Author Topic: for the incredably weak  (Read 3279 times)

Offline technoman93

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
for the incredably weak
« on: January 30, 2008, 07:15:57 PM »
so ive searched the forums and found allot about muscle ups. i cant work up to those because i can barely do 4 pull ups correctly! i would just work doing whatever pull ups i can but i dont feel much of a burn on my arms when im finished. So its not that i get tired i just cant physically lift myself up to that hight. is there anything i can do to work my way up to more pull ups after ive done as many as i can? push ups, dips ex.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Re: for the incredably weak
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 08:02:03 PM »
It's pretty simple, really; just keep pushing for more. Alternatively, after you've maxed on the pullups, do negatives. But the only way to get a pullup is to train pullups.

I'm pretty sure you don't want to go to absolute muscle failure, though (looks around for Steve Low).

There is a technique called "Grease the groove" which is basically doing LOTS of an exercise throughout the day; say, every hour you do your max amount of pullups or thereabouts. I'm sure there is an actual technique to it, i.e. to figuring out how many to do at a time, and how often. Steve's "How to structure a workout routine" should be a helpful source for the specifics. However the point with GTG is that you are doing the desired exercise constantly throughout the day, with long periods of rest in between. That should help you a lot.

I hope to be able to do one pullup someday, so I feel your pain. ;) Been working on it for a while.

Oh, PS: doing more pullups won't get you any closer to a muscle up. Theoretically, if you can do one pullup only, you can start training for a muscle-up because a pullup is, more or less, half a pullup. So since you can do 4 pullups, any articles you see about how to work up to a muscle up should be useful and you should start training for a muscle up if that's your goal, while continuing to increase the number of pullups you can do.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 08:04:06 PM by Muse_of_Fire »
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline technoman93

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 01:02:02 PM »
thanks for the help. i like the idea of doing alot of pull ups over a long period of time. i guess ill just keep working at it.

Offline Pendengra1

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • chupathingy, i like it. it's got a ring to it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:47:15 PM »
if you have strong door frames in your house you can grab a hold of them and do as many as you can each time you pass through a door. or if you don't have strong door frames, after you've done your pulls ups, hold it for as long as you can at the top of the bar, then come halfway down and do the same. that's what works for me. let me know how it works.
aim for the stars so even if you miss you can still land on your face

Offline Savio

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 08:03:49 PM »
To do a muscle-up you need to be able to do waaaaaay more than 4 pullups.  If you did 4 today, do 5 tomorrow, 6 the next day, etc....  The key is to always progress, and eventually 4 pullups will be as easy as brushing your teeth.  By the time you can do 20 pullups, you might try a muscle-up and find that your body has already learned how to do it from all the pullups.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:09:14 PM »
To do a muscle-up you need to be able to do waaaaaay more than 4 pullups.  If you did 4 today, do 5 tomorrow, 6 the next day, etc....  The key is to always progress, and eventually 4 pullups will be as easy as brushing your teeth.  By the time you can do 20 pullups, you might try a muscle-up and find that your body has already learned how to do it from all the pullups.

Please direct yourself here:  http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=11087.0    for more information.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:27:15 PM by Charles Moreland »

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:19:36 PM »
My best estimate based on direct experience working with people is approximately +10-20% of bodyweight weighted pullups and dips with some specific technique work on the transition.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book