Author Topic: Parkour is not a Verb  (Read 8403 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: Parkour is not a Verb
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2008, 01:45:01 PM »
There seems to be an issue here with "How do you then use it as a verb" The simple answer is "You don't".

I am going parkouring >> I am going to do Parkour. I am going to practice parkour. I am going for a Parkour Run.

I am a parkourer >> I am a Traceur. I do Parkour. I practice Parkour.

I parkoured over a fence >> I shot you in the head. - No really, I used parkour to get over a fence is probably close to correct, but really you'd just say "I vaulted / hopped / popped over a fence". Saying that you "parkoured it" would be kind of like saying "I used the intellectual and cognative learning skills that I learned in third grade to decipher this sentence" -- instead of "I read and undertsood this sentence". practicing Parkour makes you better at passing obstacles, it doesn't make you better at Parkouring.

I parkoured at my school today >> I trained at my school today, or I practiced parkour at my school today, or I did Parkour at my school today. Possibly even "I learned some Parkour at my school today".

As for the argument that if enough people use a word it becomes it, that is certainly true in some cases, but not all. Golfing is not a technically correct term, it should be "I played (the game of) golf". This one has certainly taken hold, however you do'nt hear people say "we are chessing" - instead they say we are playing Chess. Same for someone playing tennis, they are not a "tenniser", they are a "tennis player".

Personally I'd prefer if Parkour doesn't become a verb.

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline formula freerun ace

• Patas
  • palmspin at the court house
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2008, 02:03:02 PM »
thank god somone understands that just because a percentage of the population decides to be either ignorant of the english language/totally inept in grammer and it uses does not mean it is okay to change the rules to accomidate those who do not wish to put forth the efffort to learn the basics of thier own native language

todays incompetence should not become tomorows norm

the lower the bar goes the more we begin to hunch over....and s the cycle reverses....lol ::)
strength lives in the body -but i am not the body
spirit lives in the mind-but i am not the mind
i am the movement-i am free

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2008, 05:01:56 PM »
Languages grow and change over time. Today we consider double negatives to be incorrect English, but in Shakespeare's time, they were the standard, correct way of speaking. This is the difference between prescriptive grammar (what you learned in school, in order to come across as an educated person) and descriptive grammar (the way people actually talk).

Very few people actually speak with 100% correct (prescriptive) grammar. As a teacher, I fully agree with you that we should hold people accountable for following the prescriptive norm, especially in situations like job interviews and the like, where one wishes to come across as competent and educated. However as a linguist, I acknowledge that languages are living organisms that change and adapt with their environments, and that ultimately the way people actually do speak ends up being the "proper" form over time (see above re: double-negatives and Elizabethan English).

Not to nitpick, but if you're going to vehemently defend prescriptive grammar, I would advise you to familiarize yourself with prescriptively correct English capitalization, spelling, and punctuation conventions.

;)

Back on topic: I would also prefer to see parkour not become a verb in English, and I maintain that it won't. However there is a possibility that it might, given how our language operates. We will probably know for sure in 10 years or so. That's my prediction.

I suggest we start a betting pool. Anyone geeky enough to join in? ;)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Pendengra1

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • chupathingy, i like it. it's got a ring to it
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »
does anybody remember those commercials to go out and do something?  "Verb: It's What You Do."  going by this definition, parkour could be a verb.  ;D haha, just kidding.
aim for the stars so even if you miss you can still land on your face

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2008, 05:33:16 PM »
I got $5 that says that Parkour people defend old definitions staunchly enough that the word dies out, freerunning, which is a verb, prevails and parkour becomes a niche that people think branched off from freerunning at some point :P
Be Useful.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »
LOL

Offline Kevin Davies

• hacker supreme
  • Patas
  • Tacoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2008, 09:10:13 PM »
thank god somone understands that just because a percentage of the population decides to be either ignorant of the english language/totally inept in grammer and it uses does not mean it is okay to change the rules to accomidate those who do not wish to put forth the efffort to learn the basics of thier own native language

todays incompetence should not become tomorows norm

the lower the bar goes the more we begin to hunch over....and s the cycle reverses....lol ::)

You should study the history of your own or any other language before you make judgments about other people's incompetence.  You probably should take more care to use correct grammar and spelling too if you are going to condemn other people for ignorance and ineptitude.  Have fun doing parkour and don't worry about whether parkour is a verb or noun.  How you treat and judge other people will do far more to preserve the spirit of parkour than its use as a verb or a noun.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:12:34 PM by tacoman »

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2008, 10:37:09 PM »
come on you guys. if i have to lock this topic to stop you all from hurling insults at one another, well, that would be ridiculous!

Offline formula freerun ace

• Patas
  • palmspin at the court house
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2008, 11:27:58 AM »
im sorry for what i said about othor people i was just in a bad mood i guess and it just seems that everywhere i go in my school i am surrounded by stupid people who say and do stupid things....and its starting to get on my nerves a little, especially because i just had this convorsation with some rather rude and ignorant people at my cullinary school who seem to enjoy mocking me and parkour, alot!! guess this just restarted the anger allredy residing in my head and i vented to the wrong people and in the wrong way

apologies to all whom i may have offended
strength lives in the body -but i am not the body
spirit lives in the mind-but i am not the mind
i am the movement-i am free

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2008, 11:39:54 AM »
Muhamad what have you created my man?

This toppic reminds me of the PK vs FR topic, it is just going no where, and it really doestn change anything if it gets somewhere.

So I'll leave you guys fighting over non sense stuff. I am gonna go PRACTICE while you all argue.  ;D
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2008, 11:46:04 AM »
So I'll leave you guys fighting over non sense stuff. I am gonna go PRACTICE while you all argue.  ;D
Amen to that...
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »
LOL!

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2008, 06:35:33 PM »
haha i hate it when people do that
Co-Founder

Offline Casey Kandel

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • PlainBlackHoodie
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »
SOOOO.... Is parkour a verb yet? :-Sarcasm
The World. My Playground. 
The Streets. My Home. 
The Architecture. My Inspiration. 
The Fear. My Motivation. 
The Sweat, the Scars, the Pain. My Proof.
My Name. Traceur.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2008, 11:30:20 PM »
No.
Be Useful.