Author Topic: Hummus  (Read 4853 times)

Offline Joe Kelly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Hummus
« on: March 12, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »
I'm absolutely hooked on this stuff. Generally when I feel like snacking between meals I'll just spread some hummus on pita bread, maybe add a few veggies, and munch away.

Exactly how beneficial/detrimental is it for my normal diet? I know that since it's made from chickpeas, it does contain a fair amount of protein per serving size. But beyond that I really don't know it's nutritional value.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Re: Hummus
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:10:46 PM »
It depends on a lot: are you eating home-made or store-bought? And are you using dried chickpeas or canned in your homemade? Are you "flavoring" your hummus with other ingredients (olives, sea salt, etc.)? If you're eating store-bought, the nutritional value can vary from brand to brand.

That said, there are worse things to snack on than hummus. There's very little about hummus that's bad for you. If you're following the Zone diet I'm sure hummus is on the list somewhere; my guess would be that it would be a combo protein/carb block but I'm not sure. Might be worth looking up.

Alternatively, this might be a good site to start with: http://humus101.com/EN/

Hope that helps.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:30:25 PM »
If you're following the Zone diet I'm sure hummus is on the list somewhere; my guess would be that it would be a combo protein/carb block but I'm not sure. Might be worth looking up.

FYI, the zone diet does not have combination blocks -- either its fat, carb or protein.  In the case of hummus, hummus is usually considered a carb block -- unless its got an unusual amount of oil (some hummus from the store can be over 80% fat) then it is considered a fat block....

In general nutrition though, aside from the zone diet, hummus is mostly carb and the protein that it DOES contain is not absorbed very well by the body when compared to protein sources like milk, meat and eggs.  This is similar to how people think that peanuts are a good source of protein but the amount of protein is minimal, especially when you consider its rate of absorption..

When you add pita bread into the mix, you are eating a snack that is mostly carbohydrates.  The carbs from hummus are low glycemic.  The carbs from the bread are very high glycemic.  When you put that together, you have a very carby meal that will shoot up your blood insulin levels and create a hormonal fat building environment within your body.

If you enjoy this snack very much, I would recommend eating a hard boiled egg or two to counterbalance the amount of carbs you are ingesting.  Also, to buffer the carbs from your blood stream, try eating a few olives to add fat into the mix...fat has little to no effect on insulin or glucagon release and is a good way to up your calories and buffer out the carbohydrates.

Just look for a quick easy protein source, like egg whites or a soy drink, to compliment your hummus addiction and you will be fine.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Huh. I didn't realize that about the Zone. I have only followed the "Zone for Crossfit" that was cross-posted here from a CF journal a while back (I think I have the link somewhere), and I could have sworn that on there things like yogurt count as both a carb and a protein. Hm... I should go double-check. Thanks for the info, phreak. :)

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 07:53:59 PM »
I'm not sure I have ever seen that muse...have a link?

I have read the books by Barry Sears, the creator of the Zone Diet, and he makes it pretty clear that the block system is made for simplicity; to allow those who don't know much about nutrition to easily jump on the zone bandwagon to "super health", as he calls it.

Maybe this changed over the years -- or people on the internet have morphed it.

The concept of "combo blocks" would kind of kill the ideology of simplicity in nutrition that Dr. Sears was working towards.  I can understand why one would say that as some Yogurt (Dannon's Light-n-Fit comes to mind) that has relatively close amounts of carbs and protein with a very high protein absorption rate.  A Light-n-Fit yogurt, by itself, can actually be considered a 1 block meal/snakc if you are on a low fat zone scheme.  By the same token, most yogurts have 2-3x as many carbs as protein...and those that are not low fat can have 2x as much fat as protein, depending on the brand and processing techniques.

As you can see, when you start to consider all of the elements of nutrition and fit it into a combination block system, it gets quite complex -- which is why Dr. Sears has opted to just make each food a source of one macronutrient.

In short, if you are following the zone, i have 0 doubt that it is considered a carbohydrate block similar to that of chickpeas themselves (unless its like some Hummus brands I see that are 80 calories a serving, 70 from fat..)

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:29:20 PM »
Here is the link, thanks to Laurie. I never was able to find it; she finally dug it up for me a while back and PM'ed it to me so now it's always in my inbox. :)

http://frontrangecrossfit.typepad.com/nutrition/files/the_zone_diet_for_crossfit.pdf

It lists a few "combo" items that count equally as 1 block protein and 1 block carb. Most are lowfat dairy products, and there are only a handful of them.

This is a version of the Zone that has been presented specifically for CFers, it looks like. Not sure how much it varies from the "offical" Sears diet.

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Denica116

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 06:34:59 PM »
Losing weight is hard to do if we're stressed. I've been binge eating and tried so many diets and exercises, but all of them are not effective to lose some pounds.You can minimize your body's production of cortisol by simply by learning to relax. And if you need a little help doing this, medical marijuana could become your new best friend. Especially if it can shrink your waistline in the process. Nowadays, there are several products of cannabis created, not only for smoking. Like this one blimburnseeds.com/news/weed-wallpaper-2880x1620/. So far, it really helps me to relax and I can see that there's a changes in my weight. If you have any questions or opinions please let me know. Thanks!