Author Topic: alternatives for water?  (Read 10013 times)

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Re: alternatives for water?
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 09:12:30 PM »
Peh. I just googled the first one that came up since this stuff is fairly common knowledge I thought. Oh well. I guess you don't HAVE to believe.

http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/matriarch/OnePiecePage.asp?PageID=263&PageName=articlemilkmusclemass&c1=PB-email&source=newsletterJan08&kw=Milk_MuscleMass_Article

P.S. Look in the reference section for all the citations.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:15:17 PM by Steve Low »
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 07:13:10 AM »
being on the road, I don't have time to read this all right now

when i get settled into my new place ill look back into it

honestly, i thought it was just a single study that made those claims.  Since there seems to be more out there exploring this, ill definitely examine it again...hopefully with more objective and thorough studies, which you seemed to provide :P

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 09:12:34 AM »
So, the link is dead right now (bandwidth exceeded), but this article really pumps you up for drinking water... b/c you know, it's HARDCORE!!

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 10:04:49 AM »
I drink via osmosis before a workout!
(swim)

Does anybody know if this actually works to hydrate your body?
I always took the fact that I can be buckets after a swim as evidence of absorbtion :)

"In heaven, we'll all freerun with Jesus"
                           ..."His Kongs are off the hook!"

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 10:19:59 AM »
(swim)

I always took the fact that I can be buckets after a swim as evidence of absorbtion :)

If you swim in the ocean yeah. As for an indoor/outdoor swimming pool loaded with chlorine...no it actually dries your skin out.

Offline Iceucold

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 06:21:08 PM »
(swim)

If you swim in the ocean yeah. As for an indoor/outdoor swimming pool loaded with chlorine...no it actually dries your skin out.

Bear Grylls told me that salt water dries your skin; so are you referring to fresh water oceans??
Abs Patentia Veni Perfectio.

If it doesn't have four legs or fly, *expletive deleted* it.

-Desmund from Houston Parkour

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 06:50:41 PM »
Bear Grylls told me that salt water dries your skin; so are you referring to fresh water oceans??

Oops, let me clarify. Bathing in magnesium rich salt water (such as that found in the Dead Sea) has been proven to increase skin hydration and the ability to sustain hydration. It does not actually "hydrate" your body in the manner which is being discussed. My apologies

Offline Slim_hff

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 07:05:01 PM »
Well personally, drinking a Malta India gives be a jolt, probably not doing any good though....

Like said before, water is just the best.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

~John Lennon~

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 02:36:26 PM »
oops let me rephrase,

Pee* buckets

not be* buckets
I can't do that

"In heaven, we'll all freerun with Jesus"
                           ..."His Kongs are off the hook!"

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 09:53:25 AM »
wow... thanks for those defending water... wow... I can't even believe the question.  Drink water dudes.  Here's another reason.  If you drink water with anything else in it, then you body sees it as FOOD, and therefore begins a digestive process rather than absorptive process.  Meaning... if you want to replace the 1-2 liters of water a day that you lose, don't do it by drinking anything but water.  ill get into more later
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline John [sss24] Chadwell

• Patas
  • I didn't do it officer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »
fartlek.
Hmmmm, fartlek,......interesting  ???
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 08:48:10 PM by sss24 »
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

''We take the bridge, at dawn''

You are getting arrested for doing kongs in a precision only zone.

Go with the flow-HA, I am the flow.

Offline Jordan "Sirlig" Nelson

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Oklahoma Parkour
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 08:57:18 PM »
i fartlek a donkey when i eat my house cook's food  :-Sarcasm
"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness.  Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."  --Bruce Lee

www.freewebs.com/oklahomaparkour

Offline blachawk

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 09:51:16 PM »
this might not be the right thread for this, but can you drink too much water?
i know that without letting any water out it can be dangerous(or so i hear from a don't wee for a wii contest) but is there any other reason why you should limit your intake of h2o?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 06:41:08 AM by blachawk »

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »
this might not be the right thread for this, but can you drink too much water?
i know that without letting any water out it can be dangerous(or so i hear from a don't wee for a wii contest) but is there any other reason why you should limit your intake of h20?

Yes, hyponatremia can result from drinking too much water in a certain period of time without replenishing various salts that the body needs.

Generally not something to worry about unless you're drinking more than a gallon of water in less than an hour... for whatever dumb reason that may be.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 05:52:13 AM »
i think milk and juice is alright, i read on a website that milk increases muscles when drinking after a body weight workout.  The only reason I asked is because my parents and sister said it was bad, apparently they are wrong. :-\

Milk is a great substance. It's loaded with calcium, is a great source of protein (which makes it a great natural supplement for muscle building), and has some natural fat with some carbs. Not to mention its taste varies from most other drinks, giving you a good alternative if you think water's monotonous.
The only downside is that since milk's homogenized, the fat is broken up and easier to absorb.
This is bad if you don't do a lot, since you'll start to plump up.
However, if working out, you get the benefit of milk, without worrying about the fat, since you'll burn it off.
(Don't forget that fat's not entirely bad, either. It's a long term source of energy. When your carbs deplete, it goes to fat. So, it is good to have fat if you plan on doing a lot of activitiy [such as parkour])

Also, I've been in the same boat as a lot of people. I haven't always been a healthy person, and I know what it's like to try to break from pop and drinking lots of water. The way that seemed to work best for me was to workout out a lot, since sugary substances make your throat all mucousy and don't satisfy your thirst. When you're extremely thirsty from activity, you won't have a problem guzzling down some h2o. =D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 04:23:57 PM by Aeroblitz »

Offline John [sss24] Chadwell

• Patas
  • I didn't do it officer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 05:32:41 PM »
I just quit drinking soda by just saying "enough" and to menition I'm 14 its tough
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

''We take the bridge, at dawn''

You are getting arrested for doing kongs in a precision only zone.

Go with the flow-HA, I am the flow.

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2008, 06:55:26 PM »
Just wanted to put it out there

I love water
Co-Founder

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 09:11:59 PM »
I just got myself a nice small water bottle that I can carry around with me anywhere...

How much should you drink in a day? My mom said 32 oz... the bottle is (supposedly) 22.5 oz... and I've been refilling like 3x a day. :o Am I going to die? ;D
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 06:49:48 AM »
Drink as much as you want just make sure u do u kno wat to realease it
Co-Founder

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2008, 02:32:41 PM »
Water, the magic potion!

Water is a magic potion, I swear it. It's also important because it's the preferred drink of HARDCORE people. Obviously being HARDCORE is a good thing. Note: The word HARDCORE must always be written in capital letters exclusively because it's very prestigious. In this article I'm going to explain to you it's secrets and magic properties. I can tell you honestly there was a point in my life when I could not drink it. Training yourself to drink water can be hard if you're spoiled on wimpy sugar drinks and equally wussy alternatives. Soft drinks are not HARDCORE. Hell, they can't be if they have the word soft in the name. They are for weak people. So I'll start by explaining the benefits of water and how it can aid in your tricking career. Then I'll share with you some ways to convert to a strict water consumer.

Let's start off with healthy fat loss. An active traceur and athlete will want to minimize his fat intake and body fat ratio for maximum performance. Fat is a great energy source of course, but we want to use that energy not store it. Too much stored fat adds useless weight, and if you have some rolls or paddy legs you're going to want to get rid of it for obvious reasons such as the following :

* You're slow
    * You're a noob
    * You're not fast
    * You're not pro
    * You're slow
    * You're heavy
    * You're a noob
    * You waste oxygen

and

* You are definitely not HARDCORE!

So if you are wanting to lose weight or use fat more efficiently for energy, water can do this. Water helps the body metabolize fat, but how? The kidneys can't function properly without enough water to filter them clean. They don't work to their full capacity when dirty or overloaded. Now, when the kidneys cannot finish all their work some of that load is dumped onto the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to burn off stored fat into usable energy. The liver is one bad-ass organ, appreciate the fact that you have one. Anyway, when the liver has it's job and some of the kidney's work load then it can't do this to it's full potential. So overall, you metabolize less fat and weight loss stops if you don't get enough pure water. Another useful thing to know - Water naturally suppresses the appetite - You will not be as hungry for un-needed food if you drink ample amounts of it.

Water also helps you use energy more efficiently as I've said. The way it does this is because water is PURE! It can help push substances such as waste and chemicals out of your system. Out with the old, in with the new! Also water can help your body absorb vitamins or nutrients more efficiently. Ever hear of the term Water soluble vitamin? Some vitamins can only be absorbed in your body with the aid of water. Any form of liquid can do this but water does this the best because it's pure as pure can be. Vitamin C for example is a water soluble vitamin.

Water helps your body stay cool when you work out. You sweat a lot when you work out; If you don't keep your body clean and cool you will become weak, dizzy, or dehydrated. Dehydration, if it grows to moderate or severe levels, can cause the following: Low blood pressure, fainting, convulsions, bloated stomach, fast and weak pulse, skin's loss of firmness, and heart failure. All that shit sucks, heart failure isn't cool. So when you workout you will have to drink a nice supply of fluids. The best bet is to combine water with an energy drink when you workout. Also, pour it all over yourself so you're all slick... Mr. Slick... Slick... :)

Water helps the body remove toxins. It's pure so it can absorb the junk inside your body and flush it out! Then you feel fresh and clean! YES! DESTROY THE CRAP STUCK IN MY SYSTEM! WIPE IT OUT!

Water helps you fight colds and other viruses. Combine water with an insane amount of antioxidants, laughter, and rest and you will totally ELIMINATE the disease in your body. It's also good for preventive measures!

Friends have told me that drinking an ass-load of water can help curb cravings for cigarettes! This is a really cool tip to try if you're trying to quit smoking.

Water will reduce overall water retention and bloat. For instance, your body always needs a balance of sodium and fluids. If you don't get enough sodium you will faint or feel incredibly dizzy. If you don't get enough water your skin retains the rare amounts of water it has making you Look and Feel thick and heavy, wearing you down and decreasing oxygen exchange in the lungs. So if you drink plenty of pure water, your system will regulate this back to normal; Making you feel slimmer, faster, and cleaner.

Lack of water is the #1 cause of daytime fatigue, causing you too feel sluggish and not ready to trick. Drink water and go kick ass!

Increased water intake hydrates your skin keeping it firm and healthy, transforming you into a stunning figure! YEAH!

A 2% drop in body water can trigger short-term memory loss which will make you stupid. You forget little things like your car keys, a date, or maybe you'll forget it's raining outside. Drink more and you will remember more, you'll be more focused and it will make you smarter. ^_^

Water drops cancer rates! Drinking just 5 glasses a day (8 ounces is one glass) decreases your risk of colon cancer by 45%, breast cancer by 79%, and cuts the risk of bladder cancer by 50%! Mwhahaaha!!

Water is a catabolic substance, meaning it actually takes your body energy to digest it and let it go through your system. You lose fat just from drinking it. A cool fact is the colder the water the more calories it burns. To keep your body in homeostasis (balanced function) it actually takes energy to keep your body warm as the cold water goes into your system. You burn 150 calories extra a day just from drinking 1 gallon of icy water.

Water lubricates your joints. Joint pain can decrease with increased water intake. Obviously joint pain is the anti-christ of a trickster...

Among the health benefits I have stated it's also less expensive and will save you money! It can be very cheap and can make all the difference in the world when you convert. Hell, a soda or Sobe beverage costs $1 or more for 20 ounces. Water is free! Just go out and drink from the hose in your backyard. Drinking from the hose is HARDCORE.

Now that we've touched the benefits of drinking water, we'll discuss how you can change your ways. Let's start with my own experiences.

When I was younger I was so addicted and accustomed to soda beverages and sugar drinks that I would gag from a single taste of pure water. When I came to mature into a person who valued health and exercise this was going to change, and it was a gradual process of becoming used to it's taste and feel.

Basically the best way to train yourself to like it is to start working out really hard. If you are visiting this web site you might want to learn parkour movements or condition yourself to be a better athlete. If you train hard I guarantee that taste won't matter to you much when you're gasping for air and collapsing on the ground from fatigue in whatever training you're doing. You lose liquids from intense activity, and trust me when you're this tired your body won't care what form of liquid you put in it. For me it was running. I ran 400 meter sprinting intervals as fast as I could and I pushed myself hard enough that I'd feel like throwing up after running. Do you think I cared that water was bland after doing that? Hell no, I'd just down the whole f#cking bottle of water cause I couldn't really taste anything to begin with, I was too tired and thirsty it didn't matter to me.

So start training hard and drinking some water in combination with an energy drink during your training. When you've gotten used to that start adding water into some meals here and there. That's all there is to it! If you keep at it and stop drinking other stuff such as soda or high GI drinks on a normal basis your body will accustom itself to the blander liquid. Not to say those other formulations don't have their place in your diet, cause obviously you need a high glycemic carbohydrate drink post workout with fast proteins for reasons I'm not discussing here cause it would take me all day, but you should almost exclusively drink water overall. It even enhances the taste of a meal. Spaghetti tastes soooooo good with water because you don't have that glass of tea or coke sitting their taking the emphasis off the main course. Those other beverages are just sugar garbage that spoils your sense of taste with corruption. Definitely not HARDCORE...

Lastly how much water should you drink? Experts have for years stated that 8 glasses a day is enough for the standard individual. 8 glasses is 64 ounces. However, the average individual is not HARDCORE. HARDCORE people need a helluva lot more water! If you are one of those average people you can get your daily supply by drinking 4 (16) ounce bottles. If you're HARDCORE though you'll need to down the shit down like crazy because you'll be losing precious fluids tricking and tearing open street gang members with your bare hands on a daily basis. I hope you realize water intake can vary between the activity levels of individuals.

Once you convert you'll never go back. The feel is as incredible as the money you save! Be HARDCORE! Drink WATER!
Resources:

* http://www.fijiwater.com/site/health_benefits.html
    * Mrs. Houser's Food Science class 2002
    * Local Dietician sources

LEARN TO DRINK WATER! DRINK IT ALL THE TIME! YOU WILL LOVE WATER AND WATER LOVES YOU!

By the way, article credit goues out to Jujimufu from Trickstutorials.com. I edited it to make it a little more respectful and replace trickster with traceur  :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 08:05:33 AM by LeoNn »
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.