Author Topic: rolling  (Read 2450 times)

Offline mrjack1112000

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
rolling
« on: February 03, 2008, 03:07:45 PM »
rolling is a very improtant skill to aquire. it should be one of the first things you learn in your parkour journey. unfortunatly, some people have trouble with this technique. i remember i did. rolling was difficult for me to learn at first. i was to scared to dive roll because of fear of hurting my wrists. i was scared of the forward roll, because i didnt want to hurt my back, or neck. shoulder rolls were my worst enemy. here are a few rolling tips

1. know your limits. dont try and dive roll a dumpster. start small, like with a bush, or even a line of books. with the line of books, you can adjust both height, and width. it is a good idea to start small, and know your dive.

2. dont be scared!!!!! it is a little freaky at first to be diving head first towards the ground. try it on grassy, or sandy areas before blacktop and pavement.

3. Practice!! this is the most important fundamental for anything in parkour. start of small, and work your way up!!! and drill yourself when ever you get the opportunity. just dont hurt yourself.

4. warmup! this is needed in any workout, drill, or run. start of with light stretching, and a light jog. hydrate. stretch again. hydrate. hydrate. hydrate. stretch!!!

5. for a shoulder roll, start the execution with one foot, and end it on the same foot. roll diagonally across the back...not straight. when you roll straight on your back, you will hurt your self. dont worry, direction is changed by shifting hands. how ever your hands are turned, decides the direction in which you will roll.

6. for front rolls, never ever touch your head to the ground. roll smoothly across your back, making sure not to put too much pressure on your spine.

7. know when a roll is necessary!
     -shoulder rolls are used when you have a lot of forward momentum
     - front rolls are used, more or less in an emergency situation, where your momentum is very weak.
     -side rolls. this is basically a bail. if you are in a fall, and cant execute any other roll, because you bailed from a move, soften the blow with a side roll.

i hoped this helped some of you.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Re: rolling
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:01:29 PM »

Although I think it is great you are trying to kelp people put, I believe your post has some flaws.

1- Dive rolls is something you try once you already have the basic roll technique down.
 2- You never, ever, ever roll on your spine, ever. "making sure not to put too much pressure on your spine." You dont put any pressure on your back, at all, never ever.
 3- Front roll can be also done from shoulder to hip, itd be basically the same as a regular roll.
 4- Side roll are effective, yet they are not only use for bails, sometimes your body just position its self on a way that it is just easier to do a side roll. sometimes you are bailing and still can do a regular roll.

one thing, I strongly agree ith you, "rolling is a very important skill to acquire. it should be one of the first things you learn in your parkour journey. unfortunately" you are also right by advising to start small.

I just thought I should clear a few stuff that I thought were a bit off.

Here is a roll tutorial that will show the progression techniques to an effective roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tJAyNxig_A
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:00:38 AM »
yea i agree with Ozzi because if you actually have the regular roll down to be natural...you dont need to do any other roll...i mean there are instances when you bail you might do a side roll...but everytime i have bailed...especially out of dive kongs i roll right out of it easily...also when practicing monkey's over a crash mat at my dojo i sometimes get really high and when i land i notice myself try to just do a regular landing on your feet but sometimes i get too high and i slow myself down but it isnt enough to keep me from injuring my knees so once i hit that point i go straight into a roll

my friend said it looks weird cuz its like a delayed roll but it helps lol
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline mrjack1112000

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:36:35 AM »
thanks for clearing those things up. ive only been doing parkour for about a year now, still not the greatest. my rolls are near perfection though. i just stuck to the basics.

Offline fr33runner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 01:16:20 PM »
I think that all in all you have a nice rolling tutorial. Apart from what Ozzi cleared up I am sure it could help a beginner out there who is just starting out and doesnt know where to begin. Hey! Not everybody is a bad critic! lmao :P Just kiddin'
-Fr33Runner

Offline Jaxers

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 12:18:06 PM »
im new (been doing it for about 3 days) and i've started rolling, according to how apk tells you. but i found the vid posted by Ozzi helpful and hopefully itll be easier :P
what's it mean "sweep your hand to your opposite foot"? i don't get it... and the guy doesn't seem to do it.
and when i've been practicing on grass, sometimes i land hard on either my shoulder or back and don't know why ???
ill try the new way today  ;D hopefully it works
thanks!

oh and whats the difference between a side roll front roll and forward roll (is there a back roll???)? thanks
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:19:57 PM by Jaxers »
I do all my own stunts.

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Jaxers

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
er haha thanks :-[ i feel foolish!
thanks though
I do all my own stunts.

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."
Arthur C. Clarke

Offline kzpl14

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 10:31:45 AM »
hey im new to parkour and when i try to do the roll my right shoulder hurts. Is it because im doing something wrong or becuase maybe i did it too many times?

Offline Hombre13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »
I think you had it right when you said side rolls are only for bails.  I don't think a side roll should ever be performed outside of a bail because the are simply not as safe as a parkour roll.  Their is no reason a side roll should be performed deliberately, it may cause injury and puts to much contact with your spine on the ground.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 12:51:43 PM »
Even after a bail you should still be able to roll out regularly if you train it correctly...of course there will be some rare occasions where you cant do a regular roll
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »
hey im new to parkour and when i try to do the roll my right shoulder hurts. Is it because im doing something wrong or becuase maybe i did it too many times?

This is a common problem in judo kids as well. What may be happening is that you are doing the roll correctly except you are rolling over your shoulder as well. If it helps, push yourself slightly forward in the roll, and this may help you not hit your shoulder.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Jaxers

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 05:34:46 AM »

This is a common problem in judo kids as well. What may be happening is that you are doing the roll correctly except you are rolling over your shoulder as well. If it helps, push yourself slightly forward in the roll, and this may help you not hit your shoulder.

i have this problem too; what do you mean by "push yourself slightly forward"? do you do that with your hands?
and aren't you supposed to be rolling over your shoulder? sorry for all the newbie questions!
I do all my own stunts.

Arthur C. Clarke

Offline kzpl14

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 10:04:25 AM »
yeah i figured out what i was doing incorrectly. I think i was rolling more straight around my right shoulder and back then from my right shoulder to my left hip. I tried rolling more over my shoulder so it felt like i was going some what in an angle but i was rolling straight. it sounds complicated but i watched the video in this thread over and over and found out what i was doing wrong and now my shoulder doesnt hurt anymore when i roll.

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 03:45:57 AM »
In judo atleast, it may be slightly different for parkour because you're rolling on hard ground or grass not a nice soft mat. But when I say 'push yourself slightly" I mean push off with your feet when you roll so you get a little more momentum, enough to have your shoulder not touch.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Jaxers

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 03:51:02 AM »
thanks. im pretty sure i did it right at least twice yesterday cuz i felt no pain in my shoulder. i did push off with my feet and tried to roll across my back and i think it worked!
are you supposed to land into a roll two feet together or the way ozzi does it in his vid? i tried both. is it personal preference?
I do all my own stunts.

Arthur C. Clarke