Author Topic: wall runs  (Read 4510 times)

Offline freeinillusion

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
wall runs
« on: March 24, 2008, 04:13:01 PM »
im havin some trouble with my wall runs. :-\
if u have any tips i would greatly apreciate them!!! ;)
I try again to fly,
But to long have I been,
stuck to earthly bounds.

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Bear hunter-3rd in command
    • View Profile
Re: wall runs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 04:40:54 PM »
Be more specific!

Offline freeinillusion

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:51:18 AM »
i can never actually go upwards when i try one i kinda just hit the wal and fall back downd(not litterally running headfirst intoa wall). i can't figure out how to push off the wall.
I try again to fly,
But to long have I been,
stuck to earthly bounds.

Offline fr33runner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 01:12:49 PM »
Probably around 50% of the flaws in wall running is the technique. The other 50% are generally weather conditions. I assume you are not trying the wall run while it is raining or on a granite wall right ::) The way that works the best IMO is to make sure that you are kicking off at a 45 degree angle. Also, Doing the wallrun at a low speed (Light jog) will generally not give a beginner enough power and momentum to get up a wall. So if you lightly jog until you get to about 10 feet from the wall and all-out sprint you should be fine for speed. Then, when you kick off the wall, Make sure that you are pushing up AND away. Pushing straight up will cause your feet to slide. Then again, If you kick off at a 45 degree angle it would be hard NOT to go up and out. Good luck!
-Fr33Runner

Offline Publime

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 08:31:04 PM »
Wall runs are a necessity for just about all parkour and free running maneuvers, if you're having trouble even getting up the wall to start out with i suggest you hit the gym and exercise those legs of yours. Then you could try gaining some muscle memory by just repeating the basic push off the wall so you can get used to it. Best of luck to you :)

Offline Jessica Foltin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:59:23 PM »
You're most likely not focused, looking, at the right spot.  When I first started wall runs, I kept on looking at where I was planting my foot.  Remember, you will always go where you focus to go.  So don't look at the wall, look up where you want to go, which I'm assuming is the top of the wall.  Look up, go up.  I found wall runs to be mostly a mental thing, you must believe you want to go over the wall, you must focus on the top of the wall, you must go over the wall.  There is nothing else.  Give it a try on focusing and looking up at the top of the wall.  Hope this helps.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 04:33:00 AM »
one time, however, i was so focused on the top of the wall and so determined to get there that i actually forgot the jumping part... literally just ran full steam into the wall.  just thought i'd throw that out there...
Queen of Puns

Offline Nhan Du

• Patas
  • Spidernon
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 06:18:43 AM »
When I wall run, I try to think of it like I'm pole-vaulting with my leg. As a visual, hold one hand with your fingers straight pointing towards the ceiling. Have your other hand facing the first hand with your fingers straight pointing horizontal to the ground. Now run your horizontal hand into the vertical hand and kind of pole-vault it up.

That's what your leg should be doing to your body. If you go too slow, you won't have enough momentum to complete the the vault.

Offline Cody Robinson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »
Take the advice above and watch this video. The second move is a wall run from two different angles. Think sideways.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wLfzeIOLaow&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wLfzeIOLaow&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 09:30:56 AM »
Around 35 seconds into the video it looked like he jumped way to far from the wall to do a wall run...but wait...omg

THAT WAS "STEROIDS" IN THE VIDEO!!!

haha : ]]
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Chris Lyons

• Mangabey
  • Necessity is the mother of invention.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 04:34:06 AM »
the wall run is basicaly the same as walking up a realy steep hill. you have to jump and get one foot on the wall and then PUSH!!

for gods sake PUSH... and i mean upwards not out
Fly without wings.

Offline Y4ZT

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 08:18:03 PM »
its about using your forward momentum to increase your grip on the wall, how u gradualy use your momentum carying you to the wall and exert oposing force.

Offline bob smith

• Patas
  • Philosophical Badass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 09:02:55 PM »
the wall run is basicaly the same as walking up a realy steep hill. you have to jump and get one foot on the wall and then PUSH!!

Since when do people go up hills by jumping?

Offline Chris Lyons

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 04:31:07 AM »

Since when do people go up hills by jumping?

you've obviously never been to the french alps... heh, Im kidding. But thats not what I meant, I used walking up a hill as an example for AFTER you get on the wall... the jump part was thrown in just to make the sentence make sense.
Fly without wings.

Offline freeinillusion

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 03:09:37 PM »
thanks for all the suggestions guys!! ;D
I try again to fly,
But to long have I been,
stuck to earthly bounds.

Offline Nhan Du

• Patas
  • Spidernon
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 08:29:09 PM »
thanks for all the suggestions guys!! ;D

Hold on. Tell us if it worked. From the smiley I'm guessing 'yeah', but let us know. Are you nailing those wallruns now?

Offline Chris Lyons

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 04:30:23 AM »
speaking of wall runs, how high should an average run be? Iv been using school walls (about 10 feet i think) and can get up about 9 of those 10 (I think, i cant really measure them). That still feels too short, and most videos Iv seen people get a verticle run of almost twice their body height.

any ideas?
Fly without wings.

Offline Nhan Du

• Patas
  • Spidernon
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 04:37:15 AM »
It all boils down to conditioning and training.  When I first started 10 months ago and started training wallruns I could get a 10 footer maybe 3 out of 5 tries and be sore for the new couple days. Now I can hit a 12 footer 4 out 5 times and the 10 I do on every attempt. Just keep training and it'll come.

Offline Chris Lyons

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 05:24:17 AM »
ok, thanks spidy.

Iv never been sore after practicing parkour though, its only after I get home from practice for rowing that I become sore
Fly without wings.

Offline Nhan Du

• Patas
  • Spidernon
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 05:28:50 AM »
Rowing? Well that explains it. You've got shoulder and arm muscles of a god. I don't get sore for wall runs anymore, but those first couple months was torture. It's all that topping out and pulling yourself over that I wasn't used to. Keep training and update us with your progress man.