Author Topic: Some words about the Parkour Community  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Some words about the Parkour Community
« on: February 24, 2006, 09:17:24 AM »
There are some new quotes up in the "Reflections" section of the homepage.

These quotes aren't necessarily related to Parkour philosophy as much as they are to the general Parkour community, which outside of APK seems to be filled with some awful bitterness. I've seen some things on other forums lately that frankly make me sad, people talking about other people, talking about other sites with nothing but negativity. I think it's really sad, and keeps us from being one large community, and for no good reason that I know of.

Anyway, APK is not against anyone else or their ideas about Parkour or Freerunning. People are welcome to politely discuss any viewpoint they want on here (barring religion and politics). APK will also not take part in "the bullshit" or trying to drag other people, websites, or communities down. To each their own.

The importance of Parkour is not "Parkour Itself", the importace of Parkour is that it can HELP people, the goal of APK is to be HELPFUL and USEFUL to people.

Namaste.

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Some words about the Parkour Community
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 10:59:42 AM »
I share your sadness for the people that feel the need to separate themselves from other communities and create invisible walls between themselves and others.

If people want to talk badly about other communities doing some act(s) that supposedly is harmful to pk, I feel that the deception and "bullshit" that they present is equally, if not more, harmful to parkour. Its the mentality that you can appear to be something that youre not on the internet, because god knows that if everyone were to actually meet, there would be no issue.

To repeat M2,
Namaste

Offline Ando

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • CHICAGO PARKOUR AERO
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 11:07:48 AM »
Sometimes on forums people tend to have shorter fuses and say things they wouldn't say in someone's face.  The important thing when helping out people learning something new is to always stay positive.  We don't want to discourage anybody.  I think the US Parkour community is a positive one.  When I go to jams the vibe is always good and thats what counts.  I know these are just forums, but its a major form of communication for us right now, so I hope eventually most people will act on forums the way they do at the jams.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 11:13:05 AM »
so I hope eventually most people will act on forums the way they do at the jams

Hopefully they will, but to be sure, Id like to take some sort of action. Nothing ever gets done if nobody does anything about it  ;)

I know theyre all probably great people in real life, but Id rather have a good time talking to them online, as well as i would talking to them off.

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 11:15:01 AM »
Namaste, indeed M2. :]

That's what community's are for, helping people. It's  really what it's about; helping people find likeminded people in their areas, helping people discover and share ideas, helping people better themselves!

"Politics are applesauce."
-Will Rogers

The internet is here to communitcate and share. Not to hide behind a keyboard and a monitor so you can talk bullshit. As Skip said, if people were to actually meet, there'd be no problem. But people unfortunately like to endow their "e-penises" with as much shite as they can.

My suggestion? Act on the internet as you would in real life. Really, just think about if what your about to do / say is something you'd do / say in real life to someones face.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 11:16:44 AM by akh horus »

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 04:41:33 PM »
This is an aspect of the internet that I really hate.  People can sit behind their monitors typing away whatever they want to.  The mentality is that you are secure and comfortable to say anything in the safety of your own home. 

Yet when you see people in person that you have talked to online it totally changes your personality.  I guess I'll use Demon as an example here ;).  When I first got on this site I felt free to talk to anyone at anytime (it's a great feeling :)), but when I went to my first big jam up at Red Rocks I kinda felt like I wasn't "good enough" to talk to Demon.  I eventually did, but it took a while to work up the courage ;)

Now see there is no way I would say that when actually meeting up with people, so I guess in some ways feeling secure is a good thing.  It's nice to have the ability to be open about things that you really want to discuss, we don't often have the right situations in public.

Anyway, I think it is sad that people feel the need to dis other pk organizations.  I guessing that we all really want the same thing for parkour, we just express it in different ways.  Expressing your views is very difficult on the internet :P.  This is something that we all need to understand, most arguments come from not understanding eachother. 

And like you guys said, if we keep putting down other pk organizations then we are the same (or worse) then they are.  A constructive mindset will win over all! ;)
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 02:24:11 PM »
Namaste.

Damn tree huggining  hippies   ;)

I defineatly see were you coming from though. I agree with the most strident of purist in principle but not in excution. I don't think belittling people achieves anything, for the most part I would be happy to meet everone I have spoken to online about parkour, free running or any related activites. Its is easier to let argument to become entrenched online that is for sure.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.