Author Topic: Writing a book on parkour/free running  (Read 2532 times)

Offline fighterdude0

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Writing a book on parkour/free running
« on: August 26, 2007, 06:04:47 PM »
Hello every one!

I have recently become inspired to write a book on free running and parkour!  I believe none exist?  I know that my knowledge of these fine arts are fairly limited, but I hope to over come that with thorough research.

What I would like to cover is

What is free running?
What is parkour?
History?
David Belle, and Sebastian Foucan
Then I would like to add in some tutorials on how to do basic moves
I would also like to include an area on conditioning, and strengthening exercises.

I think that I may have a way of being able to interview Mr. Foucan himself!

Hopefully the book would contain some nice pictures of people doing the art as well!

Any ways just thought I would let every one
know!  What are your guys thoughts?

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Re: Writing a book on parkour/free running
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 06:21:20 PM »
Cheetaur and Animus Light have been working on something for a while now. Not sure what the current status is though.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 06:37:16 PM »
I wish you luck ... the history of many events seems to have become very distorted by arguments and personal agendas. I suggest that if you want to do this, you speak with David Belle, Sebastien, and theYamakasi and forget what anybody else has to say :)
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline fighterdude0

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 06:47:54 PM »
thanks for the support!  It would be sort of neet to include each sides of the story, and let the reader decide what happened.  I know they don't do the art together any more,but do they still talk?  Sorry if this has been asked before  :-[

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:32:11 PM »
To the best of my knowledge they are not friendly anymore.
Be Useful.

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 08:27:33 AM »
hey, yes, me and animus were writing a book.  We queried 9 agents, and got 4 replies.  of those 4, 2 showed a serious interest.  Both were very well known and established agents.  Both responded the same, that they felt that it was too early for a book for these reasons:

Still not well known
Those interested in the book would be males 16-30ish, which is NOT a book buying demographic
Therefore we would have to write on the culture and focus on what parkour is to expand the demographic, however the interest in this topic would make this book a gift book for that male demographic.  Therefore its still way to early.

Both kept an open door saying that if the discipline continued to grow, contact them again.  Also, As i am getting my doctor degree, If we were to include a health section, it wolud be best to wait until i have my degree (1 more year).  Much of the book is writen already, however I we do plan on re-evaluating at the end of the next year.  Also, As neither of us are especially well recognized in the parkour community, some question to our authority is out there as well.

Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 08:56:13 AM »
Cheetaur's pretty much covered it.  At this point in time, it doesn't appear to be commerciable, but we've agreed to carry through with it when the time is appropriate, which is still likely in years to come.  The increase in media exposure is a good thing for it, but even though we see it as an explosion of Parkour in the media, the public at large just barely notices us as a blip on their radar.  Give it time.

As for you, I wish you the best of luck.  But do a LOT of research before you even attempt this.  And try to become a contributor to the community as best you can.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline fighterdude0

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 11:44:24 AM »
thanks for the replies.

Now does your book look like it is different from mine is going to be?  I don't want to write a duplicate or anything!

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:38:51 PM »
I'd have to sday at this point it would be hard to have two books about parkour that were more than 20 pages each that didn't overlap by at least 80% :)
Be Useful.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 03:18:45 PM »
I agree with M2.
But also. don't give up.
Learn as much as you can. and do as much as you can.
So that you can get the mindset of parkour and free/running.
This would help explain your views and help with your tutorials.
I suggest that you have a section consisting of:
Diet.
Upper and lower body conditioning.
As well as ways to get flexible.
And over come your fears.
Make it easy to follow, and get steadily harder. this proves the persons dedication to themselves when they try out some of the things in your book.

It IS too early for a Parkour/Free-running book. But if we can get the media involved, and help out with not just the parkour community but the areas surrounding where we live. We can get people interested enough to check it out.

For instance: Anyone talking trash about your parkour, Invite them to come try. Don't be an @ss, lol.
Back on topic.
I think you'll really need to gather alot of info on parkour and free running.
Get testimonials from Traceurs.
And definitly try to get ahold of David Belle, and Sebastien Foucan.
Maybe put a little bio of them both in your book, with their permission of course.
And just work your @ss off man.

You too Cheetaur, and Animus Light.
Get this together, if we have say two books come out about Parkour/Free-running, it will make people think twice about it :)
Work together guys, so that your books aren't TOO similar.

Peace Brothas
-Matt

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 03:33:54 PM »
we already have done some research, including an exclusive interview with sebastien :), we were working on contacting david belle, and only got in contact with his brother, i don't know the current status of that right now.  But yes, we did do our job with contacting people including M2 and being ignored my ez :) but right now, we've decided to wait.
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 09:38:35 AM »
we already have done some research, including an exclusive interview with sebastien :), we were working on contacting david belle, and only got in contact with his brother, i don't know the current status of that right now.  But yes, we did do our job with contacting people including M2 and being ignored my ez :) but right now, we've decided to wait.

David hasn't contacted me and I don't think he will, since he hates media.  I won't press the issue any further unless he gets to know me first, which is rather unlikely.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 01:42:45 PM »
Your not exactly media you know.
You could say hey, I'm trying to gain awareness in the USA for Parkour, cause it's not so popular here with the officials and parents.
Would you please do a quick interview for my book

Ya' know something like that, along those lines.