Author Topic: Other resources  (Read 2812 times)

Offline dash

• Patas
    • View Profile
Other resources
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:00:31 PM »
Kind of beating a dead horse here, but anybody have any suggestions for finding more local people who do Parkour ?  I'd like to learn it, but I don't trust myself enough to go out and just start by myself, and I'd really rather do it with other people anyways.  I live in Kansas, and the Kansas board is rather dead.  I haven't had any luck finding any local people through other means, either.  Any suggestions for finding more ?
You have one chance to value your life.  Take it.
~ Alex Corvis

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: Other resources
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:34:11 PM »
hitting up national jams or getting friends and or people into it
"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:16:57 AM »
All I can say to that is, "If you build it, they will come."

:)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline dash

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 09:37:06 PM »
That's my trouble, I don't know parkour myself.  I want to learn, but there doesn't seem to be much of anybody around here who practises it.  I'm all for helping to expand it, but I need to learn it first, and that is the trouble I'm having.  I've found maybe a half dozen people in the KC area who either do already or want to start, but it seems the people who do it now haven't been doing it for long, and/or live a ways away.  I use a bike as my primary method of transportation, so really, biking 10-15 miles so that I can run around and jump off things [and then bike back] sounds a bit tough atm.
~ Alex Corvis

Offline Jordan "Sirlig" Nelson

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Oklahoma Parkour
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 10:53:05 PM »
I use a bike as my primary method of transportation, so really, biking 10-15 miles so that I can run around and jump off things [and then bike back] sounds a bit tough atm.

It's all about the conditioning man!  ;D :P

Half a dozen people sounds pretty good...but I think you can find more if you keep hanging around these boards, learning as much as you can on your own here and through legitimate tutorials, and conditioning.  As you get better, you'll find more people!

BTW most people find actual training much better on their own.  Jamming and having fun with others is cool, but getting real training done while there are lots of other people around to distract you and who are at other levels can be not-so-good for training.
"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness.  Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."  --Bruce Lee

www.freewebs.com/oklahomaparkour

Offline dash

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 06:20:43 AM »
I like to think I have a small handle on the conditioning aspect.  I keep myself in fairly good shape aerobically [though not as much strength-wise].  I bike to work most days, biking, running, and other sports when I get the chance.  My resting heart rate is about 50 bpm.  I just have a hard time getting into a habit of doing something.  If I can do it with people, I have a better chance of continuing to do it, that was the main reason why I want to do it with people.  Everything is more fun with a little social twist. :)
~ Alex Corvis

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 07:45:56 AM »
ouch im srry, Id get super board if i lived in kansas...I live in SD and there arent that manyplaces where i live too but i guess you just go to do wit wat you got
Co-Founder

Offline Crosion_5

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Ultimatetraceur.com
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 04:32:22 PM »
Well, for about the first two years of my parkour life, I did it virtually on my own.  I had no idea that there were forum pages or parkour communities, so I watched videos and looked up information on parkour.net and trained alone.  I tried getting a few of my friends in on it, but none of them ever really stuck with it but me.

It's just another obsticle.  Friends should never be a reason to do anything, especially parkour because it is about finding your own path.  Sure, friends make it easier and more enjoyable, but there is no point in pursuing anything unless it's close to your heart.

But don't worry!  You have APK to talk to!  We might not be able to train with you, depending on where you are, but everyone here will try and helkp you in any way we can.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 05:27:33 PM »
Training alone is great, but I hear you on the social thing. I am a highly social person and I had a hard time training alone when I first started. There were no groups here either, so I started one. I got a couple friends together and started an online forum using one of those free jobbies. I was a rank beginner, couldn't even run a mile or do ten pushups in a row, but I just started from where I was at. Eventually the two friends who started with me quit, about a month in, but by then a few more people had happened by the forum I started and started to come out to train with us. We were ALL beginners (and still are). With a couple of exceptions of people here and there who have been doing it alone for a year or two, the three of us in the core group have only been at it seriously since about June or July of 2007.

I was up-front with everyone who showed up to training, letting them know I was a rank beginner, but we all worked together to learn and spent a lot of time on APK and a lot of time in the summer just practicing.

Our group is still small but we are building it into something. Even though it's been one of the worst winters on record and we are under 7 feet of snow, we still get together once a week for indoor training followed by organizational planning meetings, trying to get the word out and plan for the Midwest jam and the like.

My point is, if there are no groups in your area, then start one. Don't let the fact that you're a beginner stop you. To be frank, I suck at parkour. I'm horrible. So bad, in fact, that I have invented a move called the "Scaredy Kong." ;) However I am a very good organizer and I like to tell myself that I have vision and leadership skills (maybe I'm delusional). :) So don't let the fact that you're a beginner stop you from creating a group if having a group is really that important to you. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. :)

Good luck.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Crosion_5

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Ultimatetraceur.com
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 07:02:50 PM »
+1 for that Muse.  It takes a lot of courage to say that you suck at something, lol!  But like you said, we all have to start somewhere.  Physical skills are not the only aspect of parkour.

Offline Nick Kelly

• Mangabey
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Horizons
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 07:47:24 PM »
Training alone is great, but I hear you on the social thing. I am a highly social person and I had a hard time training alone when I first started. There were no groups here either, so I started one. I got a couple friends together and started an online forum using one of those free jobbies. I was a rank beginner, couldn't even run a mile or do ten pushups in a row, but I just started from where I was at. Eventually the two friends who started with me quit, about a month in, but by then a few more people had happened by the forum I started and started to come out to train with us. We were ALL beginners (and still are). With a couple of exceptions of people here and there who have been doing it alone for a year or two, the three of us in the core group have only been at it seriously since about June or July of 2007.

I was up-front with everyone who showed up to training, letting them know I was a rank beginner, but we all worked together to learn and spent a lot of time on APK and a lot of time in the summer just practicing.

Our group is still small but we are building it into something. Even though it's been one of the worst winters on record and we are under 7 feet of snow, we still get together once a week for indoor training followed by organizational planning meetings, trying to get the word out and plan for the Midwest jam and the like.

My point is, if there are no groups in your area, then start one. Don't let the fact that you're a beginner stop you. To be frank, I suck at parkour. I'm horrible. So bad, in fact, that I have invented a move called the "Scaredy Kong." ;) However I am a very good organizer and I like to tell myself that I have vision and leadership skills (maybe I'm delusional). :) So don't let the fact that you're a beginner stop you from creating a group if having a group is really that important to you. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. :)

Good luck.

Great post Muse. Something people need to remember is that parkour is still very young and underdeveloped in the United States. This means a few things: 1. The parkour community is in need of leaders, 2. Because there is a need for leaders in the community out there, there is nothing from stopping you (talking about the general you here) from stepping up and making something happen.

shadow1234

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »
Good luck with finding people to train with. You could always try myspace groups or something. I got lucky and found a friend that was interested in training with me that stuck with it like I decided to. Even if you do find someone though, make sure to train on your own as well too. There is a lot to be said for the spiritual aspect of parkour that only comes when one is alone.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 03:00:22 PM »
I think one of the best experiences in Parkour that I had was getting the Hamilton, Ontario scene started.. No one really had much of an idea of what they were doing, and while I did get some training in with PKdanno and some of the Tribe during my earlier months, I wasn't much of an authority.. so we figured things out together.. began to explore our city.. figured out what was effective and what wasn't.. and maybe it slowed our progression down a lot compared to others, but it was one of the most rewarding things I can remember.  So I suggest finding others, getting out there, and playing around.. learn your body.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline dash

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 03:34:21 PM »
Yep, that was kind of the point of this thread, was how to find people.  None of my nearby friends really have the same athletic mindset that I do [frankly, most are computer nerds like me :)], so it's a bit tougher.  That's why I'm looking around.  Supposedly there are a few in town here, ~10 miles from where I live, so we'll see how that goes.
~ Alex Corvis

shadow1234

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 05:25:47 PM »
Yep, that was kind of the point of this thread, was how to find people.  None of my nearby friends really have the same athletic mindset that I do [frankly, most are computer nerds like me :)], so it's a bit tougher.  That's why I'm looking around.  Supposedly there are a few in town here, ~10 miles from where I live, so we'll see how that goes.

Good luck. If worse comes to worse you could be like happydud and just travel the country over the summer!  :D

Offline dash

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 05:52:09 PM »
Good luck. If worse comes to worse you could be like happydud and just travel the country over the summer!  :D

That requires a method of transportation other than my current: a bike.  Also, it requires money, which I don't really have, and other people seem to keep wanting me to give to them.  So I'm stuck here for a bit yet.
~ Alex Corvis

Offline Kevin Roysden

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 05:53:05 PM »
I started out on my own but after awhile I had some other friends who were just as inexperienced as me.  We all learned pretty much everything from watching videos.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 06:34:28 PM »
It was really hard for me to get into pk w/o my friend Chris whom I just found out likes it about 6 weeks ago. I wanna find more people in Oregon in the Portland, area though... :-\
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Lachance

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 04:06:26 PM »
I live in Southern Maine, in a small town. How do you think I feel? There aren't many places to do parkour, and even though me and my friends do it at our school, we keep thinking we are going to get in trouble, and sometimes we do! Janitors have no understanding... >:(
I'm a Mainah!