Author Topic: Spine? Important? Serious?  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Yoshinobu

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Spine? Important? Serious?
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »
I went and practiced with other people in my area for a while at a gym. no serious falls took place, lots of rug burns and such, all my falls we "elastic-esk" I just bounced back up, embarassment was my only bruise. the next day while at work my spine started to hurt, I did lift an unusually heavy pallet above my head. but it just has twinges and feels weak, like it needs to pop but I can't because it hurts too bad. I want someone to kick me hard in the back to pop it but I know that won't work. it's my lower back and I can't do anything with it since it's the parallel to my abs and it's used when doing anything.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
Re: Spine? Important? Serious?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:27:04 AM »
It could be a few things.

If you're not used to a lot of gymnasticsy stuff, strange parts of your body can be pretty sore. I saw a lot of this when I first started taking a group that had little experience to a gymnastics gym.

It also could have been that "heavy pallet." If you keep a good curve in your lower back (So your look like an integral symbol, as opposed to a right parenthesis).

When lifting heavy things, the spine was not designed to support all the weight if your back is arched like a cat. Research good deadlift technique to learn more, but here are some pictures:

Bad lifting form:

Good lifting form:

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 11:41:28 AM »
I'm pretty much confused by the whole paragraph. It leads me to believe that you are training recklessly and under wrong supervision. In any case, landings, even when practiced in a pseudo-controlled setting such as a gymnastics gym can still cause injury when performed incorrectly and when improperly conditioned.

The Lumbar Vertebrae and surrounding muscles maintain proper posture when performing almost all activities and so are highly prone to injuries.

Some things that need to be explained are the type of pain you are experiencing (acute or chronic) and the severity of it. There are literally dozens of things that can be described as lowerback pain which is why it is one of the top symptoms GP's are asked to treat.

Most likely you just have a strain or sprain which will clear up in a week or two. The muscles and ligaments in the spine have abundant blood supply sources so they heal relatively quickly but make sure to ice it (if this is the case) to decrease any inflammation you may have. Be careful to avoid muscle atrophy and try to give them some therapeutic movement possibly via routine stretching, otherwise problems will only get worse.

Best bet would be to see a GP and get a professional opinion. Just be sure to not allow them to simply give you some pain pills and dismiss your case. Pain pills will help nothing in these cases and ignoring pain may only make the symptoms worse.

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:05:51 PM »
that's why you go to a chiropractor first.  don't even bother seeing a GP in this situation.  They don't know anything about musculoskeletal complaints.
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline Tebbi

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:22:03 PM »
In my opinion, (i have spinal problems) the spine is the most fragile thing in my body for definite anyway, and in most others.

You really want it checked out, it is easily damaged.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 09:12:41 PM »
See a chiro like Cheetaur said! We can't really tell and you DO NOT want to mess around your spine much at all...

that's why you go to a chiropractor first.  don't even bother seeing a GP in this situation.  They don't know anything about musculoskeletal complaints.

If I apply to med school I'll keep that in mind just for you. ;)
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 08:04:17 AM »

I love how most GP's will say opposite. "NO! Come see me first those crazy bastads over there don't know what they be talking about!"

Love having you around Cheetaur!

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:45:31 AM »
haha.  Sorry guys, didn't mean it to sound like that.  You see a MD for MD complaints (failing organs, sickness, drug stuffetc etc), you see a chiro for chiro stuff (SPINE, musculoskeletal stuff, joint stuff).
See a PT for rehab (after seeing a chiro or MD).  and see a nutritionalist/naturopath for nutrition, diet, etc etc.

There is overlap, and they all know something from a different point of view, but i guess its just me, but it seems so obvious to see the person with the most/best education on the given topic.  In general, for PK stuff, its a physical cause (trauma), so, see someone who deals with that every day and almost exclusively... chiropractic :)

So... its not that i don't respect MDs, sorry if it sounded that way.  just see the guy who knows the most.  and honestly, MDs don't deal with musculoskeletal stuff enough, that they forget most tehir education, and really... they don't know any more than a educated lay person.
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »
We know what you're saying Cheetaur. It's like doctors giving out diet info when you should see a nutritionist about that. Yeah.

Just being a little hard on you. :p
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 06:09:51 PM »
Yeh Exactly like Cheetaur said see a chiropractor
Co-Founder