Author Topic: Any workouts I can do to keep my heel and Ankle ready for a good shock?  (Read 5348 times)

Offline Kyubimark

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/zerowill86
I suck at rolling. For me its impossible. So im just gonna take the pain. Any workout to get me ready for the shock to come?

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
If it hurts then you're doing it wrong. Go back and look at some of the tutorials. Never work through pain. It doesn't make you tough.

Offline Kyubimark

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
ive been working at it for like 2 months now everyday until yesterday when i messed up my heel really badly 

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Right, I understand that. But a roll is not a technique that hurts, unless you started out on concrete which has it's own detriments. If this is the case then you shouldn't be practicing on concrete until your rolls are fluid to the point where you may only feel very minimal pains. Those pains are what helps you make very small changes to your technique and with a little practice the roll will be fluid and natural and no sharp pain "should" be felt.

There are a lot of great tutorials out there.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Sorry, but you NEED to learn how to roll.

Also, you can drill landings from level ground vertical leaps and then try to land as quietly as possible. This is also important, but if you want to be doing this when you are older you NEED to learn how to roll. No way around it.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Kyubimark

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
I want to but I mean I'm the only one that freeruns in my area so I'm alone.  I have watched clips and read different things and practiced for a really long time.  I dont know what else it will take.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Two months is hardly a long time. Do you have any Aikido/Tae Kwon Do places nearby or know anyone personally involved in martial arts? Most martial artists will know how to roll and can teach you.

Offline Kyubimark

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
I live in Clinton.  If you knew the place you wouldnt have asked.  The only things around here are lazy people, drug dealers, and fast food resterants.  Its a mess.

Offline Jordan "Sirlig" Nelson

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Oklahoma Parkour
Well, sorry to be blunt, but you're simply not going to "take the pain."  You'll either learn to roll, or you'll quit parkour.

I'm not saying that as in I'm going to track you down and make you learn, but it's a simple fact that if you're actually taking parkour seriously you will eventually practice the roll to where you have learned it, or you'll simply quit parkour.  Honestly, it really IS that essential, and every true traceur will and has learned the roll.  It's not really an optional part of parkour, to be truly honest.
"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness.  Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."  --Bruce Lee

www.freewebs.com/oklahomaparkour

Offline Kyubimark

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
I can do it from time to time but theres always sometime where i freakout in midair and just come down on my heels

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Any workouts I can do to keep my heel and Ankle ready for a good shock?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 05:44:27 AM »
Ground level. Work your way up. Else injuries happen. Plain and simple. Good day.

Offline Kyubimark

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 11:37:15 AM »
Well that sucks. I cant get my hands to connect into my roll.

Offline Jordan "Sirlig" Nelson

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Oklahoma Parkour
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 01:37:49 PM »
I can do it from time to time but theres always sometime where i freakout in midair and just come down on my heels

That's why you don't practice the roll by jumping off of things.  You start out standing on the ground (or even kneeling) and practice the movement on soft grass or mulch or a mat or something.  Watch the tutorials and really analyze what they're doing.  Try to imitate exactly how they do it.

After every single roll you do, analyze what you did, how it felt, and what adjustments you could possibly do to fix any problems.  And do it again....again....again...again...again.

Repetition is the key.  You will literally do the roll hundreds of times before you actually get it down.  Practice practice practice...that's the ONLY way.  If you're inclined against repetition, well, then....you read my first post.
"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness.  Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."  --Bruce Lee

www.freewebs.com/oklahomaparkour

Offline Kyubimark

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 02:03:58 PM »
Im not Parkour is something I never want to quit I wouldnt be able to live with myself and i have patience with it but ive never ran into something that looked so easy but yet is so hard.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 02:07:30 PM »
Im not Parkour is something I never want to quit I wouldnt be able to live with myself and i have patience with it but ive never ran into something that looked so easy but yet is so hard.

If this is truly how you feel then you will heed our advice and not go near heights until your body is ready. If you want this statement to be true...you will sit out there and roll on the grass thousands upon thousands of times until one day it might just hit you smack upside the face and you realize how to roll.

Offline dsingle

• Patas
  • any obstacle conqured
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 10:08:48 AM »
though you do need to roll (its a core essential to parkour) you also need to learn how to land
which is not landing on your heel
landing should be done with the ball of the foot then to the heel also you slap the ground

the way to work on making your landings less painful is to make your shins stronger  do toe raises (tons) your calves help on takeoff and your shins help on landing
toe raises will help on building your shins and reduce injury
AMARILLO PARKOUR {(AMAPK)}

Offline weeman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
all im doing at the moment (ive only just started ;D) is learning to do rolls
by practicing alot, climbing 6 ft walls :-[ and working on strengthning
my joints and muscles  :P ............ ive whacted about 20 rolling tutorials
and i thnk im getting the hang of it (soon ill pratice on grass not carpet  :))
hope i help  ;)

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
This is what I do to strengthen my ankles, But like people previously sad; WORK ON YOUR ROLLS!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1XvEbJUKE
"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Tyler Morita

• Patas
    • View Profile
That vid was awesome!  Exactly what I needed....and to avoid having to watch it over again, I took notes!

-LAND ON THE BALLS OF YOUR FEET!!
-don't work hard if your tired or sore...
-shin raises (on your heels, pull toes up) 3sets
  -quick pulse variation
  -lateral raise variation (inside/outisde)
  -one foot (progress)
-with foot in the air
  -pull toes hard to knees
  -forceful inner/outer rotations
-isometric raises (push down with one heel, pull up with other toes)
-lateral isometrices (use heel as a pivot, push against a wall/other foot)

-rule of thumb: do 2 sets of each exercise + 3 sets of morning and night shin raises.
-use a "good burn" as your rep marker.
-go trail running!
-walk on your toes...really high on your toes, 10mins
-STRETCH!
  -shin
  -upper calf
  -lower calf (bent knee)
  -rolls

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
Well conditioning your ankles is important, but not exactly a good substitute for not being able to roll. I have been training for more than a year and a half and just recently have I been able to roll correctly on concrete. And that's practicing them everyday for at least 20 minutes a day. So stop bein' a baby and just keep trying :P
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)