Author Topic: How to use the word Parkour  (Read 48221 times)

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
Re: How to use the word Parkour
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 04:42:38 PM »
so dont know if this makes sense to anyone eles but if someone who practices parkour is a traceur then would not some one who doing parkour be tracing. you guys say this is wrong but why do you say this is wrong is it because it does not have the word parkour in it if so that is retarded. the only way to get a verb for parkour is to make one and until it happens no one has the right to say your wrong be cause it dose not exist yet.

Why does Parkour need a verb?
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline TrojanPKR1

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 11:52:35 AM »
Without verbs I do believe we'd be rather sedentary. :-Sarcasm

But in all seriousness, it makes conversation awkward to not have a verb. If it's an action oriented thing you should be able to do it, not just beat around the bush and say you practice doing it.

Offline Cory Mason

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »
tracing is not the term to use and it is wrong,    its lets go do parkour, or hey let's go for a run, or parkour run,  never ever ever trace.  its bad and wrong,  much love though and welcome to the community   :)  ask around and explore have fun and enjoy the forums   :)

Just out of curiosity, how is it "bad and wrong"? I haven't read every last word of parkour information on the internet but, if it does exist, could you direct me to the page that explains why "trace" is wrong? Because if there's not a legitimate reason for it to be wrong, such as Muse's explanation on the grammatical use of parkour(bravo to Muse, by the way), then it's just an opinion and an opinion can't really be rationally argued. I do admit that I'm no authority on the subject however and I apologize if I missed something obvious that would prove all this wrong. Also, if I came off as a jerk or condescending in any way I apologize for that as well, I just enjoy a good debate. :)

And I also have something to say about this post:

Why does Parkour need a verb?

This I know for sure is an opinion and a bit of a weak argument, no offense. I know I'm mostly just reiterating Trojan's post but it really does complicate speech to not have a verb for something, they are kind of essential in grammar.

I'm sure everyone's tired of hearing this semi-noob drone on by now but as my last comment, I would like to say that pretty much anything that's been discussed on this thread so far regarding the use of a word hasn't been sufficiently verified as correct or incorrect, aside from the original subject(the use of parkour as a verb)of course, so for now those arguments could go on indefinitely because they're just opinions.

Again, I just like a good debate and again sorry for my snobbish writing style.  :)
"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." --Albert Einstein

Offline Joseph Landholt

• Guenons
  • Name changed to my real surname.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2010, 12:18:49 PM »
I also want to know about "Tracing", since Traceur translates into "tracer", which simply means "someone who traces", just like Builder means "someone who builds", and what does a builder do? They build, just like I'd think a Traceur/Tracer traces.
Parkour + Free Running = Free Parking :D

Offline Ryan Coker

• Mangabey
  • No items, Fox only, Final Destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »
It's not really a big deal. Call it whatever you want. not everyone is going to agree.

Offline Joseph Landholt

• Guenons
  • Name changed to my real surname.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2010, 12:15:49 PM »
Right, and I do (I pronounce Parkour "Parker", for increased ease)
Parkour + Free Running = Free Parking :D

fmj96

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »
(I pronounce Parkour "Parker", for increased ease)

Pardon my rudeness, but that's just lazy.

Offline righthandbrutality

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »
also---- after having someone on this forum open my eyes (I forget the exact post) I will not be saying "i'm practicing parkour" anymore. I will SPECIFICALLY, from now on, say that i am practicing FOR parkour. It's just more accurate.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2010, 08:37:32 PM »
also---- after having someone on this forum open my eyes (I forget the exact post) I will not be saying "i'm practicing parkour" anymore. I will SPECIFICALLY, from now on, say that i am practicing FOR parkour. It's just more accurate.

Then what is the "parkour" that you're practicing for? Just curious.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline righthandbrutality

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »
Well if I'm doing a turn vault, drop down, and run right back up to the place I dropped from to do it again, I'm not really doing parkour. I'm practicing techniques to be used in parkour.

When I mean, "in parkour" I mean when I decide to take off from where i am and fly to where I want to be.

If somebody sees me drilling a technique and asks me what I'm doing... replying "oh just parkour" isn't true at all. What I'm doing is practicing a movement (USED in parkour yes, but not parkour) so I become able to do it without much thought, without much time to prepare. So I can use it in a situation that requires parkour. (created by me, or created by real conflict) I've began looking at parkour as a whole, and the whole is only as strong as the parts that make it up. Drilling cat to cats is not parkour. That is drilling cats to cats.

or do I have it wrong?

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2010, 09:52:08 PM »
Well if I'm doing a turn vault, drop down, and run right back up to the place I dropped from to do it again, I'm not really doing parkour. I'm practicing techniques to be used in parkour.

When I mean, "in parkour" I mean when I decide to take off from where i am and fly to where I want to be.

If somebody sees me drilling a technique and asks me what I'm doing... replying "oh just parkour" isn't true at all. What I'm doing is practicing a movement (USED in parkour yes, but not parkour) so I become able to do it without much thought, without much time to prepare. So I can use it in a situation that requires parkour. (created by me, or created by real conflict) I've began looking at parkour as a whole, and the whole is only as strong as the parts that make it up. Drilling cat to cats is not parkour. That is drilling cats to cats.

or do I have it wrong?

According to a lot, yeah, you do have it differently. Years ago, the general consensus that I observed was that people defined parkour using all the common phrases - Point A to point B; moving efficiently; only the human body; escape/reach; emergency; the "flight" portion or fight-or-flight; etc. - but more recently, people have come to the understanding that parkour is a training method, a discipline, used to improve ourselves in many ways, primarily movement. Check out APK's article, What is Parkour? for more on that.

The idea of parkour being more of a broad term [though still remaining specific enough to not be ambiguous ;) ] has really simplified communication and understanding. For a lot of us [including me] we don't just train parkour so that we can "escape" or "reach" or "move efficiently." We train because we enjoy it. We enjoy exercising, we enjoy the community, we enjoy improving ourselves. Parkour has become more than simply moving as quickly as possible.

Thoughts?
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2010, 10:00:19 PM »
Well said, Andy. I agree with this, I feel like the idea and definition (for lack of a better word) of parkour is constantly changing, as is the art itself. At the same time, however, I feel like to a certain point, people can make use of it how they see fit. If rightandbrutality sees these exercises and drills as something other than parkour itself, then it is by all means acceptable for him to say that he is practicing movement. The important thing is to realize the connection that these movements are still a part of parkour and without the discipline, the movements mean a significant amount less.

There are several pieces to the equation, each of which is just as important as the others.

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2010, 05:49:25 AM »
Because if there's not a legitimate reason for it to be wrong, such as Muse's explanation on the grammatical use of parkour(bravo to Muse, by the way), then it's just an opinion and an opinion can't really be rationally argued.

Your statement is flawed in the sense that all arguments are opinions.  When a person makes an argument, they are stating their opinion on a particular subject in the form of a "truth" statement.  You're doing the same thing here. 

As an attorney, I argue opinions all day long.  Furthermore, when Appellate Courts and the Supreme Court of the United States issues a ruling on a particular case, they're called--guess what?  OPINIONS.  These "opinions" are also rationally based in case law, logic, and public policy reasoning.   

Furthermore, your own logic defeats itself when you make the following statement:

This I know for sure is an opinion and a bit of a weak argument, no offense. I know I'm mostly just reiterating Trojan's post but it really does complicate speech to not have a verb for something, they are kind of essential in grammar.

You first state that an opinion is something that cannot rationally be argued, then you assert an opinion as a truth statement.  This is called "suicidal" or "self-defeating" logic.  Beyond that, you make no attempts to back your argument with logical evidence to support your "opinion."  By side-stepping Jeremy's question you create what is called a "straw-man argument"--namely an argument that has nothing to do with the subject of the issue in question. 

Speaking of "evidence..." you make one good point that I would like to address:

as my last comment, I would like to say that pretty much anything that's been discussed on this thread so far regarding the use of a word hasn't been sufficiently verified as correct or incorrect, aside from the original subject(the use of parkour as a verb)

Welcome to the world of Parkour.  Part of the problem with this discipline as a whole is that it's very much in its nascent stages, which means that a lot of the information you're talking about will be problematic to verify since we're ALL new at this (compared to martial arts that have a documented lineage).  Beyond that, it's something that a very select few people--people who don't really spend much time on internet forums because they're out training--have intimate knowledge of, and they don't readily share the information on linguistics because a lot of practitioners don't see the debate over terminology as important. 

What matters is the actual work that is done by the practitioner and the progressions that they make in the art.

But what do I know?  According to your own opinion, all I have done is assert opinions, and therefore nothing I've said is rationally arguable. 

And if I read as a touch annoyed in this post, I am.  Without any foundation or basis, you've insulted a critical part of how I make my living. 

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline Cory Mason

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »
Hm. Those are all very good points, Chris. I'll admit I'm no attorney but I'm surprised and upset with myself for making so many mistakes. I appreciate the critiques and chastisement and I apologize for any insult, I meant no offense. No hard feelings, I hope.

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »
Hm. Those are all very good points, Chris. I'll admit I'm no attorney but I'm surprised and upset with myself for making so many mistakes. I appreciate the critiques and chastisement and I apologize for any insult, I meant no offense. No hard feelings, I hope.

Don't take it personally,  it's all good.  I certainly don't--I just go make it a point to train. 

Anyway, part of what I like to do is help people see the weak points in their arguments.  So we all did good here.

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline Cory Mason

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2010, 11:07:21 PM »
Of course. Like I said I enjoy discussions so any information that can improve my ability to discuss things is helpful and appreciated. Heh, maybe I should write any posts I make as if an attorney will be critiquing it, eh? Oh well, lesson learned.

Anyway, now that I've pretty much completely redirected the subject of this thread, I think I'll step out and let everyone get back to the original topic.

Offline Keifer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »
Muse, loved your post. It was my exact thoughts put into words. Even though you are a nerd (It is okay, I am too. Video games are my life, next to parkour and blood donation. lol) you better feel pretty cool right now. Otherwise, go run up a wall on top of a building then tell me how you feel.

Now I just have one question, though it may sound dumb, I feel it is necessary. Whenever I want to tell somebody I'm a traceur, I never do because I don't know how to pronounce the word. Since UrbanDictionary didn't give me an idea of pronunciation, I came to you guys.

Is "traceur" pronounced like "tra-sure," "tracer," or is there like a silent "t" or invisible "x" I don't have a clue about?
Have fun and screw gravity. ;D