Author Topic: Stuntpeople  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Todd1

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Darkburg (Harrisburg Parkour)
Stuntpeople
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:55 AM »
Every since I sustained my injury a couple of weeks ago, my training has been really limited.  Normally I may post here and there, but I try spend my time training rather than sitting on the boards posting.  The last thing I really want to do is get into age-old discussions about what is parkour and other such nonsense, and I've been biting on those hooks lately.  It bothers me.

So I decided to spend yesterday watching martial arts movies instead.  Watched a bunch throughout the day.  And somewhere in the middle of it all, I noticed something...  stuntpeople are awesome.  Not that I haven't been impressed with some of the more spectacular movie stunts before.  But it was really noticing little, understated things that awed me.  Tony Jaa was kicking butt, as usual, and he kicked some guy off the second floor, through the railing and he did a back full twist and landed flat on his face.  It was all one camera shot, there were no mats, and even if the floor was padded it was still incredible.  Then I started focusing on the guys getting their butts kicked rather than the star.  They are amazing, and they truly make the scenes work.  Yeah, Tony Jaa is awesome, no doubt.  But the guy that takes a kick to the head, flips over and lands on the corner of a metal dumpster, and falls to the ground on the back of their neck is really incredible too.

I spent some time doing aikijutsu, so I'm familiar with breakfalls.  Also with Aikijutsu, the uke role really reminds my of those stuntpeople getting beat up.  Uke's job is to make nage look good.  Uke attacks nage, nage does whatever and kicks uke's butt.  Uke has to flow with the techniques, always be a second ahead of what nage is doing, and be able to receive the technique safely, which is where the breakfalls come in.  It really seems to parallel the role of the guy getting beat up in the movies. 

Anyway, sorry for this injured, rainy day rant.  Lack of training boredom is killing me.  Just wanted to express my thoughts about the people who usually go unnoticed or underappreciated for what they do. Next time you watch your favorite action flick, pay homage to the stuntpeople who take a beating for our entertainment.
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Stuntpeople
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »
That was one of the best pondering I've read. Now I want to learn more about breakfalls, as they will tremendously help with Parkour training, and possibly preventing any future injuries.

Thanks for sharing! :) ;D

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 01:27:36 PM »
Breakfalls have saved my butt many, many times. Learn them.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline peter b

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 01:36:20 PM »
stunt people are awesome. one of the guys i train with on  saturdays wants to be a stunt man

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »
O yea stuntmen are the ish. I'm actually training to be a stuntman, my first big gig is this summer. Its not easy work because one small mess up and you could injury yourself or the actor
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:25:26 PM »
Jackie Chan used to be a stuntman for Bruce Lee... Now look where he is.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan