Author Topic: practicing parkour with glasses  (Read 11431 times)

Offline gadget23

• Guenons
    • View Profile
practicing parkour with glasses
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »
do any of you guys wear glasses? do you wear them while you practice parkour?

because i currently can't afford contact lenses, and i have 20/60 vision, which is pretty bad, i guess. so i can't go without them, but i'm scared that they're gonna break one day.

just wondering if you guys have been able to practice without breaking your glasses  :)

Offline Aaron Neale

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: practicing parkour with glasses
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:36:05 AM »
yeah i have glasses, and they stay on for pretty much everything ive done. Except one time I did a backflip of a tree stump and they fell into the grass. it took a while to find them but i did.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:53:51 AM »
If you're worried about them flying off, when we go jetskiing we have this thing for sunglasses that slides onto the back of the glasses, and then wraps around your head.

It's pretty sweet, and doesn't really look dorky.

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 10:56:26 AM »
Get contacts :] I started off wearing glasses and hot damn am I glad I made the plunge into contacts, mega worth it!

Offline Casper

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 11:10:58 AM »
I did around a 10 foot drop into grass and in the following roll, my glasses flew off my head. Up walks my friend and I hear a horrible *crunch*.
Yep.
Broken glasses.

I wear contacts now haha. But if you can't get them I would definitely go with the head-strap.
Stairs are for Squares.

You can hide, but you can't run!

Offline oranges

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 07:14:21 PM »
ehhh i wear glasses, and i dont really ever find mine falling off. and even then i dont think it would matter.. my vision isnt really that bad
Hide your babies!

Offline NICK DAGGER

• Nick Dagger P.I.
  • Mangabey
  • I AM NICK DAGGER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:29:54 PM »
All of my glasses are broken in some way because they all fly off when I randomly do something.
All I need is a small elastic band that can be hidden in my hair, and is comfortable to wear all day.
Those types of bands exist (I used to have some) , but i'm finding out that they are EXTREMELY HARD to find. All I can seem to find are huge sports bands that are anything but discrete, big black bands people use for their sunglasses on the beach so they can hang them on their neck, And another worthless shoe string type band that only keeps the glasses on your neck if they fall off. Im betting the small elastic bands are so hard to find because nobody buys them. There aren't that many people that randomly like to flip off stuff.

The next time I see those small bands, Im seriously going to try to buy a whole box of them at a discount. I had two of them and lost both.

Its the lamest thing in the world to randomly do an awesome flip or vault when people are watching, and then have to go pick up, or even worse have to go look my glasses that flew off.

No, I will not put something in my eye. It's not happening.

Offline Zackw.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 09:58:09 PM »
Well if you dont want to get contacts and dont like big bands around your head maybe try a tughter pair of glasses that kindove clip to your head. There are a couple of people i know from sfparkour that do pk with there glasses and ive never seen them have a problem but who knows. and im SURE they have those hard to find bands somewhere on the internet for you to buy and tey will be alot easier to find on the internet so try google or something ^.^

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 01:24:54 AM »
my glasses have never come off, and id ont use the bands we have. i guess mine are tighter on my head.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline Worm

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 05:55:06 AM »
My prescription doesn't change too horribly when I get a new pair of glasses, so I always keep the last pair as a backup and use those for parkour.  I have them adjusted a bit so they're pretty tight--I've never had them fly off, ever.  Unfortunately, my current "parkour glasses" have big, round, Harry Potter-style frames, lol... but whatever.  They work.

Jaycee123

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »
yea i train with glasses there are benifits and disadvantages of course. Flips (free running) definately causes one to lose glases or even a simply roll too. A few times ive had to rummage about though the grass to find them! I cant fit contacts into my evey the doc says my senses are to sharp to have a piece of contact shoved into my eye lmao. Usually i just find them and go on with training :)

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »
Well if you dont want to get contacts and dont like big bands around your head maybe try a tughter pair of glasses that kindove clip to your head. There are a couple of people i know from sfparkour that do pk with there glasses and ive never seen them have a problem but who knows. and im SURE they have those hard to find bands somewhere on the internet for you to buy and tey will be alot easier to find on the internet so try google or something ^.^
Like the one Morpheus has in The Matrix? Dude that would be awesome!!

http://www.anysunglasses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IW-1&Category_Code=Matrix

I don't know if they do prescription... :-\
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Nhan Du

• Patas
  • Spidernon
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 08:48:35 PM »
I wear glasses and they only come off if I'm really sweaty and rolling. It doesn't necessarily have to be parkour for that to happen, either. Also, TK17 wears glasses and he's mega-skilled, so I don't think they'll be a problem. What we should do is train while wearing sunglasses and trenchcoats so that parkour will start getting more press time.

"Police are at the scene of what they 'think' is a bank robbery in progress as what appears to be characters from The Matrix movies were spotted flying around the ledges outside of the building..."

Offline Yixin (pronounced ee-shin)

• Patas
  • I am Yli
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »
yea i train with glasses there are benifits and disadvantages of course. Flips (free running) definately causes one to lose glases or even a simply roll too. A few times ive had to rummage about though the grass to find them! I cant fit contacts into my evey the doc says my senses are to sharp to have a piece of contact shoved into my eye lmao. Usually i just find them and go on with training :)

I learned how to roll properly much more quickly because I had glasses on when practicing. It also teaches you to keep your face well away from things.
"Madness.  (Sparta, etc.)"-Graham Hughes

Offline kwazi

• Patas
  • "Now its a monkey car"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 06:03:40 AM »
My glasses would probably stay on, unless I'm doing flips or something, but i prefer to wear my athletic goggles. "rec specs". They look real stylish, and they never come off, thanks to the straps. You kinda lose some of your peripheral vision.
I am the young man, full of strength and hope,
Tangled in that ancient endless chain
Of profit, power, gain, of grab the land!
Of grab the gold! Of grab the ways of satisfying need!
Of work the men! Of take the pay!
Of owning everything for one's own greed!

Offline gadget23

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 12:59:12 PM »
actually, i was thinking, and hoping, to get contacts. because i also love to run, but once the sweat starts running down my face, my glasses slide off constantly.

i know that everyone's prescription and brand is different, but how much do they generally run for? because if they can last long enough to be less than 200 dollars for every few years, i'll seriously consider them.

VERY stupid question: you can't wear them while swimming, can you? i know you really don't need them, but sometimes i spontaneously jump into the pool, and if i am wearing contacts, i'm screwed.

Offline Dan [The Man] Evans

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 05:49:55 PM »
actually, i was thinking, and hoping, to get contacts. because i also love to run, but once the sweat starts running down my face, my glasses slide off constantly.

i know that everyone's prescription and brand is different, but how much do they generally run for? because if they can last long enough to be less than 200 dollars for every few years, i'll seriously consider them.

VERY stupid question: you can't wear them while swimming, can you? i know you really don't need them, but sometimes i spontaneously jump into the pool, and if i am wearing contacts, i'm screwed.
You can swim with them, but if you open your eyes underwater they can just pop out.
And I'm not really sure of my price, because I'm still covered by my dad's insurance, but on 1-800-contacts, it looks like 160ish for my brand for 1 year. The contacts are usually 1 month wear, but you can usually get 1.5 or 2 months out of a pair. Unless you have too sensitive of eyes.

Offline Cord Zwirner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 06:14:22 PM »
My vision is 70/60, and while I do wear glasses, I never wear them when I train.
brushing your teeth helps you lose weight?

hmmm....

Offline Chris Lyons

• Mangabey
  • Necessity is the mother of invention.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 04:33:27 AM »
Just make sure the glasses are tight on your head... bend them a little bit and they wont come off your face... mine havent yet..
Fly without wings.

Offline gadget23

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 09:30:15 AM »
what kind of contact lenses do you contact lense wearers use: gas permeable or soft ones?