Author Topic: Premium memberships And Paypal Donations  (Read 18961 times)

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
Re: Premium memberships And Paypal Donations
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 06:24:39 AM »
I don't like the exclusive forum access though.  I think everyone should have access to all of the forum, regardless of skill, experience, or (especially) payment. 

When we were first talking about this, before the thread was posted, that was something a lot of people brought up and agreed with.

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 01:40:37 PM »
Wow I fail.  I thought it was pretty cool because that forum was strict on rules and it was a rules free board.  From what I heard, it was spam central.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Spark710

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 05:41:27 PM »
When I started writing my post yours wasn't on the board, so nothing personal.   :)
What is fitness without finesse?
What is power without precision?

99% right is still 100% wrong.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 07:12:13 PM »
Wow I fail.  I thought it was pretty cool because that forum was strict on rules and it was a rules free board.  From what I heard, it was spam central.

Are you talking about the Something Awful boards?

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 12:25:36 PM »

Are you talking about the Something Awful boards?
No but that site looks... interesting.  I'm talking about the Darkdemon boards.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 01:31:34 PM »
Heh. An exclusive board? What would it offer that the rest of the forum wouldn't? "Where Jerks and Trolls Can Argue Politics and Religion?"

Drawings or contests is a good idea. Maybe exclusive invites to training events, or offers of early pre-registration before an event goes public if spots will be limited.
Queen of Puns

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
Heh. An exclusive board? What would it offer that the rest of the forum wouldn't? "Where Jerks and Trolls Can Argue Politics and Religion?"
Basically.  That idea wouldn't really work too good on this forum because there are barely any rules.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 05:40:23 PM »
IDEA: Can sign up for text messaging service via clickatell.com or a similar company. Send members the WOD, announcements, etc.

Except I've seen some people like Laurie post using their cell phones so I imagine they can browse all these things too. Just an idea but I think it might be pretty cool.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Aaron Ream

• Patas
  • "Kansas"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 10:17:22 AM »
Except I've seen some people like Laurie post using their cell phones so I imagine they can browse all these things too. Just an idea but I think it might be pretty cool.

Which is why having internet on your phone rocks.

But I'm all for no ads, I think a physical news letter that you recieve in the mail would be niffty, the birthday card sounds amazing, drawings for items in the store, maybe a membership discount from the store?
I'll never look back
Ive got No Regrets
Cause time doesn't wait for me
I Choose to go my own way

Offline misstanyamae

• Patas
  • I am come from a battle of Deeds Not Words.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »
I think this is a great idea. APK has helped me, and Madpk, SO much, I have often wondered how to give back. The Madison Jam literally could not have happened without APK's help.

So, with the PayPal donations button, are you abandoning the idea of a Premium Membership? Or are both options still available?

Here are my suggestions for what a premium membership could include. Feel free to add/delete/modify/laugh:

0. no ads

1. subscription to the newsletter (at no charge; included in cost of membership)

2. entry into a yearly drawing for APK merchandise (you draw, say, 5 winners, or maybe a number of winners equal to some percentage of the total premium membership--winners get one of the following items: water bottle, t-shirt, hoodie, etc. Just one prize per winner)

3. a birthday card (sent via actual snail-mail), signed by the Tribe, on their birthday (kind of cheesy, but I'd dig it. Plus you could make blank parkour themed notecards for sale, and use those to send to people as well. Of course, it would require someone to manage the sending out of cards, but much of this can be automated and all it would take would be for someone to ensure that the cards got signed and mailed out)

4. Perhaps if, in the future, APK did "big ticket" type contests where someone could win something like a free weekend of training with a Tribe member, or at Primal; Premium Members could be automatically entered into the drawing without having to actually go and fill out an entry. If they decided to fill out an entry form, that entry would stack on top of their automatic one.

5. Access to certain aspects of the forum, although at this point I'm not sure what those would be.

I dunno. These are just my thoughts.  :) I hope they're helpful!
I have to jump on the birthday card boat. That's the most adorable idea ever. I want one!

The first thing I thought when I saw 5 was "sexy parkour," then "naked parkour." Then I remember that I'm incredibly immature. But I don't think an exclusive part of the forum would be very useful or really very interesting over all.

Drawings or contests is a good idea. Maybe exclusive invites to training events, or offers of early pre-registration before an event goes public if spots will be limited.
I agree with LJ... unless it's sexy parkour. Then I'm all for it.
bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohooh

-James Joyce

her wounds     came     from the same source as her power
-Adrienne Rich

Offline Jason Pollard

• Patas
  • Aphoticlight
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 08:00:15 PM »
I think this is a great idea. APK has helped me, and Madpk, SO much, I have often wondered how to give back. The Madison Jam literally could not have happened without APK's help.

So, with the PayPal donations button, are you abandoning the idea of a Premium Membership? Or are both options still available?

Here are my suggestions for what a premium membership could include. Feel free to add/delete/modify/laugh:

0. no ads

1. subscription to the newsletter (at no charge; included in cost of membership)

2. entry into a yearly drawing for APK merchandise (you draw, say, 5 winners, or maybe a number of winners equal to some percentage of the total premium membership--winners get one of the following items: water bottle, t-shirt, hoodie, etc. Just one prize per winner)

3. a birthday card (sent via actual snail-mail), signed by the Tribe, on their birthday (kind of cheesy, but I'd dig it. Plus you could make blank parkour themed notecards for sale, and use those to send to people as well. Of course, it would require someone to manage the sending out of cards, but much of this can be automated and all it would take would be for someone to ensure that the cards got signed and mailed out)

4. Perhaps if, in the future, APK did "big ticket" type contests where someone could win something like a free weekend of training with a Tribe member, or at Primal; Premium Members could be automatically entered into the drawing without having to actually go and fill out an entry. If they decided to fill out an entry form, that entry would stack on top of their automatic one.

5. Access to certain aspects of the forum, although at this point I'm not sure what those would be.

I dunno. These are just my thoughts.  :) I hope they're helpful!
Man these are all great ideas other then 5 lol i agree with Spark710 on that one  ;)

i would love the bday card

IDEA: Can sign up for text messaging service via clickatell.com or a similar company. Send members the WOD, announcements, etc.

this would be awsome lol

the only thing i can think of is that we could get sneak peaks of new merchindise or stuff like that?? idk if thats a good idea or not??lol

"Run Free Live Free and Think Free"

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 10:03:56 PM »
The first thing I thought when I saw 5 was "sexy parkour," then "naked parkour." Then I remember that I'm incredibly immature. But I don't think an exclusive part of the forum would be very useful or really very interesting over all.

Have your people call my people.

Offline Brian Rowe

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 11:15:16 PM »
- Exclusive contests/drawings
- Store discount, or subscriber-only sales
- Blogs from APK Alliance members to read
- Traceur of the Month, spotlighting suscribers
- Include a freebie, like an APK patch or some stickers

- The main thing that I would be willing to pay for is more content in general. Look at the Features section. The last update was in August, and before that, May. I would like to see more content in general, which could include product reviews, more tutorials, location-specific videos, or even some general entertainment articles. Most of the front-page articles are announcements of coverage provided by other sites, which is strange to me since APK is in the perfect position to be at the forefront of creating that coverage.

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 03:22:47 AM »
so what is the consensus?
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌ยง▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 08:49:11 AM »
The main thing that I would be willing to pay for is more content in general. Look at the Features section. The last update was in August, and before that, May. I would like to see more content in general, which could include product reviews, more tutorials, location-specific videos, or even some general entertainment articles. Most of the front-page articles are announcements of coverage provided by other sites, which is strange to me since APK is in the perfect position to be at the forefront of creating that coverage.[b/]

I agree (and I post most of the front page news). There are around 20 Tribe/Alliance people. There are 57,000 registered users on this site. We produce as much original and helpful content as we can, such as the current Video Article project (Adrian's and Travis's have gone live so far. One more every week for a month or so!). But we also all have other roles and responsibilities for APK, as well as outside lives. We're always estatic to post content made by the community, there just isn't that many people creating content!

If anyone ever wants to write an article, film a video (showreel style or educational), do a product review, or create any other kind of content... email me (zac@americanparkour.com) and let me know. I can help you organize it, or if you don't need any help, I can post it for you!

Offline Cord Zwirner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 03:05:58 PM »

Have your people call my people.

Lol!
brushing your teeth helps you lose weight?

hmmm....

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »
So I'm curious what ever happened to this idea is there a premium membership or do you just choose to donate?

Offline haplopelma

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 12:05:40 AM »
How about an in-depth video tutorial of 1 move a month
for premium members?
Some men can't be bought, bargained, or reasoned with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn.
-paraphrased from Batman Begins-

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2011, 09:17:44 PM »
How about an in-depth video tutorial of 1 move a month
for premium members?

IMO, if APK is making well thought-out and in-depth tutorials, they should be available to the public. There's no point in hiding information that's already out there just to try to attract money for premium membership.

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2011, 07:34:57 AM »
IMO, if APK is making well thought-out and in-depth tutorials, they should be available to the public. There's no point in hiding information that's already out there just to try to attract money for premium membership.

Knowing Mark, this would never happen.
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!