Author Topic: For those of you that still drink soft drinks....  (Read 14742 times)

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
For those of you that still drink soft drinks....
« on: December 09, 2007, 03:35:33 PM »
Stumbled upon this little ditto:

http://nutritionresearchcenter.org/healthnews/?p=140

Don’t drink cola if you want to be healthy. Consuming soft drinks is bad for so many reasons that science cannot even state all the consequences. But one thing we know for sure is that drinking Coke, as a representative of soft drinks, wreaks havoc on the human organism. What happens? Writer Wade Meredith has shown the quick progression of Coke’s assault.

The main problem is sugar. It’s an evil that the processed food industry and sugar growers don’t want people to know about. Even dietitians, financially supported by sugar growers and sugary product manufacturers, are loathe to tell us the truth.

When somebody drinks a Coke watch what happens…

* In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
    * 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
    * 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
    * 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
    * >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
    * >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
    * >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

So there you have it, an avalanche of destruction in a single can. Imagine drinking this day after day, week after week. Stick to water, real juice from fresh squeezed fruit, and tea without sweetener.
Primary Source: by Wade Meredith

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
Re: For those of you that still drink soft drinks....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 04:44:12 PM »
Wow, thank you for this, actually I had stopped drinking soda as of 3 days ago so this encourages me even more.  Also, finally I have some hard facts to tell fat people to stop downing soda faster than a lost nomad without his camel! It is truly disgusting, like really fat kids down soda so fast they should puke from the overwhelming sugars, but instead I almost puke from watching them drink it in that way, freakin fat lazy americans!  Actually there are other scientific studies that have been done, that say any foods, drinks, like soda, that spike your blood sugar then drop it down, shorten you life span by 10+ years, so eat foods that burn clean and last long, with no spikes. (exactly, don't drink spike energy drink, I know you were thinkin it!)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 04:46:17 PM by Altair™ »
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 04:57:10 PM »
I stopped drinking soft drinks more than six months ago from fear of the heavy sugar content, but I wasn't aware of the phosphoric acid and it's effects. That was very informative. Thank you.

And to think, Coke got it's name from the coca leaves they used in the production of this beverage back in the early 1900's, because adding coca or cocaina gave it more of a kick.

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 05:06:18 PM »
..as I'm reading this i'm eating Mcdonald's and drinking coke. Coke got its name because the put actual cocaine in the drink when it was first invented. And it was green. Ive been trying to stop drinking pop and all most soft drinks it just i cant stand Gatorade, Poweraid or any other drink like that and pop is easy to get. And a fun web site i stumbled onto http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 05:10:01 PM by michiganparkour »
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 05:11:57 PM »
this is a thing called water.. you might try it. i have heard good reports on it.. ;p

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 05:13:27 PM »
lol true but i cant stand water...i feel like im going to puke when i drink water
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 05:23:52 PM »
I stopped drinking soft drinks more than six months ago from fear of the heavy sugar content, but I wasn't aware of the phosphoric acid and it's effects. That was very informative. Thank you.

And to think, Coke got it's name from the coca leaves they used in the production of this beverage back in the early 1900's, because adding coca or cocaina gave it more of a kick.

I'm pretty sure everybody knows that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 07:21:50 PM by Altair™ »

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 07:04:07 PM »
you're pretty sure, or are you absolutely sure? i would save the "duh" for use in cases where you are absolutely sure :p

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 07:22:24 PM »
you're pretty sure, or are you absolutely sure? i would save the "duh" for use in cases where you are absolutely sure :p

What? I never said "duh"? come on now, cause I am positive that everybody knows that, absolutely 'cough' 'cough' thus the name coca-cola.  But what-evs I guess you could say the average Algonquin man wouldn't know that. ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 07:27:20 PM by Altair™ »

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 08:40:15 PM »
LOL. Yes, I see you are enjoying the benefits of our newly granted powers of EDIT.. ;D

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 09:31:27 PM »
LOL. Yes, I see you are enjoying the benefits of our newly granted powers of EDIT.. ;D

Did you smite me for that? Come on now, I'll smite you back, I'll do it, i swear.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 09:51:55 PM »
no, I rarely ever smite anyone. You have to do something really seriously offensive to get me to push that button.

you know, smite is more powerful if you hardly ever use it.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 12:40:23 AM »
i smited someone once.  i felt so bad.  i think i gave them at least 2 karmas.  and i haven't smited anyone sense.  so, there's my confession. 
Queen of Puns

Offline Holland Wilson

• Mangabey
  • Formerly known as the Damned Scholar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 02:12:05 PM »
I'm a Dr. Pepper addict. Fortunately, the cravings can be sated by fruit juice (apple, orange, cherry or smoothies are the best,) so I'm trying to replace my Dr. Pepper habit with a (slightly more expensive >.>) fruit juice habit. So far it's gone well, except for this week, which is finals week, so I'm making an exception.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 02:14:49 PM by DamnedScholar »
"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 02:55:49 PM »
i smited someone once.  i felt so bad.  i think i gave them at least 2 karmas.  and i haven't smited anyone sense.  so, there's my confession. 

I think it would be cool if the smite application was altered so that anyone who used it, would also smite himself in the process.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 10:57:23 PM »

I think it would be cool if the smite application was altered so that anyone who used it, would also smite himself in the process.

or just remove it and only have applause?

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 09:12:53 AM »
no, it would be more fun to see who the cruel and guilty are! LOL

Offline Jake Meyer

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 11:41:25 AM »
I would want to know what I was smited for.  I would hate to be a jerk and not even realize it!  Do you suppose the average A-hole knows what they are or just think the problem is with everyone else?

Back to the thread at hand...  I read another thread on the soda topic and just got back from dumping out my pop and getting a glass of water.  The positive power of peer pressure!  ;D

edit for spelling.  I'm a terrible speller (spellor) whatever.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 11:43:26 AM by jakkal »

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 07:42:46 PM »
Don't worry about the smites guys.. I have tons of them, and I never say anything mean to anyone. I am really easy to get along with and keep a positive attitude all the time, with the exception of some occasional dry humor once in a while. I think some people give me my smites just because they are prejudiced. Nothing I can do about it, so I don't worry. Everyone one here knows how I really am. They should too, as much I post on here LOL.

Offline Yixin (pronounced ee-shin)

• Patas
  • I am Yli
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 04:54:48 PM »
What I like about soda is the burn in the back of my throat when I drink it. My drug of choice is usually Dr. Pepper, but I can make do with Perrier or other forms of carbonated water.
"Madness.  (Sparta, etc.)"-Graham Hughes