Author Topic: alternatives for water?  (Read 9718 times)

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Re: alternatives for water?
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2008, 04:31:54 PM »
Water drops cancer rates! Drinking just 5 glasses a day (8 ounces is one glass) decreases your risk of colon cancer by 45%, breast cancer by 79%, and cuts the risk of bladder cancer by 50%! Mwhahaaha!! Cancer is weak, I laugh in it's face! Cancer is no match for my HARDCORE lifestyle!

Yeah.. dunno where he got that info from. That's just wrong.

Water is a catabolic substance, meaning it actually takes your body energy to digest it and let it go through your system. You lose fat just from drinking it. A cool fact is the colder the water the more calories it burns. To keep your body in homeostasis (balanced function) it actually takes energy to keep your body warm as the cold water goes into your system. You burn 150 calories extra a day just from drinking 1 gallon of icy water.

Water is neither catabolic or anabolic...

It takes more along the lines of 120-130 cals for a gallon of icy water. But that's generally negligible in a diet anyway. There's better things you can do if you wanted to lose weight.

Water lubricates your joints. Joint pain can decrease with increased water intake. Obviously joint pain is the anti-christ of a trickster...

Yeah.. synovial fluid lubricates joints. Not water. True about joint pain though.

There's a lot of things you can nitpick in the article (as evidenced -_-)... but pretty good overall. :)
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2008, 06:28:26 PM »
Why is it you need high GI carbs and fast proteins after a workout?

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2008, 07:50:47 PM »
haha i love the drinking from the hose picture lol thats
EPIC

HARDCORE
Co-Founder

Offline HungAzn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2008, 11:20:33 PM »
While your working out you should be staying hydrated with either sports drinks or just plain water.  Although Gatorade and other commercial sport drinks are filled with sugar, they still have electrolytes and other elements you need that you lose when you work out.  Drinking gatorade isn't bad, just don't drink too much of it.  I would recommend sport drinks for longer workouts compared to water for shorter ones.  Or you can mix them so you have a watered down version of gatorade. 

Milk is better for before or after a workout because it has proteins that rebuilds muscle.  Not sure how good it is to drink it while your working out.  Juice is good too because it gives you quick carbohydrate energy.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2008, 07:40:58 AM »
Why is it you need high GI carbs and fast proteins after a workout?

High GI carbs are easily absorbed by the digestive tract and can enter muscles relatively fast to help start the rebuilding process. Protein is obviously an essential component as well. Helps to stop catabolism and promote anabolism.

To be honest, in the short term it really doesn't matter all THAT much, but I'm sure there's slow cumulative effects in the long term that may help you get ahead. It's like missing a workout. It's not gonna kill you and affect you that much.. but if you start missing a workout every week then you're gonna progress slower. (just an analogy.. may be less important or more important who knows).
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2008, 08:40:16 AM »
Oh, okay. I understand. Steve comes to save the day once again =P Thanks

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2008, 08:28:14 PM »
Srry to say this dont mean to piss any1 off

Water drops cancer rates! Drinking just 5 glasses a day (8 ounces is one glass) decreases your risk of colon cancer by 45%, breast cancer by 79%, and cuts the risk of bladder cancer by 50%! Mwhahaaha!! Cancer is weak, I laugh in it's face! Cancer is no match for my HARDCORE lifestyle!  SHOULD NOT BE JOKED ABout

My mom fought breast cancer for 4 yrs, and when i was 6 i saw her die...............
Co-Founder

Offline Nom

• Mangabey
  • NOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2008, 07:33:48 AM »
LeoNn, you know that scene at the creek in The Patriot? That's what your post just did to me lol.

past: Really though, for a long time I've loathed and abominated water. Yeah I know it's good for me, yeah I know it's refreshing, but I just don't like the stuff. When I was young, my grandpa would empty out that crappy milk from my bottle and replace it with refreshing coca-cola when mom wasn't looking. No thanks icky bland liquid!

*5 kidney stones later*

present: Water for to win! I drink you drink we all make the win!
------------------
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Springfield MO Weekly Session

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 08:05:08 AM »

Water drops cancer rates! Drinking just 5 glasses a day (8 ounces is one glass) decreases your risk of colon cancer by 45%, breast cancer by 79%, and cuts the risk of bladder cancer by 50%! Mwhahaaha!! Cancer is weak, I laugh in it's face! Cancer is no match for my HARDCORE lifestyle!  SHOULD NOT BE JOKED ABout

My mom fought breast cancer for 4 yrs, and when i was 6 i saw her die...............

My apologies Hawiiboy. I didn't write the article and understand that it shouldn't be joked about so I will remove it. Both my grandfathers died from cancer, it's a shame but they're in much better places now and humaor helps us all get by :) I guess he was emphasizing how amazing water is?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 07:45:02 PM by LeoNn »
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2008, 08:10:32 AM »

I sympathize with your loss, but where are we without laughter?

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2008, 01:41:38 PM »
Yes i understand just Cancer isn't something to joke about
Co-Founder

Offline John [sss24] Chadwell

• Patas
  • I didn't do it officer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
seriously, you didnt have to admit that if you didnt want to.
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

''We take the bridge, at dawn''

You are getting arrested for doing kongs in a precision only zone.

Go with the flow-HA, I am the flow.

Offline Rickoise

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »
water would probably be your best bet, but then maybe sports drinks like gatoraid or the diet gatoraid(its called like G or something) Poweraid might work too.

Offline bob smith

• Patas
  • Philosophical Badass
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
guys i dont care anymore! :P