Author Topic: How Old do I Have to be to Start Parkour or Freerunning?  (Read 72740 times)

WoodlandGhillie

Re: How Old do I Have to be to Start Parkour or Freerunning?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 12:22:09 PM »
Im twelve, but I can still do great. Really, there is no age limit, it's more of a maturity thing. I can easily keep up with 3 sets of 25 PushUps 5 PullUps 50 lunges, each side, 50 squats, repeated three times a day.

It really depends if your actually going to work at it, regardless of what other people think.

(I remember one time, a bunch of older guys saw me vaulting, saddle vault since that was one of the two vaults I knew when starting out. They came over, made fun of me, I later left towards a nearby creek. A few minutes later, they follow. After hiding, they found me. Again. after leaving, I noticed my watch was missing. Next time I see them, Im toatally going to backflip his face off...)

Offline Sarah A.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 05:16:35 PM »
I'm 13.

It doesn't really matter how old or young you are. I think you just need to be old enough were you have enough common sense to take Parkour slow (Like 11ish if you're a mature person) and young enough were you can still move around great (I have no idea what age that would be XD)

Entity Elite

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 05:33:46 PM »
I'm 13. It's not an issue of age. It's an issue of genetics (Yes, they matter. Your maximum potential is determend from the moment you are born). , Maturity, intellegence, open-mindness, the willingness and drive to learn. It also depends a great deal on body development. For instance, I'm 13 like I said above, and almost 6 feet tall, shave, and am ripped. I know an 11 year old 6th grader whom is taller than me. I know alot of 16-19 year old guys I am considerabley taller than.

Offline KyleWP

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »
I met a maybe 9-10 year old kid and his father the other day.

... The kid has been doing rock walls, martial arts, and gymnastics to prepare for parkour. Needless to say, I was more than a little impressed. ^_^
"A moment's insight is sometimes worth a lifetime of experience."

Offline AlexIsDesu

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Forget Gravity, Jump!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »
I stupidly Just Started a week ago, I wanted to do it at age 16, but I wasted 2 years dreaming.
God Gave you Wings, but you have to earn them.

Offline ParkourBoy217

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 08:18:21 PM »
Really there is no specific age to start at, the sooner the better. Unless your like 4.
S217s

Offline abusivechicken

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 09:40:47 AM »
i'm also 12 and is very confused about how to start Parkour and i live in Minnesota so i don't have much places to practice if you know a place were i can practice please reply to this. ??? ??? ???

Offline BrMays

• Patas
  • Unregistered Hypercam 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 04:35:09 PM »
If you live in the Twin Cities area, there's a group that meets regularly near downtown Minnesota (see the regional threads).  Chad also teaches a freerunning class in nearby Eagan, MN--which I found extremely helpful.  Personally, I've lived in remote areas for a fair amount of time.  Basically, anywhere you can find a playground, state park, safe trail or combination of those three is gonna be fair game for freerunning.  Just keep safety in mind and stay alert.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:30:50 PM by B Mayes »
Minneapolis / Western Wisconsin______
Practicing this month: Front Handspring | Kongs | One-handed Reverse

Offline kharvilak

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 04:36:07 AM »
I met a maybe 9-10 year old kid and his father the other day.

... The kid has been doing rock walls, martial arts, and gymnastics to prepare for parkour. Needless to say, I was more than a little impressed. ^_^

My son and I practice together regularly... he's 8 years old, and is starting to get pretty good for what he does.

Offline Nick Stone

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Not Quite Evil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 05:35:36 PM »
I'm 14 and I've just gotten into it. Just training so far, I live on a ranch so that's all I can do anyways...
And you can quote me on that.

Offline Travis S

• Patas
  • das flow
    • View Profile
    • UMass Parkour
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 01:54:22 PM »
Ha, asking what age you should start and end parkour is like asking a monkey at what age it wants to start and stop climbing trees. The question itself is the problem. You start parkour the second you are able to crawl, parkour really just breaks down to human movement and how far you are willing to push it. We all should influence our children to do parkour when we have them, but we should teach them how to do it without injuring themselves. Encourage movement and an open mind but teach safety and good technique. There is a video online of an 11 year old girl killin' it ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnJLGPdyt6k ). As long as we teach the young how to avoid injury, they are going to do a great job. Also, I think parkour is something that people of any age can do, there are a few clips of a 65 year old woman doing some pk in the Point B documentary ( http://pointbmovie.com/Watch.html ). So, parkour is for all ages, as long as your train safely the only limit should be how much your body can do. Parkour is for everyone.

Offline Observer13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • If You Can Not Walk, Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 01:56:28 PM »
I'm 13 and, but ive been doing Free running for a 2 years, but i keep trying to do parkour. but when i get to jump or do a flip, someone always comes and yells at me to get down. My mum thinks Im to young to do parkour. but i have no idea how old i should be
Running is not for people, It's for Physcos!

Offline rob f hawkins

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 10:03:41 AM »
you have to be old enough to walk.  pk and fr are both about interacting with your environment creatively and thinking outside the box.  i have been free running for about 10 years now i have a ten month old son and it amazes me how creative he is with everything around him.  he climbs on everything pushes small boxes to bigger boxes so he can get on them.  that is pk in its simplest form. getting from a to b. i didn't start out learning movements or tricks i just went out and started playing now i can throw back fulls off ten foot platforms with absolute confidence.  everyone is a traceur or a free runner it just a question of perception.  so in answer to the question at hand i don't think there is a set age maybe a safe age for more advanced things but as long as the right precautions are taken anyone of any age can do it.

Offline Tyler Voels

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 01:27:46 PM »
im almost 15 and i just started and i really suck but age dont matter but i think if you start young it would be more benifitial. and i dont know where to go for classes on pk any ideas????

Offline Shadow Panda

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 05:08:07 PM »
Well im 13 and I am going to start as soon as my neck is fixed. This helped alot. I thought i should start when i was 15 so i have been practicing ok. Like 15 push ups a day and about 70 crunch ups a day. And now im going to start training constintly thx guys this got me started.    8)

Offline jj pimp daddy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 12:58:55 PM »
im ten and i started at nine no age is too young

Offline mikey741

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • No Pain, No Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 07:18:35 PM »
I say personally, to start parkour in the teens. that is when the body is very durable and is able to produce more strength build up. Plus you have a lot of engery and a lot of free time. start around 8th or 9th grade. But really it doesnt matter age, it matters fitness and state of body.

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 01:56:13 PM »
i'm 14 and i have great upper body strength except today i did a cat hang on the side of a brick wall and lost my grip so i fell on my ass, it's not a fun experiance when it's concrete :P
My Youtube Channel
check it out!

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 09:09:59 PM »
Personally I find no age requirement as long as you're willing to practice. My baby sister, whom is five, started at four, trains an hour a week with me. My other sister, whom is eleven, started at ten, trains an hour to two hours a week with me, and and hour of tumbling practice with me. Both of them have been at this for maybe about four months.
My baby sister can do two pull-ups and has a three to four foot precision (what she's practiced most). This is mostly play to her but she's slowly getting it that's it's a lifestyle and a mindset. She even tries to join in my conditioning sessions.
My younger sister can cat a low wall (she hasn't gotten the guts to do it without a spotter). She can vault a low rail also. We're still working on wall-ups and other stuff. And of course she has the roll. She always joins in conditioning (just doing a lighter version of mine) She totally understands how this is a discipline while still having fun doing it.
Neither of them ever jump of something higher than three feet, and nothing higher than a foot and a half while with me. Age is never a factor. As long a competent mentor (how I've pulled that off so far no idea) is teaching and lead even little kids can learn.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline hardasult

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 06:47:44 AM »
I am goinh to start soon, i'm twelve but i'm fit and so i'm at a good time before my bones get stiff and easier to break.  I'm small for my age, ut i've done gymnastics for 5 years so i'm use to pain