Author Topic: Age topic on .net, Too young to start?  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
Age topic on .net, Too young to start?
« on: February 20, 2006, 01:51:34 PM »
M2: Unique, please use titles that have SOMETHING to do with what's in your post :) Thanks.

Give me your insights on this
http://parkour.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=Object&topic_id=3846&post_id=0&order=0&viewmode=flat&pid=60830&

now me? I disagree my bro is on my pk team and hes the one who really got me started in parkour.
Did i mention his done pk 5months before me and hes now 12 that mean he started when he was 11.But thats my opinion. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:21:26 AM by M2 »
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me of what you think of this topic.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 02:15:43 PM »
There are a few sides to it. Some times when the younger kids get a hold of something like parkour, they dont take into consideration that their bones and muscles are not fully developed and might be easily damaged. Another side to it is of course kids want to have fun. they might not think about safety factors on their own and might need some proper guidance. People ususally learn their limits as their bodies mature, so until then, parents and influences have to keep reminding them of their limits. Its natural, but you just have to make sure that there is a good mentor that wont push anything too big on the kid, and will teach them how to take care of their body.

Under the right factors, they can start whenever they want really, but to be safe, and be able to walk pasy 25 years old, they really need to listen and learn about parkour. :)

Offline kaos

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 05:40:42 PM »
Kids start other things at a young age that affect their skeletal structure all the time...gymnastics, ballet, anything really.  If you do any one thing from a young age it will have those type of effects on your body. 

I don't think 13 and under is too young as long as they have good guidance.
Parkour creates communities, not rivalries. Keep competition out of parkour.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 05:53:15 PM »
I agree with what skipper said. My friend and I both started when we were 12, and before he really understood what parkour was, he enjoyed making large drops and doing crazy things in general. He also didnt know how to land properly, and if he hadnt started checkin himself and finding his limits he woulda hurt himself. We went to jams and went online and basically were taught by people that knew more than us. Its important for somebody to have somebody else who knows better to help them train, so that person can help them understand their limits and what they can and cannot do.
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 06:49:11 PM »
You can still be good while remaining safe. Johnny Boy is skilled at parkour and he was 12 when he started. (i know because i trained with him today at the DC jam). He knows his limits and doesn't take stupid/insane risks.
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 08:17:52 PM »
Really I think that the only real limiting factor for parkour should be (mental) maturity.  I know plenty of "youngins" that would be fine doing parkour, because they are mature enough to know what is stupid and practical.  Of course there are also a ton of "youngins" out there that haven't developed the maturity to know when to stop, those are the type of people that should be discouraged from doing pk until they are a bit older.  I would hate it if some little kid went out and started jumping around trying to imitate some of the videos online, and ended up getting himself severely hurt.  When you don't know your bodies limits you pose an extreme danger to yourself, no matter what age you are.  For the most part young kids haven't developed the ability to safely figure out their limits, this come with mental maturity.  Now I know that there are exceptions out there, but it is usually fairly easy to determine how mature someone is by what they say and how they say it.  So if any of us here come across a new person that is obviously not at the maturity level to handle parkour I would recommend that we encourage them to simply not do it.  Now of course I know that it would be extremely difficult to "simply not do it", so maybe as a community we could come up with some way to effectively convince them not to do it for a few years.  I'm not really sure how this is possible, but thats why we have a whole community to come up with solutions ;).  Maybe this should be it own topic.
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 09:40:20 PM »
i reccomend reading the "beginning training" article on parkour.NET. here is a link:

http://parkour.net/modules/articles/item.php?itemid=17

most specifically, this section:

Firstly, age does have a bearing on your Parkour training. The body is still developing throughout most of your teenage years so it is a good idea to steer clear of the elements of Parkour that put your body under extreme stresses until the age of 15 or 16. Before this age, the best way to improve your Parkour ability and to prepare your body for Parkour later in life is to concentrate on your fitness, general agility and control of movements.
For these things, activities like climbing, the less aggressive martial arts and sports in general are all good, the first two for agility and control, the latter for fitness in general. Gymnastics is also useful, although competitive gymnastics risks exposing younger participants to damaging stresses.
You can also work on the technique aspects of Parkour before this age, just be careful to keep heavy landings to a minimum.

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 09:53:02 PM »
There is another reason for discouraging young people from doing parkour just yet.  The question I have though is how will we go about doing this in a constructive and helpful way?
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Age topic on .net, Too young to start?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 03:49:48 PM »
how will how will you go about doing what?
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 04:32:13 PM »
Ummmm........what?  If you mean how will I go about doing this, I don't know.  Thats why I am asking the whole community, someone here has got to have some good ideas about this ;)

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 06:23:22 PM »
What ??? cheetah, you are very confusing sometimes. jmanndriver was talking about this post:

There is another reason for discouraging young people from doing parkour just yet.  The question I have though is how will we go about doing this in a constructive and helpful way?

how will you go about doing what?

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 06:39:55 PM »
I think he means "how will we go about discouraging people who obviously do not have the physical and mental maturity to do parkour in a constructive and helpful way?"
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 07:46:59 PM »
Oh, lol, ya I'm just confusing my self all over the place.  Sorry about that :P

Quote from: Johnny Boy
I think he means "how will we go about discouraging people who obviously do not have the physical and mental maturity to do parkour in a constructive and helpful way?"

Spot on, we need to come up with a way to discourage people who are not physically or mentally mature enough to do parkour yet.  The challenge in this is to discourage them in a positive, encouraging way, constructive way. ;)  (I can't believe I didn't say that in my post, I must have been pretty tired ;))