Author Topic: Joint Strength  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
Joint Strength
« on: February 12, 2006, 03:14:44 PM »
I've noticed that recently my joints have been hurting and feeling weak.  It seems to me that pk puts quite a bit of stress on your knees, wrists, ankles, and other joints.  So I was just wondering is there any way to strengthen your joints?  I know that there are joint supplements out there that are supposed to add cartilage or something to your joints, but I wanted to know if there was any way to strengthen them with excercise.  I know that when your muscles are sore you need to work them, and working them strengthens them.  But I'm pretty sure that this doesn't work the same with joints ;), if you work your joints too much, you seem to increase your risk of injury.  So basically what I'm trying to say is "is there any way to strngthen your joints by excercise or something like excercise"? ???
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Gearsighted

Re: Joint Strength
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 01:58:33 PM »
Yes, your joints, and more specifically your connective tissues, will become stronger through exercise and training that follows a slow and steady progression. Your connective tissues take longer to adapt to stress than your muscles, so it is possible to be capable of movements that are above the level your ligaments, tendons and cartilage can handle. If you're feeling any pain or instabillity, SLOW DOWN. Rest for a bit, then come back at a level lower than you might feel capable. Progress slowly and pay close attention to how your body reacts. This is the only way to make constant progression without overuse injuries becoming an issue.

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
Re: Joint Strength
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 08:26:02 PM »
Thankyou, I've had to give my joints a bit of rest since I've been sick the past week, so they seem to be feeling better.  I'll definitely take it easy if I feel the slightest bit of annoyance in my joints, but It seems that they've coughten up with me a little bit ;)
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”