Author Topic: College Parkour Flyer (new version)  (Read 8495 times)

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Re: College Parkour Flyer
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 11:14:06 AM »
Here is the new version:

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: College Parkour Flyer (new version)
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 11:40:01 AM »
"Local CU practioners"

Hope you didnt print off too many  ;) otherwise looks good demon!

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 11:53:35 AM »
haha nice catch skip, thanks.

edit: just got it fixed on my computer.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 12:02:53 PM by Demon »

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 01:19:23 PM »
Looks great demon.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 08:40:11 PM »
We actually just had some flyer contestest here on our site...although some of them have blaten misspelling and grammer mistakes.

Before I get FLAMMED.  There are things on here that are trying to get peoples attention so we did use some techniques that have nothing to do with actual parkour.  We even stole the most basic parkour gif.  Could you guys tell me which one looks the best.

Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2006, 08:56:43 PM »
Well, they all look kinda busy, I guess the second one looks the best though.

Theres also a difference between dumbing down the definition and turning it into something bad. I know you put those phrases like "skateboarding meets gymnastics" and "wanna learn all those jackie chan moves" to attract attention, but thats the type of thing that actually stick in people's heads and gives them their very first impression of parkour. Also, you didnt even mention free running, but did nothing but describe it. I see one phrase that will be good describe parkour, but the rest is all that stuff that will place parkour in that stereotype that we have been trying soooooo damn hard to get away from.

Again, i know this is to attract people, but its incorrect information and false advertising, let alone its potentially harmful to parkour itself. Sorry to criticize, but we try and try to condition everyone to use toned down definitions instead of comming up with the first thing they think of like comparisons to skateboarding.

I could post a flier of a naked women and say come to my tea party.... there will be 2 outcomes if i just wanted to have a get together to drink tea. 1)they will get mad when they find out there are no naked girls, and 2) The quality of people will that show up will be directly proportionate to the message sent on the flier... they will be scum. likewise, itll be nothing but skaters and risk takers showing up for your group and itll be nothing but injuries and securing a bad reputation for parkour in the area.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 06:09:54 AM »
Hey, MLW:

I"m going to cast my vote for the 3rd flyer, but not as-is. The 1st or top two are just WAY too busy and don't look professional. They remind me of old high school zines. hehe

The 3rd could use work, though.

I am confused as to what I (the viewer) need to be looking at in it. This is in part b/c the contrast of the black on white of the top and bottom silhouettes is fighting neck-and-neck with the amount of information that is in the central picture. It's like, I WANT to look at the middle picture mainly, but a) other elements vie for my attn too much, and b) the picture itself could use some work, as well. Like, if that giant black mass of a tree on the left side of the image was just GONE, that would probably go a long way towards improving the design here. That tree, the guy in the picture, and the elements on the top and bottom are all like on the same level, visually. You don't want ppl thinking Parkour is all a/b a big ass tree do you? hehe. Also, why did that guy's feet get cropped in the pic? Isn't that like one of the coolest parts of the picture: his feet sky-bound?

Overall, think a/b what the visual heirarchy is. What do you want the viewer to see first, 2nd, 3rd, etc?

Why do the legs of the top silhouette extend below the black band but the arm of the bottom silhouette not go above that black band?

Perhaps more information concerning what Parkour is could be added, too? Like I'm one to talk, in that all the flyer I put up says is "What is Parkour?", BUT that's with the intention to get the viewer to repeat that in their head and ideally it would suggest to them to find out a little more. On yours, perhaps a really cool, sleek one-sentence quote or description of Parkour or a basic tenet or something.... Otherwise I'm afraid that a viewer would see that and not know how it applies to them. Oh, also maybe a simpler URL or contact? Who is going to write all that down or remember it when they see if out in public?

I like the simplicity of this one. I am always one for clean, strong design. I think that what you have in that one is a good start, too. A little more work could make it a bit more effective, is all.

Hope this helps you, man!

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2006, 09:37:54 AM »
Yea..I knew this was coming but oh well.  I personaly did not make these.  It was just some in the clan that doesnt show up very often.  I actually dont like the 3rd one but the other two...cluttered as they are is kinda what I wanted to represent.  It is CRAZY and in your face.  I personly think that when they see the flyer they are going to be like...WHAT THE HECK?  What are all these pictures...and then stop and look for a bit to figure it out.  I guess the argument could be said that if its to cluttered they are just going to be confused and move on.

I personally like the top one the most because it is cluttered but not too cluttered.  I have used these phrases many times to attract people to parkour.  I used phrases that best fit their lifestyle, weather I am recruiting a skateboarder or a martial arts guy.  We have meeting within our group almost every jam when we sit down and talk about parkour/dicipline/art.  We never leave these people with a sense of not know exactly what it is.  I have even almost scared some people off with the true explination of parkour.  You start going off on this philosophy and people they have never heard of and then they are just like "that seems to complicated."

So in conclusion anyone who takes the extra step to ripping off a little taggy thing gets the ear full.  Man it doesnt matter what I do...I always get flammed for some of the same stuff other people pulled here in the forums and they dont get flamed...I guess there is a move to strike on me. LOL
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 09:41:34 AM by Matthew Lee Willis »

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2006, 11:03:06 AM »
MLW:

I wasn't trying to flame you at all, man, just for the record. :) Since you didn't design those flyers, pass on my input to the guy who did, I suppose. Or touch them up yourself, I dunno.

I would definitely say that the 1st 2 are not "in your face" at all. They really are just jumbled messes, man. I'm not trying to be a jerkface or to flame, I mean it. I just can't see either of the 1st two representing your group or Parkour well. As that I see everyone involved in Parkour as a sort of family of mine, I want to look after you guys n gals. Helping to ensure that your group isn't portrayed poorly through shoddy design is something I can contribute to.

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2006, 11:13:27 AM »
Matthew, youre not getting flamed for stuff that other people do and not get flamed for. If anyone were to come on here and say that parkour is skateboarding meets gymnastics, we will assume he is new and tell him otherwise. You however have been here for a long time and should know better. Even though you may not have made these yourself, if you care about parkour AT ALL, you would have told the people on your site to try and spruce up the message to where its not harmful to pk.

Every time you come out with something contraversial, you try and pass it off as people just attacking you and claim that other people do the same with not punishment. the truth is, the only other people who do this are new people, who deserve some slack. Please please please, show me that youve learned something. I commented on the designs but i will not advise those messages in the fliers. Please ask the creator to change it.

thanks

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2006, 10:32:21 AM »
k thanks guys.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 12:37:50 PM »
oh man guys...my computer crashed...my bad...DUDE.  I so was doing this as a joke.  I was going to come tell you guys...thus the like 10 days later telling you guys it was a joke.  this makes me look like  a frekin idiot.  LOL oh well.  Uh..April Fools??

Those are the worst flyers ever.  Although the third one was real...I still didnt make that one though.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 11:46:47 PM »
If you have started a PK club or would like to, please visit this thread: http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/topic,5833.0/