Author Topic: How Old do I Have to be to Start Parkour or Freerunning?  (Read 74306 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
How Old do I Have to be to Start Parkour or Freerunning?
« on: January 06, 2008, 06:24:50 AM »
Its not age so much as attitude. When I was 14 I was very independent, but also very immature. I would have probably killed myself if I had either gotten the motorcycle I wanted so badly or if I had seen some of the Parkour videos out there!

What's most important is your patience, and willingness to train correctly and safely. There is NO need to ever go on a roof, and nothing about being on a roof that makes you any better at Parkour or Freerunning. What makes people good is practice, consistent, safe practice. Going big leads to injuries which leads to less consistent practice. Going too far outside your comfort zone leads to hesitation, leads to injuries, leads to less practice. Parkour and Freerunning are not about balls or guts, they are about honing your abilities so that more things are within your realm of safe possibilities. Even then there is a risk of danger, "even monkeys fall from trees".

So, I can't tell anyone a specific age is right or wrong, but here's a guideline: if you are disciplined (yes, Parkour is a discipline, funny how bad words and good words are the same words :) ) enough to train for three hours a week by setting up a goal or plan and sticking to it without jumping off anything over your own chest height for a month straight, then you are suited for Parkour and Freerunning safely and will probably get good at it. On he other hand, if you go out to train precisions, and ten minutes later you're jumping off 6' walls and rolling before you knowhow and doing running jumps, then Parkour and Freerunning are not for you, you will only end up hurt.

Don't go out training alone, and if you're less than 18 don't go meet "people from the internet" without at least a few friends or even a parent. There are a lot of other pieces of advice about starting to train that aren't included in this article but exist in others, like whether to start in a gymnastics gym with padding, training alone or with friends, etc.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline dood0dood

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: How Old do I Have to be to Start Parkour or Freerunning?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 07:17:48 PM »
 thx this answer my question perfectly come to think of it a new YMCA was built two blocks away from me...you think they might be interested in teaching parkour?

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 08:28:57 PM »
They probably wouldn't but you could try.
They would have to be certified or what not....

Well... they could always call it "Movement Class" or something like that. and teach parkour and free running in it.. but I think a gymnastics center would be more likely to do it... for instance.. TumbleTime Gymnasium.

Offline tabler1010

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 01:17:19 PM »
im 12 and i do it the olny problem  is im not full size and do not have alot of arm strength i can do like 15 pull ups

Offline Kurt "Ziro" Samuels

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 06:07:15 AM »
On the opposite end, of this, I'm 26 and just getting really interested in this, but I look around the net and at videos and things and I wonder if I'm almost too old to just get started as it seems most people doing it are like 20ish. Out of curiosity, what is the average age of the people around these parts?
If it kills you, it kills you.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 12:42:54 PM »
On the opposite end, of this, I'm 26 and just getting really interested in this, but I look around the net and at videos and things and I wonder if I'm almost too old to just get started as it seems most people doing it are like 20ish. Out of curiosity, what is the average age of the people around these parts?

Dude, don't worry about it. What you see on YouTube vids and such is often only the big-air/dangerous stunts that only the most experienced traceurs are conditioned and prepared to do. In fact, this is only an extremely small portion of parkour. Many of us[including me] on this forum don't do 'big tricks,' but we "keep it simple, stupid" and like to practice more of the technical, precise movements, that are mostly low to the ground and safe. Take Mark[that one that wrote this FAQ] for example. He is in his mid 30's[right?] and is better than most of us. I've watched him at jams. He enjoys doing precision jumps and balance maneuvers, and almost always low to the ground. As long as you take it slow and listen to your body, you'll do fine.

Maybe someone older than 17 will have more insight.

M2? Muse?[not that I think you're old ;)] Somebody help me out.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
PS: Also, check out the 'Over 40 - or even over 30' board lower down on the main forum page. There's some inspiration for you...  :P

Just click here:
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?board=145.0
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Kurt "Ziro" Samuels

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »
Thanks :) I guess it's not so much that I feel too old to do it, and I wouldn't let that stop me really anyway, but rather I just feel like I would be 'that older guy who sucks' or something lol.
If it kills you, it kills you.

Offline AirGear

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »
im 14 im not that good actualy i suck im horrible but i love parkour if my arm wasnt broken i would be out practicing every day and will soon be doing just that so i believe it is maturity not age that we should justify this with ive met some pretty stupid 20 year olds and some increadably(spelled wrong) smart ones and the same goes for kids my age so i think its stupid that were talking about age in this but size is a different matter but thats just my opinion ( i hope i didnt  offend anyone)

Offline james34

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »
i am 15. i train with my friends. we had a fever for it over the summer we must have gone about 10 hours a week minimum. but we had no training other than each others insight and youtube videos.. i cant find anywhere that provides formal or experienced training in my area.. (massachusetts) can someone tell me where i could search or find something.

Offline BWADE612

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »
I'v been freerunning for about a year and im 13 i been doing it with my 1 friend who isnt around much so i train by myself. Its kind of boring but it pays off. When i First started doing it i got hert alot becouse i didnt really know how to land and jump properly

Offline Stephanie Belle Hagan

• Mangabey
  • poof.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 07:04:57 PM »
I'm 14. For some reason, I feel pretty young when I look at other traceurs around me. But it doesn't bother me too much... I just with I had more upper body strength. I could run a marathon, but can barely manage 5 pull-ups... heh.  :P

"When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So, what the hell, leap!"
-Unknown

Offline PKAB

• Mangabey
  • Do a Barrel Roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »
Im twelve and I dont care about age for Parkour.
Perfection is a flaw.

Offline Daniel "spider" Potes

• Guenons
  • i cant find a decent pic soo to bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 10:24:20 AM »
i agree with marks statement. i am almost sixteen, have been doing parkour for about 5 months and started out with no physical prowess. now im as fit as ive ever been. i agree also that parkour is more for those who are ready to train and not grumble. i love training and try to get around an hour  day. with the help of some of my more dedicated freinds ive reached a level that pleases me. many people i know who got excited about it never trained and ended up hurting themselves and quitting.
Though there is pain and suffering everywhere when all of what you feel goes into one thing and makes it beutiful you know you have reached happiness

Offline FalconRunner24

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • \=W=/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 03:34:22 PM »
im 14 and i dont think anyone in my grade or skool even knows wat parkour or free running is. any suggestions on how to get started in a small northern NJ town and where to practice?
My life is about fast speeds and precision.

Offline MetalPanda

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 06:49:40 PM »
16 and my neighbor is 14. we got into this sorta last summer. but are just now getting serious for this summer.
it started off as flips into a pool, now we wanna flip flat ground. ha. but there are NO good spots by us. i'd have to get us downtown and my car sucks! lol XD

b5200

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »
I'm 14 now and I think I started when I was 11.  Age does not matter.  I admit, I didn't really do much for my first year or so but if it wasn't for those years I wouldn't have the dedication I have now.  I managed to do some bad damage to my joints as well the first 2 years but that taught me the lesson not to jump off of stuff(and it taught me the miracle of glucosamine supplements as well).

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
well, ive always been comfortable jumping off things before i started parkour, and even once i did start, before i learned how to land, i never once hurt myself.

now that ive learned the proper way to do it and how to roll it makes things even easier.
i run daily, at my school im taking a class called "strength and conditioning" where i exercise every day of the week.

i thought i was in pertty good shape, then i started practicing my rolls by jumping down about ten feet and found out how outa shape i was. after my first hour 1/2 workout i was sore for two days...

i think where you start depends on your own personal fitness level; though i realize you were more using the "month of jumping only less than chest level" as an example of discipline.

the thing i like the most about parkour, is on top of it being something i find fun, relaxing, meditative, and invigorating, i also find it to be one of the best and easiest workouts to do. i used to love doing nothing all day, but since ive started parkour i hate sitting in a chair for more than a half hour straight, i gotta get up and move! i love parkour, its the best thing thats happened to me
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline Micah Childs

• Guenons
  • WOOHOO!PARKOUR FOR LIFE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 07:11:53 PM »
"The thing I like the most about Parkour, is on top of it being something I find fun, relaxing, meditative, and invigorating, I also find it to be one of the best and easiest workouts to do. I used to love doing nothing all day, but since I've started Parkour I hate sitting in a chair for more than a half hour straight, I gotta get up and move! I love Parkour, its the best thing that's happened to me."

True that.
Hush you.  Scare tactics are more effective.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 07:11:12 PM »
thank you for correcting my grammar, lol

"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10