Author Topic: paleolithic diet  (Read 52574 times)

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
Re: paleolithic diet
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2008, 09:44:32 AM »
**again not suggesting anyone else do the same, without research or consulting a medical professional**

i put them in smoothies, they make them totally delicious.

there's are findings that show only like 1 in 30k eggs has salmonella, and that salmonella will mean little more than a sick day for a healthy person.

I also try to buy eggs with as many of these descriptors as possible: organic, cage free, free range, no hormones, no pesticides, no antibiotics, omega 3, not fed animal products

with the smoothies, i can throw some good stuff in there, whip it up, chug it down, and rinse it out all in about 5 minutes, no cleaning plates or pans
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Smite me, Oh Mighty Smiter!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2008, 07:07:49 AM »
^ truth

I had salmonella when i was a baby, we used to live on a farm and i got it from the chickens. Except i was really sick, probably cus i was a little'un. It can rip your system up though.
Ive actually been contemplating putting them in smoothies. I just dont think ther is much of a point to plain raw eggs
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:09:22 AM by E.T. »
ProParkour--ANTI-ADVERB!!!!!

If you don't like their rules, Refuse to play their game.
Anarchy is not CHAOS, but order without CONTROL.
Frederick, MD PK

Offline Eso

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2008, 07:50:43 AM »
Hold on, I don't mean to get you guys off the egg thing, but why exactly are beans bad? It's like the two big diet threads are saying opposite things.

Phreaknite, in the White/Wheat thread listed beans/legumes as one of the best carbs:

1) Fresh Veggies
2) Fresh Fruits
3) Beans/Legumes
3) Fruit Juices (100% Juice)
4) Cooked Veggies
5) Cooked Fruits
6) Dried Fruits
7) Starchy vegetables (Potatoes, etc)
 Grains (Breads, Pastas, etc)
9) Rice
10) Natural unrefined sugars
11) Refined sugars

Everyone agreed with him there. Just wondering.

Offline Eso

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2008, 07:58:17 AM »
Dairy, too! I don't get it. Say you were trying to eat less meat, for whatever reason, where do you get your protein from besides the eggs and a little from the nuts?

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2008, 08:04:48 AM »
i saw that beans where 3rd on that list also. i disagree but i just thought it was a difference of opinion. beans are not "bad" , and i did not argue there place on that list because its hard to really make a 1-10 healthy list with only healthy food. Imo i would not put cooked vegies below 100% fruit juice. thats due to american's typical serving sizes. to me vegies (cooked or raw) are best, then fruit(fresh), then beans, etc. basically beans are not bad but green leafy vegies are better.
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2008, 08:12:12 AM »
Dairy, too! I don't get it. Say you were trying to eat less meat, for whatever reason, where do you get your protein from besides the eggs and a little from the nuts?

dairy gives you less protien then you think if you are trying to replace meat with it (excluding eggs). im not going to judge anyone who wants to eat less meat. however, if you train hard i don't know why you would want less of it and if your ok with eating eggs then i don't see why an adult chicken is worse. try to google a high protein vegetarian diet. im sure there is some way to get your protein that way.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2008, 09:52:35 AM »
You're looking at it as an overall 'healthy' issue, but it's not quite like that.
As far as carbs[/i] go, beans are up on the list because they're a lower GI, meaning less of a 'sugar spike' effect. The paleolithic diet shuns beans because they contain toxins. They were inedible before we could cook them. They're saying that sometimes, even after cooking, especially if not cooked well enough, still contain some toxins. Don't think like DEADLY toxins, but they still aren't great for you. You could have beans and still be okay, and if it's all you have to eat, EAT IT. However, if you're going for even more optimal health, avoid them.
Personally, I've found that with only maybe a week or two of adjustment, you can change to a paleolithic diet and have no problem.

Offline stefan87

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2008, 10:54:09 AM »
You're looking at it as an overall 'healthy' issue, but it's not quite like that.
As far as carbs[/i] go, beans are up on the list because they're a lower GI, meaning less of a 'sugar spike' effect. The paleolithic diet shuns beans because they contain toxins. They were inedible before we could cook them. They're saying that sometimes, even after cooking, especially if not cooked well enough, still contain some toxins. Don't think like DEADLY toxins, but they still aren't great for you. You could have beans and still be okay, and if it's all you have to eat, EAT IT. However, if you're going for even more optimal health, avoid them.
Personally, I've found that with only maybe a week or two of adjustment, you can change to a paleolithic diet and have no problem.

clap  ;D

http://www.treasuretrooper.com/201414 get paid for surveys, not a scam

"Do whatever makes you happy!!!"

Offline Eso

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2008, 01:38:14 PM »
I just mentioned eating less meat because I've read about some world-class athletes who are vegetarians or eat little meat. That kind of diet works for them, I suppose. I personally could never cut meat out completely, but I'd be interested in seeing whether I perform better or worse with less of it.

I see what you're saying Aeroblitz. I'd just like to keep a broader range of "healthy" foods to choose from, so I'm not eating eggs every morning and nuts for lunch, you know? Though I'm sure there's a way to keep variety in this diet.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2008, 06:18:50 PM »
Hell yeah, there's variety =D
Think about it
Meats:
Simply put,
Livestock
Birds
Fish

Think of the 193751971597 different types of food you have. You can change it up a lot. Personally, I'd keep meat in my diet if I were you.

I can't even go into how many different vegetables and fruits there are, ohmahlord.
It's good stuff. =]

and stefan, thanks for the applause. I'm really glad to be useful with the information I've learned. Thanks. =]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 06:21:31 PM by Aeroblitz »

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2008, 09:21:14 PM »
No beans?  I don't do well with diets that don't allow Chipotle.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline BobT

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2008, 08:09:34 AM »

It really depends on the bean in question.  Many plants are inedible prior to cooking because of high concentrations of alkaloids (this is why you can't eat green tomatoes).  Many alkaloids break down with heat which is why we can eat these foods post-cooking.

On the other hand soybeans have a variety of phyto-estrogen compounds that only break down through fermentation and really aren't fit for consumption in any form other than soy sauce (next time you're at the supermarket, check out how many things contain soy-protien isolate... scary).

Read up on the different varieties of beans and decide what's good for your diet.

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2008, 12:03:03 PM »
No beans?  I don't do well with diets that don't allow Chipotle.

dude you can be paleo and go to chipotle all the time. check out the fajita burrito bowl next time your there. it has no beans and try without rice for the full effect.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2008, 02:35:38 PM »
Yeah, I know.. I just like the beans.  :P
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2008, 09:38:53 AM »
it's unhealthy to cut meat out of your diet.
sure you can live without it, but if you watch South Park... you'd know that not eating meat makes it to where you turn into a GIANT PUSSY!!! :D ;D :D

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2008, 10:42:56 AM »
So a Paleolithic diet can provide pretty much all your body needs to function? What essentials are being substitued from taking grains, beans, potatoes, and dairy/milk out of your diet? What would you need for a higher intake of Vitamin D in place of milk, etc. esp. if Soymilk is considered Neolithic?

Offline BobT

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2008, 12:46:17 PM »
So a Paleolithic diet can provide pretty much all your body needs to function? What essentials are being substitued from taking grains, beans, potatoes, and dairy/milk out of your diet? What would you need for a higher intake of Vitamin D in place of milk, etc. esp. if Soymilk is considered Neolithic?

Your body synthesises vitamin D.  Just get out in the sun occasionally.

Soymilk??? :o  Don't even go there.

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2008, 03:39:56 PM »
Why not? That was just an example though, what I guess I'm asking is can you really get everything you need with this diet? And with milk, besides vitamin d is there anything else you need from it? and would that be fufilled with this diet? im so skeptical baha xP

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2008, 04:57:12 PM »
Why not? That was just an example though, what I guess I'm asking is can you really get everything you need with this diet? And with milk, besides vitamin d is there anything else you need from it? and would that be fufilled with this diet? im so skeptical baha xP

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline BobT

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2008, 06:58:27 AM »

As I posted earlier (about 8 items up the list), soy has a number of phyto-estrogen compounds that do not do the body good.  Additionally most soy is a GMO.  Opinions may vary, but I'd suggest avoiding any GMOs in the diet - especially if you have any paleo intentions.