Author Topic: Organized Parkour  (Read 2438 times)

Offline kwazi

• Patas
  • "Now its a monkey car"
    • View Profile
Organized Parkour
« on: May 11, 2007, 05:59:18 PM »
I don't know, but it seems like high schools are less tolerant than universities. I faced administrative issues with a parkour club at my high school (liability), and while we decided to continue anyway, we still must be discreet, as the security guards are always quick to hand down punishments. As repeat offenders, we have to be careful, since none of us can afford the "third-strike" suspension.

Anybody have any ideas on how to strum up official support for parkour, so we don't have to run all the time?
I am the young man, full of strength and hope,
Tangled in that ancient endless chain
Of profit, power, gain, of grab the land!
Of grab the gold! Of grab the ways of satisfying need!
Of work the men! Of take the pay!
Of owning everything for one's own greed!

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: Organized Parkour
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 06:05:32 PM »
Have you checked out all the info in the universities section of the forum? I know it is a different situation, but I would think that many of the same principals apply.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline kwazi

• Patas
  • "Now its a monkey car"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 06:36:35 PM »
Thanks. I've skimmed through it, but i got a message saying it hadn't been updated in over 120 days, so i figured i wouldn't get a response. Not to be obnoxious or anything.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 06:42:38 PM »
If they aren't allowing parkour and you guys are getting in trouble for it, stop doing it during/at school. Don't defy the school officials, it's not worth it. You can do parkour at other times and not risk putting it in a bad light and getting in trouble.

Offline kwazi

• Patas
  • "Now its a monkey car"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 06:23:13 PM »
I suppose you're right. I never thought of the fact that we'd be sullying parkour's reputation by defying officials.

Offline Donotfeedthemax

• Patas
  • It's Max.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 05:10:27 PM »
"Sullying parkour's reputation". Nice big words.
But really, chances are that if the official people are ticked off, it's probably because you're doing big jumps/climbing stuff that's high. I've gotten that from my teachers, too. Quit climbing over the fences, that's what the gates are for! Get down from there! is a common one, but you shouldn't get anygry at these people, 'cause they think it's dangerous, they just don't understand that a drop of seven or eight feet isn't that far. Of course, if you're jumping from the roof or the top of the bleachers at school, then that's probably something you should do somewhere else, 'cause if you get hurt then the school is legally responsible and has to pay your medical bill and risk a lawsuit.

If you just go over to whereever the track team practices, they've got long jump, hurtles, etc, which are all "safe" from getting in trouble on because the track team is allowed to do them. Maybe you should join track? That's probably good for jumping and stuff as well as getting stronger from all that running.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:01:32 PM »
Speaking as a high school teacher, your best bet is to train away from school for a sufficient amount of time until you are relatively competent in your training and skills; and I'm talking about the fundamentals here: rolls, landings, stamina, etc; NOT big drops, flips, et al. Also, in the meantime you should do your homework and present a solid case to your administration before affiliating your club with your school:

1. Find out what the school and district policies are for starting new clubs. Be sure that your intended parkour club is in line with these policies.

2. Find out what the school and district policies are for intramural sports. My guess is that for most school districts, a parkour club would fall under this category since it is more physically active than, say, the French Club (unless you're one of my students. :P) , but is not covered under your district's athletic conference (like basketball or football would be). Be sure your intended parkour club is in line with these policies.

3. You will likely need to have an advisor. Talk to some teachers who you think would be open-minded to it and ask them if they would be interested in being the club advisor. He or she will be able to help you navigate the bureaucracy of starting a new club.

4. Be prepared to address your administration's concerns regarding injury liability and potential lawsuit. Most schools should have this sort of thing covered under the insurance policy they use for athletics and other extracurriculars, but they will likely be wary since parkour is an unknown for them. You have to be prepared to make a case that parkour is a safe athletic activity and that you and your club have mechanisms in place to ensure that the members will be responsible while on school grounds. Your teacher advisor should be able to help with this. It may be helpful to study the ins and outs of your school's insurance policies and liabilities to be prepared to address any concerns.

5. Be aware that you may have to go before the school board to propose your club. It depends on your school district's policies. Be respectful and professional in your presentation. Wear a tie if you have to. Make it clear that you are serious and that you are a responsible young adult. It will go a long way.

Until you have approval from the powers that be to go ahead with your club, do NOT practice on school grounds. This is a case where you have to prove to them that you are a responsible person before they will give you an inch. Sneaking around on your school's security staff will only hurt your case.

Lastly, some general advice: I have found that it's easier to get approval for something when you have the whole thing pretty much already planned out. It makes it easier for your administration to visualize what you have in mind and it can lay to rest a lot of their fears. So get together with your friends and imagine you already have approval to go ahead with the club. Draft this up in a proposal, with specifics: how often will you meet? Who is the advisor? What will the club do? How will you ensure that people train safely? What evidence is there that parkour is beneficial to young adults? (Here you can use all the evidence about how kids need to be more active, and also about how physical activity is a positive component to learning and development). Think of all the questions they might ask you, marshal effective responses, and present your case with thoughtful and respectful points.

I hope it works out for you. :)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 09:47:24 PM »
nice post Muse,

great advice!

+1 for you!!!
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...

Offline kwazi

• Patas
  • "Now its a monkey car"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 03:51:21 PM »
yeah, thanks!

Moa

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 03:09:54 PM »
Edit: Muse covered it all.

Muse are you actually a high school teacher. That is sick you should show your classes parkour(if you haven't).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 03:14:09 PM by Moa »

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 07:58:55 PM »
lol yes I am, Moa. :)

I have introduced my students to parkour (I am a French teacher so it fits in perfectly) by talking about it and teaching some vocabulary in conjunction with our body parts vocabulary unit, and by showing some youtube videos of David Belle in class (like the French news clip about the Yamakasi from TF1). I also have a David Belle wallpaper on my computer in my classroom. This month in French Club we are going to watch Banlieue 13. I'm hoping to work more parkour into the curriculum and/or French club activities, but since I only just started parkour two weeks ago, I can only incorporate so much at this point. :) I am very big on emphasizing safety and proper training though, so if my students want to do it they don't do anything dumb. ;)

I'm glad my advice was helpful, kwazi. Let us know what happens! (And thank you for the +1, Jason!)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Casper

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 08:29:48 PM »
Glad to have you with us, Muse! You've been a great source of info, thanks for your contributions.
Stairs are for Squares.

You can hide, but you can't run!

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 10:52:22 PM »
If you are reading this thread, and have written up a proposal to start up a parkour club in your school, please share it for future parkour development. Also, if you have written up any good suggestions like the ones found above by Muse, include it. This will be a great source of information for future users if everyone contributes, and it will help to promote the spread and acceptance of parkour as a legitimate athletic activity. I hope you can contribute to this worthy cause. Here is the link to Club Proposal repository: http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/topic,5833.0/