Author Topic: Osgood-Schlatters Situation  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Yoshinobu

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Osgood-Schlatters Situation
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:43:41 AM »
I'm 18 and still have Osgood-Schlatters syndrome, I got it when I was about 14 or 15. It didn't get better or worse, I just can't get up from squatting when my butts too close too my heels (4-5 inches/less than 20degree angle). It hurts to get too close to 90degrees, I do it anyways hoping it will just stretch out and such like a sore muscle but, it never does. The growth plate in my knee is inflamed, but it always has been. I know it's Osgood-Schlatters, actually went to a doctor. Wondering if I need a Knee support or if there's another cheaper remedy to this complication of Parkour-esk activities.I have strong legs, I jump high, run fast, and am generally bouncy but I get stuck if my legs are placed to narrowly in a cat and can't push, it just hurts and doesn't do anything.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: Osgood-Schlatters Situation
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 05:44:57 PM »
Avoid activities like this until the pain subsides.  Avoid especially while you still have active and unfused growth plates.

Sorry man, thats my advice and im pretty sure a doctor would tell you the same thing.

I have osgood shlatters and I had to avoid most activities like this for about a year then the pain didnt exist anymore.  I still have the bumpy knees and if i get hit DIRECTLY on it it hurts like a bitch.  Other than that I'm OK.

All I can say is that it will be at a point where you can do whatever u want, just ill take time...

Isolate the moves that hurt and dont do them at all.  Don't push it because u dont wanna get screwed up.

You can still work on a ton of stuff like balance, QM, cat balance, pullups, muscle ups, dips, ring dips, etc.  Just avoid high impact to the legs/knee.

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:23:06 PM »
Hmm, usually the pain and stiffness from Osgood's has subsided by 18. I have it too and it no longer bothers me at all and hasn't since I was 17 or 18.
Some things that would help would be stretching (hamstrings and quadriceps especially, as well as calves and tib anterior), massage on and around the bump should also help alleviate the pain. I would recommend on top of that doing squats and pistols to right before the point of pain and then coming back up. Stay in control by moving though the lowering part of the movement slowly, then at the first sign of pain push back up slowly.
As far as parkour, don't do anything that hurts, but still practice. Running is high-impact but if you rest and heal right you can use that impact to strengthen the joint. Hope this helps. Peace
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »
A human male's skeletal structure is typically completed at age 25 (when the clavicles ultimately fuse to the sternum)......but the growth plates in the leg should be done by the time you are 18.  Thats good news...because if you are still growing, that will likely end soon.

How tall are you?  Were you a late bloomer?  When did your doctor tell you that you had inflamed growth plates?  Were you 15?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
It is possible for it to NEVER heal where you've pulled the tendon off of the tibial tuberosity. I am sincerely hoping this has not happened to me or that it has happened to you. The only option for this would be surgery or never being able to really run and jump again.

REST. Seriously. I don't know how else to tell you think. Massage the area... ice it after any exercise.

Start trying to do very light activity like walking, possibly walking up some stairs and walking lunges if it doesn't hurt. DO NOT PUSH THROUGH ANY PAIN. Hopefully it's not bad enough that you have to get surgery or anything and that it will heal on it's own with light work (and massage)... but here's to hoping for me and you.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:43:11 PM »
I had OS (the growth thing in the knee, right?) since I was 13. I'm 16.5 now and don't feel any knee pain since I started doing cross-country and long distance. So, since October.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift"
- The Prefontaine

Offline Yoshinobu

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 08:46:34 AM »
Thank you for your responces, I am still growing slightly not much, I grew alot when I was 12 and 15. I'm between 5'11" and 6'1" (I don't understand why I can get taller or shorter except by spinal compression  ???). Is there any way to get around not being able to bring my feet up for a kong or Monkey vault. I'm afraid to do kongs and I slide my feet on monkey vaults. I've been doing underbars, lazy, and such. I also have to work up my cardio, I don't know wether my parents smoking hurt me but I get extremely winded when doing sprints or sets of different acts in a row without rest(like Push-ups, then pullups, running and squats, I get winded) thank you though for the advice, it does help.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 07:33:05 PM »
Abs and hip flexors do most of the work in bringing the legs up. Don't go overboard but some good stuff are like V-ups hanging leg raises.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »
the os is self limiting, let it heal, take it easy, ice, etc, you'll be fine
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 05:22:38 PM »
Hey Yoshi,
I had Osgood Schlatters when i was 12-14 and Its byfar the most painful to do sports in. With Osgood theres not much you can do, it occurs when your body grows to fast. In my case i had it in the knees then in the heels so it was kinda of impossible to do much. Since i play competitive soccer i had to still play so what i used some knee braces. Not the big Huge ones just the one with the stretching material and i put multiple ones on it. But finally its gone so,,

well good luck (btw lol I just split open my knee and had a sharp piece of metal rammed into where i used to have osgood)
Co-Founder