Author Topic: For those of you that still drink soft drinks....  (Read 14444 times)

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Bear hunter-3rd in command
    • View Profile
Re: For those of you that still drink soft drinks....
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 03:21:39 PM »
"Did you know that *cough cough if you leave a nail in coke for *cough 4 days it will disappear? *cough thats why I don't drink coke *cough cough I drink death drinks.

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 03:14:34 AM »
im definetly gonna try to stop drinking soda now. i  like water so i guess thats good  :P
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 10:28:08 AM »
"Did you know that *cough cough if you leave a nail in coke for *cough 4 days it will disappear? *cough thats why I don't drink coke *cough cough I drink death drinks.

That's incorrect. But biodegradable stuff like apples will dissolve extensively.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 02:01:10 PM »
Thanks to "StumbleUpon," I found the following site.

I'm not really sure I agree with all of their choices as really being any healthier, but any of these could be a good intermediate step for those of you who are still having a hard time kicking the soda habit:

Soda Alternatives
Queen of Puns

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 10:11:40 PM »
Kombucha ftw!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift"
- The Prefontaine

Offline ursasmaller

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 08:01:48 AM »
I kicked the soda habit by giving my water a good squirt of lime juice.  Gives it enough flavour that I could stand it, but it's not really sweet.... after drinking it after a few workouts, it was so refreshing that I no longer wanted soda.

Offline John [sss24] Chadwell

• Patas
  • I didn't do it officer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 07:05:01 PM »
I'm have also gave up soda and it is hard-being 14 and surounded by temptation
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

''We take the bridge, at dawn''

You are getting arrested for doing kongs in a precision only zone.

Go with the flow-HA, I am the flow.

Offline Neon Camouflage

• Guenons
  • Moo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 05:03:36 AM »
Wow, I knew it was bad, but didn't know it did all that. I cut out most of it, except for a can or so a day, but now that's gone too.

I really feel bad for my friend, he drinks about 20 Mountain Dews a day. His body is officially addicted to the caffeine, his doctor said so.

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 08:31:56 AM »
Sorry to say this to the Charles of 2007, but the linked discussion is just silly marketing hype reversed, choices of words aimed at turning perfectly normal processes into something that seems scary or disgusting.

The same list and sequence of effects are what you would get from tea+honey+lemonjuice (caffeine, sugar, acid) and are perfectly ok responses, what you should be concerned about is just not taking too much sugar in general, from soft drinks or other sources.

For example, -all- food and drinks -always- naturally cause release of dopamine.
But as that article states, "This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way." So I guess the implication is that any food or drink is as bad as heroin... Run away kids!

Also, the claim that "You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down" is another ridiculous statement. There are plenty of just as sweet soft drinks without any phosphoric acid, for example various sweet teas, and nobody has any problem -not- vomiting left and right while drinking something that tastes good.
I don't really like sodas or soft drinks much myself, but there's no need for any mystery chemicals to prevent me from throwing up if I had to drink one... And as far as the "overwhelming sweetness" from that amount of sugar well diluted in a large amount of liquid, obviously it's not good but it's not some weird oddity, if you enjoy chocolate you can easily and deliciously consume way more sugar (also, it's not 100% of your recommended daily amount of carbohydrates) without feeling "overwhelmed".

So again my point is that all the 'reasons' listed in that link are extremely bogus reasons.

There are actual valid reasons for not drinking drinks with a lot of unnecessary sugar in them and they are mostly that if you really wanted to get those many calories you could have eaten something way more delicious and/or nutritious, and that really drinking water or at least a diet drink would have been a much better choice. Plus the usual old-but-true rule of cutting down your refined sugars and empty calories. There is no need to try to scare people with absurd arguments that might appeal to the uninformed and fearful.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 08:34:15 AM »
On the contrary, tomb, I think that scare tactics is just what this gluttonous and poisoned nation needs.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline swap01

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 08:50:45 AM »
What about slurpees? I love slurpees ;D

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »
i drink a case of coke a day. and i don't plan on stopping anytime soon. i LOVE coke. ESPECIALLY in can form.

metal is yummy.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:25:29 AM by bioobird »
the floor is lavA!

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2009, 12:39:06 PM »
not only have we resurrected a really old thread but now it is being polluted :(

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2009, 03:49:46 PM »
lol, the smite thing would be cool

but i gave up pop altogether (except Dr. Pepper, it would be committing the 8th deadly sin if i stopped, lol,semi-inside joke) and i feel more energetic and i seem to think straighter, but, then again, i stopped drinking pop about three days before starting parkour, so idk which one is causing this

(i drink DP about once a day, sometimes less, and its usually less than twenty ounces, though i bought a 2liter today because we ran out of juice and water (we have a 5-gallon water cooler) so i might be drinking a lot in the next few days
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2009, 03:51:29 PM »
hate to break it to you, man, but you haven't given up soda if you still drink Dr. Pepper.

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2009, 02:30:34 AM »
What about slurpees? I love slurpees ;D
Slurpees are fine, just like sodas, just keep in mind they are basically sugar and water which is not all that great for you, so treat it like a piece of cake you take occasionally just to make your life more interesting.
They also have diet slurpees which is much better for you for the same reasons diet sodas are better for you than regular, no sugar so it's basically water/ice with some flavor.
but i gave up pop altogether (except Dr. Pepper...
(i drink DP about once a day, sometimes less...
Again diet version would be better since it's again sugar and water otherwise... but anyways it's only about as bad as drinking orange juice (same amount of sugar) except you don't even get the benefits of other nutrition/vitamins.
It's really more of a problem when people start drinking it always in place of water which is a bad idea, equally so for diets and orange juice.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 05:45:41 AM »
It's really more of a problem when people start drinking it always in place of water which is a bad idea, equally so for diets and orange juice.

This is oftentimes the case.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2009, 10:57:27 AM »
Putting aside the fact that this was one of my earlier posts, and I've grown and learned significantly more than the 2007 "me", I'll go ahead and respond to a few things here.

First off, I disagree with both Tombb and Animus on their points. While sodas may not seem so bad to you Tom, their influence in keeping the average American overweight or unhealthy is definitely much more than you give credit to. Maybe it's hard to imagine not being as educated a person as you currently are, or perhaps as disciplined when it comes to sugary "delicacies," but a decent handful of people I know as well as clients simply do not have the capacity to "just drink one" just like they don't have the capacity to "just have one slice of cake every so often." They have their daily soda ALONG with their daily slice of cake, pizza for dinner, ice cream before bed, and potato chips at every snack.

Sodas/sugar is definitely addicting and their constant influence, bringing in all those extra calories that would otherwise be replaced by 0 (water) adds up. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to help someone make their way back to proper health and fitness just by taking out liquid calories.

The article doesn't put it this way though, and on that I agree. Sodas, after taking away all the other extrinsic variables on why they should not be a part of our society, are not some sort of devil. They definitely are not healthy, but neither is chocolate or ice cream. Yet when you ask someone how much chocolate or ice cream they consume a day compared to how many sodas, the amount of soda will almost surely be higher (sometimes by huge margins). Putting back in the extrinsic variables, soda companies are now big business with their own agendas/lobbyists, spurred on the emergence of worse drinking habits like "energy drinks", and have had a huge influence on the downfall of our environment - not only through their own doing, but also through such venues as bottled water which is NOTHING but a complete waste of resources. But this is a completely different topic, and at the risk of having this turn into a huge environmental debate, I'll keep this to just personal nutrition.

This agreement with your stance on the article, Tom, brings me to Animus. I disagree specifically because of Tom's point that scare tactics are never an appropriate way to make beneficial change. Scare tactics often times will skew knowledge to make a point more dramatic and produces misinformation to battle misinformation. This simply isn't appropriate.

Heading back to you quick, Tom, how is a diet coke any "better" than a regular? Is it a lesser evil? No. You get 0 calories, sure. But along with those 0 calories comes just another set of problems. Many diet sodas still come with aspartame. I won't even delve into the research on aspartame because it flip flops more than egg debates and the research out there looks a lot like early tobacco/cigarette research.

However, what about the psychological issue that comes with a diet coke? Why recommend diet sodas when we know the effect sugar addiction has? Do you know something that I don't? If so please say so, because although there are no calories in a diet coke, the "taste" is there. How can you help someone fight sugar addiction by having them replace their regular drink with a diet, take away the calories and keep the taste? This seems similar to a discussion on the CrossFit boards where people were attempting to make a healthier "pancake" but keep the good taste. After a lot of discussion someone finally hit the nail on the head and made it clear that a pancake has "cake" in its name! If you're going to eat a pancake, eat one with shit tons of butter and drop some crazy maple syrup on it, and by all means enjoy it to the very last bite. But don't try and make a treat a healthier option because it doesn't work. Either eat the pancake or eat your fresh brown eggs with spinach. Have your soda or suck it up and drink some water. I fail to see your logic here when it comes to soda and being a healthy individual.

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 01:51:55 PM »
Putting aside the fact that this was one of my earlier posts, and I've grown and learned significantly more than the 2007 "me", I'll go ahead and respond to a few things here.

First off, I disagree with both Tombb and Animus on their points. While sodas may not seem so bad to you Tom, their influence in keeping the average American overweight or unhealthy is definitely much more than you give credit to. Maybe it's hard to imagine not being as educated a person as you currently are, or perhaps as disciplined when it comes to sugary "delicacies," but a decent handful of people I know as well as clients simply do not have the capacity to "just drink one" just like they don't have the capacity to "just have one slice of cake every so often." They have their daily soda ALONG with their daily slice of cake, pizza for dinner, ice cream before bed, and potato chips at every snack.

Sodas/sugar is definitely addicting and their constant influence, bringing in all those extra calories that would otherwise be replaced by 0 (water) adds up. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to help someone make their way back to proper health and fitness just by taking out liquid calories.

The article doesn't put it this way though, and on that I agree. Sodas, after taking away all the other extrinsic variables on why they should not be a part of our society, are not some sort of devil. They definitely are not healthy, but neither is chocolate or ice cream. Yet when you ask someone how much chocolate or ice cream they consume a day compared to how many sodas, the amount of soda will almost surely be higher (sometimes by huge margins). Putting back in the extrinsic variables, soda companies are now big business with their own agendas/lobbyists, spurred on the emergence of worse drinking habits like "energy drinks", and have had a huge influence on the downfall of our environment - not only through their own doing, but also through such venues as bottled water which is NOTHING but a complete waste of resources. But this is a completely different topic, and at the risk of having this turn into a huge environmental debate, I'll keep this to just personal nutrition.

This agreement with your stance on the article, Tom, brings me to Animus. I disagree specifically because of Tom's point that scare tactics are never an appropriate way to make beneficial change. Scare tactics often times will skew knowledge to make a point more dramatic and produces misinformation to battle misinformation. This simply isn't appropriate.

Heading back to you quick, Tom, how is a diet coke any "better" than a regular? Is it a lesser evil? No. You get 0 calories, sure. But along with those 0 calories comes just another set of problems. Many diet sodas still come with aspartame. I won't even delve into the research on aspartame because it flip flops more than egg debates and the research out there looks a lot like early tobacco/cigarette research.

However, what about the psychological issue that comes with a diet coke? Why recommend diet sodas when we know the effect sugar addiction has? Do you know something that I don't? If so please say so, because although there are no calories in a diet coke, the "taste" is there. How can you help someone fight sugar addiction by having them replace their regular drink with a diet, take away the calories and keep the taste? This seems similar to a discussion on the CrossFit boards where people were attempting to make a healthier "pancake" but keep the good taste. After a lot of discussion someone finally hit the nail on the head and made it clear that a pancake has "cake" in its name! If you're going to eat a pancake, eat one with shit tons of butter and drop some crazy maple syrup on it, and by all means enjoy it to the very last bite. But don't try and make a treat a healthier option because it doesn't work. Either eat the pancake or eat your fresh brown eggs with spinach. Have your soda or suck it up and drink some water. I fail to see your logic here when it comes to soda and being a healthy individual.
Charles, it seems we agree on a lot, probably we agree on more things than we disagree on.
Even on the uselessness and environmental waste cause by bottled water as you know those are both points I repeatedly made recently.
And it seems we agree that a big problem is that people don't think about liquid calories in general and drink it like water, with sodas admittedly being easier to drink in larger quantities, but I have seen people just switching to drinking large amounts of apple juice, grape juice and orange juice instead and then wondering why they kept gaining weight and/or developed type2 diabetes.

Now on the issue we kinda disagree on, there's like 3 levels mixed in: 1) effect in moderation on well-informed individuals, 2) opinions and effects on society as a whole, and finally 3) whether diet is any better.
1) Starting with the easiest one, it seems you agree with me that if you follow basic simple ancient rules of moderation, balance and understanding what you are eating, there is nothing wrong in having an occasional soda, glass of orange juice or even a piece of cake. In fact as an adult and human being I think it's important to be able to learn balance and moderation and still not deprive yourself of at least small occasional tastes of the more interesting parts of being human too.
2) Now, on the whole society impact, I see your point but I am divided on the subject. On one hand, something that is easy to drink, widely available and slightly addictive like most sweet good-tasting things, does cause problems and it's easy to point the finger at it. But to me the real problem is the underlying poor nutritional education, bad habits passed down in families, and incorrect perceptions and assumptions. Even if you made sodas illegal to people under 50 years old, I would expect that the apparent soda problem would just shift to something else, because again they are not really the underlying problem, just the scapegoat of the moment.
3) As far as diet sodas, in moderation you really don't have the issue of addiction because you don't even enter a sort of dysfunctional range where hormones and other things start going out of control, and then the question is, if it tastes the same (which to me personally does taste the same), and since you were just drinking it in combination with some dishes because the taste meshed well, then why take the extra refined sugars and empty calories? So I would say again in a normal moderation case you are still better off using diet sodas instead of normal sodas and get those same calories somewhere else (like from balanced meals).
And if we talk about people who already drink sodas like water (i.e., too much), we are already in agreement that it's not a good situation just like people taking too much of anything. For some of them, it might be easier to just cut out all sodas 'cold turkey'-style, if that is easier for them, but that's not the only option like it might be for a recovering alchoolist (reminds me of a certain south park episode). And yes I think if they didn't reduce the amount of sodas they drank every day they would still be better off at least drinking diet sodas instead, they would still need to learn to take things in moderation soon anyways, but taking huge amounts of refined sugars out of the picture and replacing them with much smaller doses of calorie-free sweeteners is still much better than no change at all. And I would even say if you had to drink 10 glasses a day of apple juice or 10 glasses of diet soda, you should go for the soda (although of course the even better option would be to change that 10 to 1 and go with either drink).

Now, as far as artificial sweeteners and possible health risks, especially compared to most other standard food ingredients, perhaps it might be a good idea for you to actually start a new topic on it, with your best evidence and claims you really thing sound legitimate and well supported, and we can discuss them better there. Science generally doesn't flipflops because it's not what draws premature definitive conclusions (ecept social science studies and population correlations I guess, but those should really come with a disclaimer anyways), it's often that all direct lab evidence and studies are accurate but they are sometimes taken out of context or not understood in terms of how they really relate to the actual big picture and practical reality. Anyways, I think that's a separate discussion, but the main point for me is that moderation, variety and balanced good nutrition should always be the main issue, and if you start with that anything else like sodas, diet sodas, or orange juice are really perfectly fine to have.

(btw, I am sure you know this, but after your 2007 post was bumped to 2009 I jokingly said I disagree with your '2007' you specifically because I suspected that your position probably had improved and expanded closer to mine since then, and that I would imagine you would have made a much different/better post these days).

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 02:04:15 PM »
I don't really have a place here -- and i don't really want one...

Your disagreements are mostly philosophical in nature so I don't really understand the point in continuing this, but thats not up to me...

With that said, I just want to point out this statement:

Science generally doesn't flipflops because it's not what draws premature definitive conclusions (ecept social science studies and population correlations I guess, but those should really come with a disclaimer anyways), it's often that all direct lab evidence and studies are accurate but they are sometimes taken out of context or not understood in terms of how they really relate to the actual big picture and practical reality.

That's not really true.  Sure, conclusions are drawn and often times they are right -- but to say that a conclusion is always right is a dangerous road to run down...

I suggest you look up the details of a "disease" called thymicolymphaticus...this is a great example of the shortcoming of the scientific method and jumping to conclusions about "fact" and "truth" as supported by data.  Data is great but a tool in the toolbox - not the end all of understanding.  There is always the nagging chance that a variable was overlooked...in the case of thymicolymphaticus it was poverty...

It may be enlightening to read an essay titled "Poverty's Remains" by Dr. Robert Sapolsky, Ph. D.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:09:55 PM by Chris Salvato »