Author Topic: Basic Landing Question  (Read 1021 times)

Offline NeoM4A1

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Basic Landing Question
« on: March 11, 2008, 03:37:22 PM »
I've been practicing the basic landing for about a week now (although I stubbed my toe just walking around my house and was out for a few days), and for some reason when I land I get a little pain in my lower back. I'm not jumping off anything, just from a standing position and landing on the floor, so it's got me worried. Will this go away with practice or does my technique need touching up?

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Landing Question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:23:23 AM »
Neo,

What kind of pain is it? Is it a muscle pain or a bone pain?

What kind of landings are you doing? Are you doing a roll, or just landing on all fours?

Also, how old are you and in what physical condition? Are you in good shape?

I had some muscle pain in my back at the beginning too. It wasn't so much as pain, but more like I was aware something was going on when I did certain movements involving my waist. I resolved this by stretching my back. The stretch that I found worked this well was this:

Sit on the floor with both legs together and straight out. Try to touch your toes. Keep trying for about 2 minutes.

I do this every day when I get up in the morning, together with other stretching movements, as I am sipping on my coffee. Sometimes, when I have time, I do this at night too.

This will not only stretch your hamstrings, but will stretch your glutes and lower back as well.

After a while, maybe a week or two, I had no more lower back issues.

If this isn't what's happening with you, answer the questions above, maybe I can help out.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 07:26:02 AM by CptBongue »
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline NeoM4A1

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 04:42:32 PM »
It's muscle pain.

Just simple all-fours landings.

I'm 15, and in so-so shape. I'm not overweight or anything, and I can do 2-3 pullups, 30 situps, etc. About that fitness range, although I'm steadily improving.

I just realized that it may have had something to do with hitting my back in the same spot the day before, but I still want to play it safe.

Offline fr33runner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 01:05:39 PM »
I have this problem because I have flat feet, and the best way to improve it is to make sure you have good shoes. Not $30 ;D But you know what I mean, And if that is not the problem I would try to absorb less force upon landing as absorbing it while you go into the landing. Kind of confusing there...But I hope you get my meaning :P
-Fr33Runner

Offline JasonMurak

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 04:51:32 PM »
It could be a lower back problem like i used to have. A chiropractor could fix it up, but if its muscle then its probably just what you hit it on or whatever.maybe a bruise. nothing bad