Author Topic: Another geezer jumping in  (Read 2707 times)

Offline jacktheblack

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Another geezer jumping in
« on: February 13, 2008, 07:15:23 PM »

Howdy everyone

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.  I am 40 (about to be 41) male in fairly good health.  I am an ex gym rat who now is trying to embrace the body weight only work out culture.  I teach rock wall climbing part time, and I am a full time history student.   I am also an active fencer in the SCA.  the little icon of me as a prisoner stems from last years Alcatraz swim that I completed sans wet suit (hard core and super cold, I don't suggest doing it the hard way).  I was for a very short time a pro wrestler on the indie circuit, and if you want to see how bad a man in spandex can look feel free to see my gallery.

I am very interested in doing some parkour in and around San Francisco.  I am in the middle of building up my running and stamina and my flexability and a million other little things I think I need before I jump all the way in.

I look forward to  lively discussions and the occasional stupid comment (this is still the internet after all).

Yours in service and your friend

Jack the Black

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: Another geezer jumping in
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:33:08 AM »
Hey, Jack...

Welcome to APK, especially to the Over 40 forum. You'll find plenty lively discussion and stupid comments. Not so much in this forum, which is pretty quiet.

You may want to also register at SFParkour.com link. Especially check out their SF Weekend Training for Beginners thread. There's also a big Oakland Museum of California event coming up Thursday March 13, from 7:30 to 10:30 pm. That's going to be aimed at college students, but may be a good chance for you to meet some of the local traceurs.

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:17:51 AM »
Hey, Jack

Seems like you're already in good physical condition. Age won't be a huge factor.

BTW, I'm 36, and just getting started too. I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area and currently scouting for places to start practicing.

I'm also entertaining the idea of building something in my back yard.
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline Jake Meyer

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 08:25:05 AM »
Ya, welcome!  It sounds like your upper body strength is good and building stamina running doesn't take too long.  Are rock climbers flexible, so they can reach whatever there is to grab and step on?  Sounds like you should be all set to get started soon.  Good luck and have fun!