Author Topic: Making Money from Parkour Merchandise?  (Read 2062 times)

spider1

Making Money from Parkour Merchandise?
« on: June 27, 2006, 06:08:44 AM »
Edited by M2: Spider, that word's a lot worse in the US than it is elsewhere :)

Hiya,

I have seen this mostly over in the uk more then anywhere. That clans/crews/gangs, are using Parkour to draw people in to there site then buy t-shirts to sell on as Parkour shirts, I think this is wrong, I was just posting to see what you lot think about this, Should clans be using Parkour in a way of making money.

What I think is people will post about Parkour and its what they want to where to repersent Parkour and there favourite Parkour clan.

Do you think this is right, Views please.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 06:13:29 AM by M2 »

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: Making Money from Parkour Merchandise?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 06:16:25 AM »
APK sells shirts, and Tutorial DVD's. Check the thread to see what people think of the DVD. I hope to make a living related to Parkour, there are several ways to get income:

Merchandise
Paid Training
Paid Media (commercials, etc)

Due to my age and ability, the first two are the only viable solutions for me. So, personally I don't have any problem with it.

As for a clan making a shirt, who do you think is buying them? If someone wants to pay for the shirt, why is it bad to be selling it? It's not like you can MAKE someone buy an article with the word Parkour on it, you can only offer it, and if someone wants it, they will buy it.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline shiroboi

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 07:00:36 AM »
Lets put it this way.  The enthusiasts like M2 and other people that fork out their own money for the good of the sport are the ones that should be rewarded somewhat for their hard efforts.  Even David Belle lives with his mother because he can't afford his own place.  Obviously, there's money to be made and I'd rather that money go back to the enthusaists, the real people doing parkour.  That way the money's actually benefiting the community.  Whats not so cool is when big companies get it and exploit the art in the name of money.  I don't see anything wrong with a professional skier trying hard and earning an honest living by skiing, nor do I see anything wrong with parkour enthusiasts selling T-Shirts.  I'm thankful that people are putting out DVDs so we can all learn, how is that a bad thing?

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 12:56:30 PM »
Also, think of it this way:
David belle was talking to us about this in New York a few weeks back. He uses parkour to make money. he does movies, commercials, etc. is that selling out? its not when you use that money to further your parkour experience. without making money off of parkour, he would never be able to travel and expand his experiences to what they are to day, and I wish to be in the same boad some day. As for selling t-shirts... I personally love having a bunch of parkour t-shirts. and if you think its wrong, nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy one. So i think it all depends on the behind the scenes motivations and processes that, as an outsider looking in, you would have no idea as to what is going through the seller's mind and have no reason to accuse the person of selling out just because they sell a t-shirt.

Pawa sells t-shirts now, too ;)

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 01:17:34 PM »
Right.  There's a difference between making money off PK and selling-out.  If your express concern is to make money or to make a name for yourself, then I think there's a problem there.  But if money's just coming in on the side... if you use that money to keep websites running, to keep the community going, to ensure that you can keep training and making yourself better... thent here isn't a problem with it.  The issue is whether you keep the spirit of Parkour alive or not.  There are those who make money off of it who are doing it for the wrong reasons.  And there are those who simply are just making a bit of cash.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia