:03:38 PM »
In my opinion jumping right in is a bad idea. Just like parkour you don't want to be doing jumps off a 10ft + heights (I have done that before just to show off) and getting hurt and not being able to do it again. If you jump into something right away it might be so unpleasant that you will get discouraged from doing it ever again. Happens to a lot of people who finally start to exercise and decide to run instead of walking first.

Here are the stages that I am doing

1. Drink water, juice that you made, and tea that you make
2. No more vending machines food (candy,chips etc...)
3. No more McDonald's and such unless you are getting a salad without dressing and croutans (they nasty anyway)
4. Eat as little sugar as possible
5. Cut out unhealthy bread (this is were I am right now)
6. No more grains/dairy (prob the hardest stage because we grew up eating this and our bodies are so used to it for energy)
7. Start paleolithic diet with breakfast only in the beginning and move from there

Comments welcome

Offline stefan87

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »
This diet plan sounds solid, I'm not gonna lie though, I like to cheat every once in a while, a soda here, a candy bar there.
I'm going to jail soon, probably this coming week due to a probation violation, I won't go into detail but obviously I'll have to eat what they give me, there will be no option of going to the kitchen and fixing a healthy meal.

However with my non-existent budget I'm forced to eat what's in my grandmothers kitchen and I'm gonna be the first to tell you she doesn't have a whole lot of healthy foods in there.. lol

Damn jail? that sucks, I don't even know what to tell you, I have never even been close to being arrested. Good luck

I think that cheating is ok if you can control yourself if not then don't cheat at all, otherwise you might go back to your old habits again

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 09:07:51 PM »

damn it paddy you better knock the bullshit off! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
anyways, live and learn. once you get out dont go back. :)