Author Topic: Running  (Read 1554 times)

Offline droper1

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Running
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:07:30 PM »
Hey I just started doing the APK Warm-up and am trying to work into doing the actual WOD's. But aside from these workouts, about how much running would you guys recommend doing on a daily/weekly basis to not only just get in shape but throughout your long term training regimine.

Offline Marshall Cent Lewis

• Mangabey
  • PKVA - Richmond, VA
    • View Profile
Re: Running
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:28:32 PM »
If you do not run often or don't get any leg exercise, or don't have a history of doing either, then you should really take it slow.  Maybe start the first week with running a mile everyday or for 10 minutes.  Don't go for speed yet, just focus on keeping a steady pace, using good form, and getting through the workout.  Week two, you may want to add a half-mile or another 5 minutes to your run, and if you still feel like that's too difficult, then repeat what you did the first week for the second week.

Use goals to map out where you want to be in two weeks, one month, etc.  And don't be afraid to adjust them if you absolutely have to.  Just make sure you stick to a regular schedule so that those goals can be accomplished.

The progression is usually slow, and if you try to increase your mileage too fast, then the results could sometimes be bad.  I've had 3 stress fractures in my left shin at the same time for trying to do this before my high school's 2006 Cross Country season.  I started running 3-5 miles every day to get back in shape before the season when I was totally out of shape.  Bad idea!  Don't repeat my mistake

If you aren't already in much shape for running, you're going to be pretty sore the day after your first run.  One of the worst things you can do is not run at all that next day.  The soreness will eventually go away with continued running.  If the soreness is way too extreme, then decrease the length of your run that day.  No matter what, make sure you run!  It will help you a lot.

One of the most important things is stretching!  Stretch before, stretch after.  Always.  Stretching before you run will loosen your muscles and allow easier motion.  Stretching after loosens up the stiffness obtained after running as well as helps to prevent soreness the next day.  Stretching is especially important now, as it is cold.  Picture a rubber band, and cold rubber bands break easier, right?  Tendons work in almost the same sense.  The colder they are, the easier they are likely to be injured or in extremely over-stressed circumstances, snap.

Warm up too.  Do this before you do your first stretch.  About 2-5 minutes of running should be pretty good.  This is just to get your heart pumping and the blood flowing.  This also helps prevent possible injuries.

Cool down.  Basically the same as a warm up, but after your run.  Take a minute or two to rest after your workout then take a nice easy pace for you to cool down.  Then do your final stretch.

I hope this helps, if I missed anything let me know and I'll try to address it.  I tried to put everything I could think of, but I'm being forced off the computer by my brother. :P
Happy training!!
USMC Combat Engineers
Nut up or shut up!

Offline droper1

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Running
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 08:47:21 PM »
thanks man that does help. I used to wrestle in high school so I'm not new to working out, its just been so long that I'm now just fat and lazy compared to what i used to be able to do. I just wanted to know if there was like a set mileage that I should shoot for and then once I reach it not go past but just maintain while I devote myself more to working on technique and strength than seeing how many miles I can run. I'm assuming it's probably just one of those things where I decide, but I just wanted to check and see how much some of the more experienced people are doing on a daily basis to keep their wind up.