Author Topic: WMU Campus Police/Campus Liability Problems  (Read 1992 times)

Offline heavilyrxmedicated

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
WMU Campus Police/Campus Liability Problems
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:53:03 AM »
Hi all; I just came in from a confrontation with the campus police around where I live, and I have been told to discontinue practicing on campus property. Any suggestions? There are some REALLY nice spots on campus (Western Michigan University), but as far as I know I am the only traceur around here, so I can't really form a Registered Student Organization, and I doubt that they have liability waivers for this type of thing... What should I do? I'd like to NOT have to travel to Ann Arbor to practice... Anyways, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
Re: WMU Campus Police/Campus Liability Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »
The problem likely lies in misunderstanding of parkour, on their part or on yours (I'm not accusing you of anything, I simply do not know you). If you are practicing in the scope of what you should be practicing as a beginner, there shouldn't really be anything that would look dangerous- precisions on curbs, ground-level vaults, conditioning, etc... However, someone has obviously deemed what you were doing dangerous whether it be to yourself, others, or property.
I would try to set up a meeting with campus safety and explain to them what parkour is and emphasize safety. Try to set up an appointment and post back up here and I'll help you with some points to discuss with them. Do NOT go out and disregard their wishes by training anyway. Good luck.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline heavilyrxmedicated

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: WMU Campus Police/Campus Liability Problems
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 05:51:25 PM »
This has been resolved...  It was just my bad explanation of my personal safety standards due to my freaking out because a cop was approaching me (and I for some reason always fear arrest). I went back out after posting my 1st comment with a decent explanation of what I was doing and how much I put emphasis on my safety, and talked to the guy again, and he was cool with what level I was practicing at, as long as I kept emphasis on safety (as I always do...). Sorry for the lack of updates, but I've been busy with a weeklong game of Humans vs Zombies on campus, and didn't think to update this until just now...