Author Topic: alternatives for water?  (Read 9689 times)

Offline bob smith

• Patas
  • Philosophical Badass
    • View Profile
alternatives for water?
« on: January 26, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »
Is there anything else you can drink aside from water for a workout? I need something to drink...

Offline Iceucold

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: alternatives for water?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 05:41:30 PM »
Has anyone seen my boomerang of intelligence? It appears I've misplaced it. There's plenty of things you can drink and stay hydrated. A few no-nos though: Sierra Mist, Coca-Cola, Urine, and vodka. That last one is one some of us had to learn the hard way.
Abs Patentia Veni Perfectio.

If it doesn't have four legs or fly, *expletive deleted* it.

-Desmund from Houston Parkour

Offline bob smith

• Patas
  • Philosophical Badass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »
i just mean anything thats good for the 'body' I dont want my body to hurt during/after a workout more than it has to

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 06:05:35 PM »
Why would you want anything other than water?  That's my question...

Offline Iceucold

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 06:08:44 PM »
Maybe he doesn't like the taste?? It could just be the monotony of drinking the same thing every time. During my bodybuilding days I drank just about anything and everything during a workout. Most of that stuff you just learn from experience. I say if you want to mix it up, go right ahead. Just use caution.

Offline ryan grice

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 06:35:48 PM »
Milk or juice maybe?  That's about all I can think of that won't have those man-made chemicals like soda does, and I'd check the label on the juice.  Oh, and water, of course, we know that one's safe.

Offline bob smith

• Patas
  • Philosophical Badass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 06:48:57 PM »
i think milk and juice is alright, i read on a website that milk increases muscles when drinking after a body weight workout.  The only reason I asked is because my parents and sister said it was bad, apparently they are wrong. :-\

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »
Monotonous? Sorry this may come off wrong, but I think it's horrible how you turn such an amazing process as drinking clean, healthy water into a boring overlooked action. Water is nothing short of a miracle, and perhaps it is this mind set in regards to water that makes it such a fulfilling substance for me. I hope you take into account every time you turn your faucet on how many millions of people in the world don't have that luxury.

I just don't quite understand how someone can't enjoy the 'taste' of something that makes up 55-75% of their body. Every cell in your body needs water to perform daily activities. Can you get water from sports drinks? Sure. But take into mind that sports drinks evolved into what they are today. Gatorade when it was invented tasted horrible, but was incredibly amazing for you. After it became commercialized, intense amounts of sugar was added so the general public would like the taste. Added sugar into water slows down the rate at which fluid is absorbed into the body, and so is not economical to drink after a workout.

If you're worried about hurting during a workout, then you drink adequate amounts of water before hand so when you do start exercising your body is already optimally hydrated. Especially when considering the type of exercises we do for Parkour, water is ever more necessary as it lubricates our joints. How many people complain about knee/joint related problems? And then when you take into account how many people do not get all the water intake they need, well, who knows, perhaps drinking more water could help aid them.

That last statement is stretch obviously. But you cannot disregard the importance of water based on monotony. If you seriously must find a replacement, the best thing to do is to squirt in some lime or lemon juice to kind of give it some taste. Honestly I have yet to see something better than just a healthy diet with the right amount of water before and after workouts.

Offline ryan grice

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 07:25:28 PM »
Maybe it's because I drink it so much that I don't notice anymore, but I don't taste water at all.  If you think it tastes bad you should check how clean it is.
+1 for a great rant about the greatness of water, Chad

Offline ryan grice

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 07:28:45 PM »
+1 for a great rant about the greatness of water, Chad

Why did I use great twice in one sentence?  I shouldn't try to multitask three things I guess.

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 07:41:24 PM »
Water alternative?

Yeah, it's called "aqua."

Offline Iceucold

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 07:43:15 PM »
Monotonous? Sorry this may come off wrong, but I think it's horrible how you turn such an amazing process as drinking clean, healthy water into a boring overlooked action. Water is nothing short of a miracle, and perhaps it is this mind set in regards to water that makes it such a fulfilling substance for me. I hope you take into account every time you turn your faucet on how many millions of people in the world don't have that luxury.

I just don't quite understand how someone can't enjoy the 'taste' of something that makes up 55-75% of their body. Every cell in your body needs water to perform daily activities. Can you get water from sports drinks? Sure. But take into mind that sports drinks evolved into what they are today. Gatorade when it was invented tasted horrible, but was incredibly amazing for you. After it became commercialized, intense amounts of sugar was added so the general public would like the taste. Added sugar into water slows down the rate at which fluid is absorbed into the body, and so is not economical to drink after a workout.

If you're worried about hurting during a workout, then you drink adequate amounts of water before hand so when you do start exercising your body is already optimally hydrated. Especially when considering the type of exercises we do for Parkour, water is ever more necessary as it lubricates our joints. How many people complain about knee/joint related problems? And then when you take into account how many people do not get all the water intake they need, well, who knows, perhaps drinking more water could help aid them.

That last statement is stretch obviously. But you cannot disregard the importance of water based on monotony. If you seriously must find a replacement, the best thing to do is to squirt in some lime or lemon juice to kind of give it some taste. Honestly I have yet to see something better than just a healthy diet with the right amount of water before and after workouts.

Couldn't agree more..

Offline Iceucold

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 07:47:26 PM »
Milk or juice maybe?  That's about all I can think of that won't have those man-made chemicals like soda does, and I'd check the label on the juice.  Oh, and water, of course, we know that one's safe.

“Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.”
-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Sorry for the randomness, but that was the first thing that came to mind after reading that.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 08:39:53 PM »
Quote from: ChadManX
I just don't quite understand how someone can't enjoy the 'taste' of something that makes up 55-75% of their body.

<raises hand> i can, though :P

I don't know about any of you guys, but i wasn't always in good health and so educated on healthy eating.  One of the first hardships I faced on getting on the right path to healthy eating and living was transitioning from drinking soft drinks to drinking water.

It is my opinion that this is the first step to healthy living.  In the US, many of us are conditioned from birth that our drinks must have a "flavor".  I don't think I ever asked my mother for water when I was a kid -- sad, I know.  My parents drank sugary iced teas and a "healthy" beverage was a glass of orange juice...not that its not healthy, but it is loaded with [natural] sugar.  I used to choke water down because i was so conditioned otherwise.

I agree that water should be the primary beverage for every human on the planet, especially those who are active.  I think that it takes a bit more empathy though when you are faced with a question like this.

In short, make the transition to water.  You won't look back.  Understand that others have faced the same problem...and you will learn to love pounding a glass of water much much much more than drinking those sugar laced sports drinks and sodas.

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 08:48:04 PM »
I drink chocolate milk/milk with honey after workout. It's good to have proteins and some carbohydrates.
Although I also drink crapload of water. Believe me, you don't think water is nasty after a good 7 mile fartlek. And the day after too.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift"
- The Prefontaine

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 09:55:59 PM »
Chocolate milk is decent during a workout (if you can stomach that). And yes, there are some studies on this. Here's one of them: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370

Anyway, yeah.. sports drinks like gatorade are actually more concentrated (with sugar) than they have to be. The correct dilution is something like 1/3 or 1/4 of the actual concentration of sugar within the drink (if you wanted to save money doing that).

Pretty much water and possibly milk/choco milk are the best. Other sports drinks are basically worse off.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline dinomite

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Dinomite.net
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »
If you get tired of plain water, try drinking carbonated water (seltzer); you can buy it in liter bottles at the supermarket.  I like the stuff so much that I built myself a last year: http://dinomite.net/archives/homemade-carbonator
-Drew
Foster City, CA

Offline Iceucold

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 03:18:29 PM »
If you get tired of plain water, try drinking carbonated water (seltzer); you can buy it in liter bottles at the supermarket.  I like the stuff so much that I built myself a last year: http://dinomite.net/archives/homemade-carbonator

I have trouble with model cars; I can't see that working for me. Somehow the words Houston, disaster, and domestic terrorist come to mind.

Offline dinomite

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Dinomite.net
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »
I have trouble with model cars; I can't see that working for me. Somehow the words Houston, disaster, and domestic terrorist come to mind.
Heh, if you wait until it's on sale at the supermarket, it can be had for less than a dollar per liter; thankfully, they don't overprice it like regular bottled water, even though there's arguably more value in a bottle of seltzer.

On that note, I saw a guy leaving the supermarket with 5 cases of Deer Park water today.  Are people really afraid of drinking from the tap?
-Drew
Foster City, CA

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 08:40:49 PM »
Quote from: Steve Low
Chocolate milk is decent during a workout (if you can stomach that). And yes, there are some studies on this. Here's one of them: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370

Yeah, i read one of those studies...

I couldn't access the one you posted up, but the one I read only examined 6 test subjects over a single bout of training which seemed sketchy to me.  Also, the study was sponsored and funded by the American Dairy Association which made me kind of leary of the results being skewed...

Maybe the study you posted (or others) are different, but the one that I read was not very convincing and I didn't really agree with their conclusion...