Author Topic: READ BEFORE CREATING NEW TOPICS  (Read 14090 times)

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
READ BEFORE CREATING NEW TOPICS
« on: December 20, 2007, 06:01:40 PM »
Whenever you have an injury and you're about to post up please do a few things in your post:

1. Note what you were doing when it occured.

2. Note whether it's acute or chronic -- pretty much just appeared or whether you've had problems with it before (or any past injuries to the area).

3. Note what other exercises or movements hurt it especially with the shoulder and hip joint because they are complex.

4. Note WHERE exactly the injury is. "Elbow" or "knee" is too vague. If you have to look up where exactly then type in the body part and physiology and search in google and then go to images. For example, type "elbow physiology" and then click on "images" and it will pull up pictures for you. Usually elbows injuries are at the medial epicondyle but there's other variations so be specific.

5. STAY OFF ANYTHING THAT CAUSES PAIN. Pain = your body telling you that someone is wrong. So what if you miss a couple workouts or a jam. You could be injuring yourself permanently to where you could never do those things again or it may take months or years to heal if you just push through. Better say than sorry ALWAYS. One workout or jam isn't a difference of life and death.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 10:03:55 AM by Steve Low »
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: READ BEFORE CREATING NEW TOPICS
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 06:17:02 PM »
And don't forget this:

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU USE THIS FORUM IN LIEU OF A DOCTOR.
WWW.AMERICANPARKOUR.COM DOES NOT OFFER OFFICIAL MEDICAL ADVICE.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 08:19:04 PM »
And don't forget this:

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU USE THIS FORUM IN LIEU OF A DOCTOR.
WWW.AMERICANPARKOUR.COM DOES NOT OFFER OFFICIAL MEDICAL ADVICE.

SECONDED!

Offline patattack

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:07:03 PM »
ya man if your back hurts don't do ANYTHING physical that would further aggravate the pain or your back. You might end up like me i have a bulging disk in my back that will never go away.

Dave G

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 01:28:37 PM »
ya man if your back hurts don't do ANYTHING physical that would further aggravate the pain or your back. You might end up like me i have a bulging disk in my back that will never go away.

awww, that sucks Pat =( you are still a badass.

Offline scrapthepogsq

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Steve-O
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »
Here's a great website I found a while back when I was VERY sick and wanted to figure out what I could have contracted before going to a doctor to make sure we'd both cover the right symptoms and consider the same diagnosis'. It's free, you don't have to sign up, you just go to the page and click Start and you choose from a specific interactive list of body parts and symptoms, and it'll come up with a large list of possibilities. They've started to advertise the free service on TV as well, so you might have heard of this:

http://www.webmd.com/

Thought self-diagnosis is often not the most reliable thing, it can sure be helpful when you need to look into an injury or any symptoms more. I don't trust doctors completely because there's a lot that have been known to overlook symptoms and not give you a good enough or right treatment, so I figure you could have this at your disposal to seriously contemplate any situations and if you have an injury bad enough requiring a doctor's visit, be able to discuss with them the diagnosis and treatment, rather than just saying "I fell and now I've got pain." Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!
~Steve

Offline Kendy

• I Violate Your Mind
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The Parkour Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:14:59 PM »
Here's a great website I found a while back when I was VERY sick and wanted to figure out what I could have contracted before going to a doctor to make sure we'd both cover the right symptoms and consider the same diagnosis'. It's free, you don't have to sign up, you just go to the page and click Start and you choose from a specific interactive list of body parts and symptoms, and it'll come up with a large list of possibilities. They've started to advertise the free service on TV as well, so you might have heard of this:

http://www.webmd.com/

Thought self-diagnosis is often not the most reliable thing, it can sure be helpful when you need to look into an injury or any symptoms more. I don't trust doctors completely because there's a lot that have been known to overlook symptoms and not give you a good enough or right treatment, so I figure you could have this at your disposal to seriously contemplate any situations and if you have an injury bad enough requiring a doctor's visit, be able to discuss with them the diagnosis and treatment, rather than just saying "I fell and now I've got pain." Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

While WebMD may have a symptom guide, it isn't a substitute for a doctor.  WebMD can induce hypocondria and almost always tells you to seek medical attention.  I don't care who made the site, but I don't take advice from anyone/thing that doesnt have several liscences and diplomas up on the wall.  If it hurts, or snap/crackle/pops, go see a doctor; it could be nothing, but better safe than sorry.
.:Don't think about it. Just do it:.
[ My Facebook ]
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke