Author Topic: College Parkour Flyer (new version)  (Read 8512 times)

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
College Parkour Flyer (new version)
« on: February 04, 2006, 03:13:30 PM »
I am really stepping up introducing parkour to the Uni of CO at Boulder this semester. One of the things I am doing is posting this flyer around campus. Basically this flyer is being used for 2 things:

1.) generate new interest and get people to meet us and try parkour.
2.) advertise our abilities to students in journalism, film studies, integrative physiology, art, and more, who are looking for unusual and creative ideas for class projects. We have already filmed a video action sequence with some broadcast news journalism students and gotten interest from a photography student who runs www.dailysnap.com. College people are always looking for cool projects like these so chances are pretty good that anyone who tries a flyer like this will have some success.

I will be posting these flyers around the rec center, appropriate academic buildings, and maybe more. I would recommend other college students do this at their school, and maybe even colleges you don't even go to. If anyone would like a similar flyer customized for a different school, i could probably do that.

oh yeah...heres a pic of the flyer:

note: i know the wallspin pic isnt parkour. the pics are only there to catch people's attention. :P
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 11:14:48 AM by Demon »

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: College Parkour Flyer
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 03:17:09 PM »
excellent brocure!! If i didn't know what parkour was i'd definatly find out from that flyer!! good job it looks very professional in my opinion.
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 03:46:55 PM »
heh thanks. it looks professional because i rule....

..actually my mom is a desktop publisher/editor so she threw something together for me pretty fast and it turned out very good. All credit goes to her.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 03:48:48 PM by Demon »

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 03:49:54 PM »
NIce flyer, I may be intrested in that custom flyer thing, at least for my school, and maybe ACROSS NYC!! MWHAAHA, if i use them for school i would probally use it for Parkour club(i don't know why but that sounds cheesey to me) since i will try to start one in my school.

Great post, and i bet it will be ggreat for parkour in general (+1 karma) or maybee i should give it to your mom since she made it. lol

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 04:46:24 PM »
Cool man, way to represent! I hope you pull in some new interested people!

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 04:55:28 PM »
Its very nice flyer though I very much dissagree with calling parkour the art of movement. It makes no sense and causes misunderstandings of the art, parkour is an art of movement but it clearly not an art that encompasses all possible movements. Le Arte Du Deplacement should not be translated as the art of movement, call it the art of displacement or an art of movement.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 06:08:03 PM »
youre right. i was going for a very simplified description that would hopefully give the average "passer byer" a very basic idea of what parkour is like. people will be going past these flyers, usually on their way for something important, so its probably not a good idea to write anything in depth or complicated. but im open to suggestions/improvements.

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 07:20:10 PM »
That is a pretty sweet flyer, if we can get a club going down here at our high school then it would be awesome if you (or your mom) could help us out with customizing that. Nice job ;)
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 08:48:07 PM »
Demon, you have solved a problem that has been nagging at me for a long time. I've always wanted to make flyers for Parkour, but from being in a band, I know that 9 of 10 hand-out flyers end up trash, or even worse, littering the environment that I respect, and that provides me with such wonderful opportunities for movement.

I've never though of the tear flyer, which can be posted on a bulletin board, and only interested people will take the contact information.

+Applaud, Demon.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 12:52:24 AM »
i made a very similar one. i had a much shorter message so people dont have to spend a lot of time reading it, but same principle. i just got approved for a pk club on campus. but nice demonzorz!

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 09:45:24 AM »
Skipper, post yours please.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 10:53:47 AM »

Short message, very vague, and short enough to catch an eye or two while people walk by it. (I also figured Id teach aspects of free-running for those interested. this is really just my scheme to get some people on campus to train with, lol)

EDIT: i also realize that parkour is not the art of movment, but it could be a movement art. again, for eye catching purposes.

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 11:12:05 AM »
I just run around campus til I grab someones attention and they ask about it :p
I keed, I had made a flyer but don't have it anymore, your guys' are better though!

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 01:22:16 PM »
I would just call it the an art of movement. Doesn't change the look of it to much but is much less misleading.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 08:56:37 PM »
I did call it the art of movement. whats misleading?

misleading to people who already know what parkour is? or to the people who see it and think "ohh parkour is the art of movement and that will be engraved in my mind forever"?

Sorry if i missed something, what should i change?

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »
I wasn't replying to you Skipper I was replying to Demon. Your flyer is pretty straight forward, but like I have said before, the art of movement is a poor description of parkour. I think it is misleading. Calling it the art of movement implies that all movement is legitimately apart of the art no matter the intent or function which is simply not true of parkour.

I wouldn't use the art of movement or free running to describe parkour. Parkour is an art of movement its not they are of movement.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2006, 10:12:54 PM »
Oh ok, gotcha.
Yeah i said it too, the art of movement isnt exactly correct. And i also said I decided to add free running to it because i wouldnt mind teaching some agile students aspects of the physical movements if they arent interested in learning about the mindset. Im not gonna hold it against an entire campus (nor anyone i meet) that they want to do free running instead of parkour. Either way, I will teach them the differences when they decide to show up  ;)

thanks!

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2006, 10:29:48 PM »
Yeah for sure, I have no problems jamming with people who are just interested in moving too. Free runners, trickers, builderers its all good as long as people are respectfull good people.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 07:16:04 AM »
That's cool to know I'm not the only one doing this. Here's my contribution. :D
This is the 1st in a series of flyers. The first set of which is to just get people to see the word "Parkour" first off. Perhaps generate some questions to that email acct. Next our weekly jam times and places are going to be advertised, hopefully to get a few ppl just out there. Wish the "campaign" luck!

(hope the image isn't too big for anyone)

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 07:50:57 AM »
Awesome attention grabbing flyer, ohfomehxr!