Author Topic: a good herb to take?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
a good herb to take?
« on: May 23, 2009, 08:52:05 AM »
Ginkgo Biloba:

i read a kinda lengthy article on ginkgo and it seems pretty good, even for the traceur/traceuse because it increases blood flow, helps the ability to learn, and remember, and has shown to make it easier for people to walk farther (which im assuming will mean running farther too).

do you guys think that taking it would be beneficial?

heres a nice link (or three):
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/ginkgo-biloba-000247.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ginkgo-biloba/NS_patient-ginkgo/DSECTION=evidence
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: a good herb to take?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 09:36:24 AM »
I would think of it along the same lines as things like garlic, blueberries, lemon, yogurt, fresh cooking herbs like sage/rosemary, etc.

You should not expect it to be any better than those, especially for things that are hard to pin down or 'fix' like memory.

All those are very good for you as something you should add here and there to your diet, and if you are already doing good things like that on top of a balanced diet and training, then you can certainly also rotate in extra things like say the occasional ginko pill too if you want.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 09:38:36 AM »
alright thanks tombb
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 05:10:49 PM »
I'm a natural gal and will go for natural/preventative strategies before going in for pills, etc. My philosophy is to work with the biology you've got, eat a wide variety of foods as minimally-processed as possible, and that herbs are for increasing the pleasure/enjoyment of foods. I also use herbs medicinally from time to time and have an herb garden--I use fresh herbs as often as I can in cooking.

Having said that...

There does seem to be a tendency in this country to think of medicinal herbs as some kind of "magic bullet." The FDA generally does not substantiate medicinal claims made on herbs and as such they are categorized as "supplements." What it means is that with medicinal herbs you are limited to what the people running the studies will tell you about the herbs and sometimes the studies are really well-designed and other times not so much. It's a big gamble and you have to really be willing to research and use your critical-thinking skills when evaluating herbs for medicinal purposes. This isn't to say that the FDA is the be-all end-all authority when it comes to food and medicines. There is plenty about the FDA that I dislike. But even so, it is a largely-funded, standardized regulating body which means it can be trusted (IMO) a certain degree more than a bunch of hippies growing St. John's Wort in their backyard (to use an unfair stereotype as an example). :)

Since the FDA has little regulation over a lot of herbal medicines that get classified as "supplements" and therefore outside the purview of the FDA's evaluations (and consequently responsibility in the event of disaster), it leads a lot of people into the false belief that the herbal supplements are these amazing miracle cures, since there is no counter-evidence. In other words, with a new drug, the FDA will say, "This drug helps with high blood pressure, but we've tested it and it also causes blindness" (or something like that). So the consumer can weigh the options. With herbal supplements, all the FDA will say is, "We haven't studied this and don't want to, and therefore can neither confirm or deny these claims." So then all the consumer is left with is the product's marketing claims that the herb reverses baldness and causes you to win the lottery and whatever else, with no "devil's advocate" type information on the other side. Instead of taking this with a grain of salt and thinking critically about it, people tend to see these "undisputed" claims as somehow legitimate and stronger than they actually are. Also since most herbal supplement studies (with a few exceptions) are not recognized by the FDA, they tend to be less well-funded than drug studies and therefore the studies tend to be less robust and less extensive. However people don't see this, and assume that the supplements are somehow "better" than pharmaceuticals simply by default.

I guess that was a really, really long winded way of saying, just like with anything you take into your body, be it food, medicine, herbs, whatever--do your research, and do it thoroughly. Especially with herbs and supplements. If you find that a certain herb genuinely works for you with no ill effects, great. In the meantime, I strongly encourage you to read up on ginkgo bilboa as much as possible, and with a critical mind, and come to your own conclusions.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 07:52:26 PM »
wow, thank you :)

i have been taking it (almost) steadily for a few weeks, ive noticed a bit more focus, and my eye-sight has gotten better (this was before i knew it was supposed to help with retinal damage, so i know its not a placebo effect). i usually take a pilll every night (unless i forget, lol).

ive noticed no side effects, so ill continue to take them.

what i normally do to test things like this is to take them for awhile, say 4 months, then take note of all its effects (the time period is helluva a lot shorter if i notice something bad) then i stop taking it for two weeks, if i notice no change when i stop, ill stop taking the pill (or whatever it may be), if i notice i get sick more, or whatever the supplement was supposed to stop from happening then happens, ill go back on it.

it may not be the BEST way to do things because my mind could play a big part in it, but its better than nothing
-Thrice

1+1=10