Author Topic: The standard Roll  (Read 888 times)

Offline Gutout

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
The standard Roll
« on: March 12, 2008, 08:27:58 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm learning the basic roll first and foremost before i even try to advance to any other Pk move or trick.

I have some friends of mine that are 1st degree black-belts and I was talking to them about the roll.
Their tactic to doing the "ninja roll" is to use your right fore-arm to aid your roll if you are right handed and vise versa if left handed.

Question:
Is using the fore-arm the correct or incorrect technique for the standard roll. 

Sidenote:
In the tutorial on the Roll here I wasn't able to tell if he used his fore-arm or not.

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
Re: The standard Roll
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:10:57 AM »
Welcome!

First off, you should train rolls both left and right.
As far as the forearm is concerned, I would say it varies from person to person. It is not inherently "incorrect" to use your forearm in the roll, I do personally. Rolls kind of need to be experimented with in order to find what technique works for the individual. I tell people to train rolls for a bit on grass or soft surfaces and then try one on concrete in order to determine what you need to work on and then return to the grass, this way you don't teach yourself a bad habit that you will just have to break later. Good luck!
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Gutout

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 12:54:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice man, i'll apply it.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 01:02:22 PM »
It should be used...but only in a certain way because if you collapse your arm and put your forearm on the ground parallel with your shoulders then its not correct technique. You can hit your shoulder or face/head if you do that. Instead use your hand as a guide and roll...your forearm will touch but it shouldn't touch for very long because you are rolling. If you do leave it there then you slow your roll down and that can also cause a bad roll because you might just hit your lower back on the ground instead of rolling.

I hope that helped...if you have anymore questions just reply or message me : ]]
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline fr33runner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 01:08:39 PM »
Actually, I would not practice both left and right yet until you have the basic fundamentals down on the roll technique itself. I started using my dominant side first and then I slowly progressed to my left as well  but trying to train both simutaneously would have been a bit difficult. Then again, it is mostly the preference of the traceur, Im just telling you what worked out for me. Good luck on your training!
-Fr33Runner