Author Topic: I can't Believe I'm reading this. (Fight Thread from UF)  (Read 6038 times)

Offline willgrind747

• Patas
  • Calm like a Bomb
    • View Profile
    • OHIO Parkour
Re: I can't Believe I'm reading this. (Fight Thread from UF)
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 09:10:41 PM »
M2 I agree completely on your views of self defense, but i just get feeling this situation wasn't exactly forced, and that combined with the atttude just makes me sick.
""No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 02:10:41 AM »
A freind of mine Dan Chomychia www.extremecst.com who teaches classes for security professionals talks about the concept of appriate force. In genereal its our job to be able to respond to violence with lower level in response. You do not respond to punches with punches in less your in danger of serious bodily harm. In my time as bouncer I have never, punched, kicked, elbowed, kneed, or used submission holds on any one. People I have worked with have had to do most of those things in situations were they were physical threatened(roided out cokeheads or multiple opponents) but it hasn't happened to me yet. I think this is good philosophy of self defense, I never bought the anyone who challenges me is walking out in stretcher attitude from some martial artists to me it indicates fear. If you possess mastery then you can defeat your opponent while preventing harm to yourself your opponent and innocent bystanders.

That said I am not pacifist and I think bullies sometimes need their asses handed to them to teach them a lesson. When I was in kindergarten I faced my first physical confrontation outside of sibling stuff, I was being bullied by an older kid I fought back and he left me and my freinds alone after that. Pretty much since then I have had love of physical confrontation. Luckily my parents channeled me into martial arts and I absorbed the principles of non-violence, but having been in a few physical confrontations, I can tell you as much as I dislike the idea of hurting people in concept, I have walked away from ever physical confrontation with feeling euphoria.

I am not sure what I am trying to say here. I guess I can partly understand were he is coming from the pride he has in having triumphed in physical confration. I don't respect the way he expresses himself and I have no way to really judge if how he acted in the situation was truly appropriate, I just think its important to understand how physical confronation can effect a person.

Untill you have been in actual fight you can't know who you would respond in that situation or following it.

I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Deft

• Definitely NOT a wanker...
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 05:40:59 AM »
Quote M2- Most fights are out of insecurity. If you have nothing to prove, then 999/1000 times you will have nothing to fight over.

That is a really good point that I never considered. I do think most fights are unnessary/avoidable but I never thought about it as a insecurity issue. Still- if someone threw a weapon at me I would probably not remain the better person and parkour myself away, but instead I would change the situation from defensive to offensive. I would rather him leave with tail tucked between legs.

The joy of surpassing the limits of the body is open to all.
-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 08:40:38 AM »
I think that in all reality its the BIG DOG, SMALL DOG.  This guy thought that he was the big dog by throwing the stupid skateboard at him.  Well the small dog proved him wrong.  I would have to say in a perfect civil way there should be no such thing as revenge.  If you get hit "turn the other cheek"?  Well W.W.J.D could come into this but its freakin cheesy.

If I think I could take the guy who throw the skateboard at me I would probably want to hurt the guy who did it.  If the guy is a freakin Arnold looking dude.  You would probably leave him alone or run.  So yea.  A lot of what M2 said is right with the insecurity.

The Youth Councilor seemed to have a little remorse for his actions but he was standing next to what he did.  He was taking the responsibility and saying that he could have been wrong...but hey...with what happened to him, he didn't want to be wrong.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging