Author Topic: Regular Gym Jam opportunities  (Read 11951 times)

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
Regular Gym Jam opportunities
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »
Okay! So we here in Charlotte have a couple of opportunities for having regular gym-jams in one of a couple of gymnastics gyms in the area!

Out of probably close to 20 gyms that were contacted in Charlotte and surrounding areas, two of them are willing to work with us. I want to put down here what they have both offered us as far as time, cost, and equipment, and get everyone's feedback on them.

G & J Speedway Gymnastics

Time offer:
12:15 - 1:15 Saturdays

Cost offer: 
Short-term (as in if we come in once here, once there, not every Sat for a whole month):
$15 per person
Long-term (as in we pay per month, for four one-hour sessions on Sat's):
$30 sign-up fee, then $60 per month per person

Equipment:
Spring floor
Uneven bars
Even bars
High and low balance beams
Numerous stackable mats and different foam shapes, including blocks, "doughnuts", cylinders and wedges
Ceiling rope
Crash pads
Trampoline runway

Carolina Gymnastics Center

Time offer:
~7:30 - ~9:30 Thursday nights

Cost offer: 
Short-term (as in if we come in once here, once there, not every Thurs for a whole month):
Not sure if there is a short-term offer. I am waiting to hear back from the owner.
Long-term (as in we pay per month, for four two-hour sessions on Thurs's):
$200 per month to rent the space for the time offered. That's for the whole group, NOT per person. Which means the more people who come, the cheaper it gets per person. This also may sound like a lot, but the owner really wants to work with us, and this is a DEEPLY discounted rate vs. other dojos/groups that rent his space.

Equipment:
Spring floor
Uneven bars
Even bars
High and low balance beams (lots of low ones, good for balance, precisions)
Stackable floor mats and a few foam shapes
Ceiling rope
Crash pads
In-ground trampoline
Several pommel horses (including a moveable one or two)
In-ground foam pit

Please everyone post your thoughts!

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
Re: Regular Gym Jam opportunities
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 11:10:10 AM »
May seem redundant for me to post right below, but the 1st post was for the actual offers, this is the first "response" post. It just happens to be my own response, hehe.

It really seems like G&J will be a once in a while kind of gym. I mean 1 hr isn't a lot of time, and $60/mo/person isn't reduceable. They have great equipment, and comparatively the facility is newer, and has some more alterable blocks than Carolina Gymnastics, but is going to be the more expensive of the two. Carolina Gymnastics will most likely more than serve our needs, though. For the price Carolina Gymnastics has offered us, if we get 10 ppl (I can think of 9 off the top of my head) to go the 1st night, and everyone chips in a $20, that's a whole month right then and there. If everyone brings 1 friend, not only is that a huge jam, that's $10/mo/person. That's awesome!

There is a chance to visit Carolina Gymnastics this coming Thurs, and pay like in the short-term just for the one night. Might be a fun night, and a great opportunity to try the equpment out before committing to a whole month, see? I'm going to be posting in here and updating the 1st post in this thread when I hear back from the owner if he'll be able to do that for us.

Put up your thoughts, good/bad/other, everyone! :) This is a great opportunity to have a warm place to jam while it's cold, and a padded place for additional jams when it's warm!

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline paperboyhero

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • You can't spell "manslaughter" without "laughter."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »
Based on our visit to Speedway, I think a once-in-a-while sort of approach there is really best.  I'm not sure how comfortable J was with letting us on his stuff.  It may have been a liability thing, but I could tell we were making him nervous for whatever reason.

The equipment was nice, but it isn't much use to us if he's nervous about our being on it.

Beside which, that little girl was scary.  I fear for our shins.   ;D

Whenever you're game to check out the other place, I'll be there.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 09:40:17 AM »
Just got a call from Tony (the owner) at Carolina Gymnastics RE us checking out his stuff.

He's totally cool with us having a 2 hr jam session in his gym this Thurs, 7:30 - 9:30. Bring $20 to join. This is like a one-time thing, and remember if we do decide to jam regularly at Carolina Gymnastics, and at least 10 of us chip in, $20 will cover a whole month. :)

Also, and this is important, this is a pretty damn family-friendly facility. There'll be families and mommies and daddies and their little daughters all over the place when we get there. It is important that we make sure none of those ppl are nervous at all when a group with a bunch of (really good looking  ;)) unfamiliar young males all rise up in there. So appearances are going to be important. We won't have to do much different, just make sure that you don't wear like a t-shirt with something racy on it for the most part. It's like, if you wouldn't see a mommy/daddy sububia-type wearing it, don't wear it yourself, see? This applies not just to any of us jamming, but to anybody who would be tagging along, too. If you're with our group, this applies to you. This also isn't just me saying this, Tony expressed that we should kind of play it safe with first impressions. We really don't want to "freak out" any of the parent-types, and you know parent-types: they can freak out easily. For our own interests, we also want to ensure we'll keep getting awesome deals on being able to use this gym!

Who's down? I think it's going to be mad fun.

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline paperboyhero

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 12:35:49 PM »
Totally makes sense.  We don't want to hurt his bottom line; he'd probably notice that and wouldn't want us to come back.  Fair enough.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 01:07:13 PM »
Yea it sounds like a bigger deal than it is, kinda. I mean it is important, but the bottom line is like dress "normal"/conservatively, and we gotta present ourselves well.

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline pr gringo

• Patas
  • DANGER MONKEY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 03:34:22 PM »
Yea i'm so down for goin to Carolina Gymnastics this thursday, but i am kinda worried that if we all do pay 20 bucks and it turns out we dont like it, or we really freak some parents out, or in some way or another not go back, i kinda don't wanna pay 20 bucks for 2 hours. 

but if we can honestly get enough people that are willing to come out and put forth the money, plus are fully aware what is at stake (if we don't present ourselves in a good light, we can't come back etc.) that my worries will be further quelled.

so as for people who are willing to come, please post up votes and any other thoughts on the situation.  namaste

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 05:04:04 PM »
That is a good point, B. But if we do get enuf ppl out so that $20/person = $200, and we do really dig the place, then we can just say to Tony, "We like the place, this is awesome, why don't we go ahead and use this $200 as the a month's pay?" He'll probably be cool with that. :)

So yeah, like you said: If you are interested in coming AT ALL, POST UP and say so! :D The more ppl, the cheaper it is for each of us to pay for a whole month's worth of gym jams! :D Now is the perfect time, too since it's so damn cold. It didn't get above freezing today! DAYUMN!

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline SlØth

• Mangabey
  • Virtus
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »
I'm down for Carolina Gymnastics this Thursday.  So far it's looking like Cliff, B, Ryan, Matt and myself are definitely interested.  That's 5 down, need 5 more.
facebook // youtube // Flickr // North Carolina Parkour

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 06:20:38 AM »
Lookin' fw to tonight guys. :)

B:

I just happened to think, what a/b those guys you met at Smelly Cat? They posted in here recently? Do you think they'd be down?

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline SlØth

• Mangabey
  • Virtus
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 08:11:45 AM »
B:

I just happened to think, what a/b those guys you met at Smelly Cat? They posted in here recently? Do you think they'd be down?

Also, it's too late for tonight.  But we should talk to those guys interested from Venture and see if they're interested as well.

P.S.  Does anyone have confirmation that Ian's alive?

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 09:30:32 AM »
What is Venture? :)

I spoke to Ian the other day, and he's alive... Doubtful he'll make it, though.

Does anybody have Jeff/Jugg's numbers?!

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline pr gringo

• Patas
  • DANGER MONKEY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 11:36:05 AM »
yea i called ian yesterday and hopefully i pursuaded him to come.  Matt says he'll pay for his way because ian again does not have a job, so money is an issue with him.  And so hopefully he'll come tonight.  and no i dont have Juggs number, ian would def have it though.

and i also talked to Monk and he's game as well!!!
any other people we're missin??

Ohfo: Venture is the outdoor program on campus that both steven and i are involved with.  and i bet a lot of them would be interested in goin as well but it might be a lil late notice for tonight.  we'll be sure to keep in contact with them this semester

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 11:40:48 AM »
Ah cool, Venture sounds sweet, mang. What do you guys do? Like go rockclimbing and punch bears in their abs? We can talk a/b it tonight. Do you think that any of them would be game, even on short notice? Just wonderin'. Some ppl are like flexible that way. :)

Hooray for Monk! Hooray for Ian, if he makes it! Which I hope he does b/c that would be awesome and Matt is a supercool guy for offering! I didn't even think a/b something like that happening... I have no idea why. :P

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline SlØth

• Mangabey
  • Virtus
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 07:13:57 PM »
I have devised using MATH  :-Sarcasm how much I owe per person.

So uhh... I'll buy you all a junior bacon cheeseburger or something.

Offline paperboyhero

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 08:09:08 PM »
Does that seem fuzzy to anyone else...  ;D

Nice Gym Jam, guys.  I'm down for going again.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 05:57:29 AM »
Yea I'm cool (esp since it's looking like it's going to be lows around and below freezing for the next # of weeks) with trying to scrape up the money for a month or two's worth of gymjams there.

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline SlØth

• Mangabey
  • Virtus
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 11:21:14 AM »
Actually, I think there were only 6 of us.  Which comes out to $4 I owe to each of you. 

I'm totally down with the gym thing too.  I think it'll be worth the investment.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 10:20:48 AM »
So the big q is: you guys want to jam at the same place this Thurs and make it like a regular thing for 4 weeks? It's going to be cold/cool, and possibly wet this Thurs (as of right now, anyhow), anyways...

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline paperboyhero

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 02:50:03 AM »
Financially, will T want another 20 per person?  Or do we just need to make up the difference between 200 and what we paid last week?