Author Topic: Is Freerunning Different than Parkour?  (Read 28257 times)

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Is Freerunning Different than Parkour?
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2006, 04:23:43 PM »
Tripping on Acid will give you more imaginative creatures to run from... so in a way... it could be?

lol

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2006, 11:49:51 AM »
lol Twitchkidd How I love it when people put two D's in kid.  At anyrate.  This is a sense of conformity in a way.  I am conforming to the truth.  I am still do not like some of the aspects that come from just base of parkour. 

I truly hate to say this but until some group comes up with rules and regulations on this philosophy we will never get a 100% accuracy of its true worth.  I would burn the office to the ground of course if this happends because a lot of parkour represents is in the heart.  Poets have been trying to write their feelings and thoughts on paper forever now and we have never been able to explain anything.  Everyone will have their own view.  I am happy to try and follow as closely as I can to what David belle has lyricized.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2006, 01:01:32 PM »
For once I agree with you Matthew, there aren't really any true rules or regulations unless we are talking VOCABULARY. You can't just call something Parkour, Parkour is Parkour. For this we must go to the inventor, the philosophisers and practitioner, even some may say leader. Maybe it is about time David Belle or Seb specifies things a bit more to the point where the debating over such isn't so harsh and confusing. Or we could go with what we think ourselves and put all to debate about aside and call Parkour something it is not. Maybe it is about time Parkour is in the dictionary. ;)
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2006, 01:50:21 PM »
Hmmm ... I'm not tryign to be a jerk here, but Parkour is not poetic. It is not philosphy, it is not opinion, and it is not subject to the interpreter. Parkour in fact isn't flow, or even fluidity. As Skipper has said many times, these things are byproducts of moving with a set goal in mind and improving the way you move.

I think we all pretty much agreee that Freerunning suits those things, but Parkour IS defined, it is defined by a prupose, an intent. True, only the practitioner can say what their intent is, but if it doesn't match the intent of Parkour, then it just aint Parkour :)

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2006, 05:39:59 PM »
parkour: getting from point A to point B as best as possible

free-running: the byproducts of moving with a set goal in mind and improving the way you move....
-- according to M2

what i said earlier was:  Parkour is the idea + the movements, while free-running is the movements alone....

Was what i said correct? i think it is but maybe it needs to be refined a bit...
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2006, 06:39:47 PM »
by "byproducts" I only meant the "flow and fluidity" ... the other things aren't even byproducts.

I think what you say has value, but isn't completely correct / true / whatever we want to call it.

Parkour must have the intent of reaching somewhere as quickly as possible using the human body. Saying "+ movements" makes it sound like "specific" movements make up parkour, when they really don't. There are movements that will turn out to be useful more often than not, but in any situation what is useful can and will change, but the intent is the same.

As for Freerunning, it's not reaslly "the movements" since as I explained above, there is no "the movements"

That's the way I see it anyway.
Be Useful.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2006, 10:49:10 AM »
ask people from pawa.  They would not describe parkour as an A to B action.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2006, 11:15:29 AM »
right, dont think of it just as A to B. Dont think in terms of start and finish because if you were being chased, youre gonna run until you get away, not until you get to the next lamp post.

Offline Deft

• Definitely NOT a wanker...
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2006, 11:28:04 AM »
Wouldn't be the same thing as point A to point B except for that you don't know exactly where point B is until you are there. Point B could be past the next lamp post, or as soon as you get behind a locked door, or away and out of harms way. Even if you don't know where you are going or how long it will take, there is still a start and a stop to it all.

The joy of surpassing the limits of the body is open to all.
-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2006, 11:56:53 AM »
But when you say point B, that implies that there is a physical 'point' that you are seeking. this is where the confusion comes in and thats why most have abandonned the description as "A to B".

Offline Deft

• Definitely NOT a wanker...
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2006, 12:12:59 PM »
I see what you're saying but I feel every run has a start and stop(you have to start somewhere and you have to stop somewhere) and usually when I am practising alone I just try to "GO" and I stop when I have to. So my "end point" or "point B" is ususally unknown to me until I am there.

"Know matter where you go, there you are."- From Pig Killer in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

The joy of surpassing the limits of the body is open to all.
-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2006, 01:16:51 PM »
i think i'll have to agree with deft on this one....well atleast we share the same opinion on this single item in the vast ocean of controversial topics within the parkour community.

parkour is getting from point A to point B no matter where point B is. where ever you stop can be that second point it doesn't have to be a pre-determined area.
I am the Egyptian Monkey

1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2006, 02:17:19 PM »
But Point B in your application (and in every parkour application) is not actually a known point. Im not saying that you cant describe it as A to B, im saying that saying A to B is among the misconceptions and easily confused statements in parkour, thats why most of us dont use it anymore, because when you explain to a newbie that parkour is just "A to B," they will immediatley plot out their runs saying "ok that wall is point B and if i get there then i have done parkour".... thats NOT the mindset that I am trying to advertise.

Again, thats just an easy to confuse definition, and i feel that its not such a huge loss if I just stopped saying and used one of the other 100 correct interpretations we have for parkour.

Offline Tyson Cecka

• Patas
  • Tyson Cecka
    • View Profile
    • Tyson Cecka
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2006, 04:12:47 PM »
Most of the time the misconceptions about these things arise from people trying the take examples or guidance too literally. Examples like chase scenarios, "A to B", absolute efficiency, etc. Were all created to help people understand Parkour, not give them a concrete definition they twist and confuse themselves with. You have to go and learn what Parkour is truly about by going out and moving with the correct mindset (or by developing the midset after a lot of experimentation and action like most of us did), takes time and can't be boxed into little definitions or analogies.

here's a helpful post I saved:

I'm sure many of us have heard of the old "Draw a straight line from A to B on a map" quote right? And that's where most of you got hung up on Parkour being boring because of the straight line thing? Well, f#ck the straight line thing. That quote was originally intended to help describe efficiency but people starting taking this quote (as well as many others) waaay too literally.

Instead, think of it this way - Make up a path of you're own. You don't really have to have a destination goal and it most certainly doesn't have to be a straight line. In this path you will use movements that are efficient/ swift/ easier performed to YOU. Not anyone else. Parkour is not a game of numbers. It is not, choose an ending point and calculating THE most absolute, efficient techniques and number of steps and path to used to get there.

Parkour is here to be used. David's intention for Parkour was for it to be taken up and therefore making the people who practice it usefull. Usefull in that through practicing Parkour you gain ability to get places fast. Faster than most people. However, not everyone who practices Parkour, is the best traceur in the world and can overcome every obstacle or challenge. Like Skipper said, diffrent people will take diffrent paths. Some vault, some vault, some underbar. Whatever is comfortable and effiencent.

anyone remember who it was from, forgot to write that. One of the few helpful people on UF from a long time ago most likely, Sov? M2? Dan?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 04:17:06 PM by Undaunted »

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2006, 04:33:29 PM »
i really like that quote you have there undaunted. That definition (or whatever you want to call it) is a lot better than the point A to point B stuff. and now i understand why you guys don't use it! ahh life is so much sweeter when understood....or more bitter....okay moving on....
I am the Egyptian Monkey

1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline CabPettit

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Wind Blade
    • View Profile
    • MY MYSPACE!!! Yes..I have sunken that low
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2006, 05:02:42 PM »
Ok, so I'm new to the boards..so please don't like flame me all at once or something. I just spent a half hour reading all this to catch up haha. I haven't really been a Traceur, I've just been a free-runner in a different sense than I think you all think of, in fact most Parkour is new to me.

As a free runner in my definition I can tell you that free running to me is really just a thrill seekers area. It's a "sport" that the free runner picks up not to get somewhere in particular but instead just to become content enough with thrill for the day. I know that sometimes I look at things and figure out ways to get passed them, not the quickest but the one that would be the most fun. And as I look at all the Parkour it seems that the Traceurs run they run with intent to get somewhere. Or at least they make it seem like that
The body bends through the wind to pass what is ahead, while those that don't fall behind and become nothing more than teenage trends.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2006, 05:56:27 PM »
Hey man, welcome!
Nobody cares if youre a traceur, freerunner, circus performer, etc. As long as we can have intelligent conversations, and you just educate yourself, everyone can play nice.

I get what youre saying. its a fun thrill at times. I used to just go nuts with everything i did, but for the sake of my joints, I settled down on seeing how high i can drop from. lol.

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2006, 06:05:01 PM »
circus performer
  WOW thats what i do!!!
I am the Egyptian Monkey

1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline CabPettit

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Wind Blade
    • View Profile
    • MY MYSPACE!!! Yes..I have sunken that low
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2006, 06:59:19 PM »
Psst....secretly I want to be a circus ninja pirate......

Yeah I can see where you would eventually get cautious about the joints. I'm not worried about it yet, but I will probably be eventually. I guess I'll just have to enjoy good knees while I still can.
The body bends through the wind to pass what is ahead, while those that don't fall behind and become nothing more than teenage trends.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2006, 10:53:20 PM »
CabPettit, you're the perfect example of how things become over complicated ...

being "Brand new" you've come up with a very simple and dead-on description of the difference.

See, it's really not so hard :)
Be Useful.