Author Topic: Demon, TK17, Animus - to appear in USA Today (Tue Dec 4)  (Read 3391 times)

Offline TK17

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Demon, TK17, Animus - to appear in USA Today (Tue Dec 4)
« on: December 03, 2007, 05:10:07 PM »
Demon, TK17 (of 3run.co.uk), and Animus (of PKNA and here), as well as possibly others, were each interviewed by phone last week, for an article that is slated to appear in tomorrow's issue of USA Today.  Wish us luck, we did our best ... it could be a really good article, it could be "XTREME KIDZ JUMP OFF ROOFS."  Fingers crossed.

***Edit***  Link
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 03:19:44 AM by TK17 »

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Demon, TK17, Animus - to appear in USA Today (Tue Dec 4)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 05:30:45 PM »
As long as you made sure they know we are only in it for the fame, the glory, the money, the girls, and the adrenaline rush of doing flips off of buildings, then everything else should fall into place. 

Offline TK17

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 06:41:51 PM »
Yeah, that would've been cool, but we figured it would be better to start off by comparing it to skateboarding without a board, talking about how everyone in the community is crippled by knee problems and broken bones, then moving on to the best ways to trespass and damage property without getting caught by the cops, and wrapping up with a couple of plugs for our new corporate sponsors and the upcoming OMG UR DA BEST TRACEUR EVER competition tournament cup championship event.  Oh, and we threw in a little bit about how it's only meant for skinny white guys between 16 and 18.5 years old, for good measure.

;)

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:09:02 PM »
It will be a success.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 09:48:10 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2007-12-03-parkour_N.htm

Doesn't look too bad. I didn't read it all, but it received a good skimmin'.

Some negative things, like the ER doctor's comment, but hey......

Overall, could be worse. actually, not too bad.

Great job to all the interview-ees, I'm sure you put in great effort in order to represent Parkour to the best of your ability. It involves a lot of responsibility, and courage.

~Jag
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 10:10:09 PM »
I can't say I'm COMPLETELY happy with the article, but it's not horrible and could have been bad.  I won't say that it's good, but I won't say that it's bad, either.  It does what it sets out to do: exposes Parkour and freerunning.  But as it is, it is simply an exposition article that just barely scratches the surface.

I will say that the ER doc and Xin's words were definitely a negative point, but I understand a reporter's need to present both sides of an argument.. and sadly, there ARE people who get into this discipline for the adrenaline rush.  Hopefully, what TK and Demon have said will balance that out.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 10:46:21 PM »
Hmm, street running, I'll have to try that next time I come upon a street. Or maybe I'll just do free running instead. But really, more people have died in skiing, skateboarding and mountain biking accidents than in parkour, I mean I don't ever think about jumping in between sky scrapers personally.  "Building jumping" is just the most profound thing known to most people when they hear free running or parkour, plus it is the most easily describable way to define free running for most people who have not much of a clue. The chances are better that they will say "O ya those guys who jump from building to building" rather than saying "O ya those guys who do wallruns, rolls and vault between railings." Honestly even the most educated person will say the first one.
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 04:15:53 AM »
It was a good article...just...street running? Gaiye...

Also wtf? The ER Doctor? He has no qualification to speak for the physical injury part of parkour because it doesn't happen that often...and if they would of read up on parkour...they would have read that there have been no deaths.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Janson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 06:56:08 AM »
As a reporter, who's done stuff on parkour before, I think the article blew.

But of course I'm really biased now.

He should have confirmed the terms he uses with his sources. If he was going to refer to the whole skateboard no skateboard, he should have mentioned who talks about it in that way. (Granted, the inexperienced). And street running, please... I figured out the difference bet freerunning, parkour, and everything you don't call it just after a good afternoon talk with my traceur source. 

So I'll be one to say I hated it.
It used to be I dreamt of flying... Now I dream of doing the smoothest, most fluid Parkour ever.

Offline Kevin Roysden

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 09:09:59 AM »
"They're everyday (mostly) guys practicing the art of parkour and an offshoot known as free running." I thought it was strange how the writer kept on naming it "street running" even though she said free running the first time.  I thought the article was alright, Demon and the others did a fine job but that whole ER guy thing was dumb.  The only thing he talked about being risky was jumping from building to building.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 10:04:38 AM »
Yeah, it wasn't the greatest article on parkour. However, it could have been a lot worse as her original plan was to write the article entirely based off Youtube and other internet videos of parkour. For some crazy reason, she was contacting people to interview for the article by using MySpace. Thankfully she was able to get a hold of TK17, Animus, and myself, otherwise we would be looking at an all around, very negative article.

Offline Alex \"Ace\" Scott

• Patas
  • The big Hair-eded one!!
    • View Profile
    • Pk Cali
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 10:39:13 AM »
Wow... I can't believe her actual original intent was to simply watch youtube and myspace videos... I'm sorry but... That is just plain unprofessional and well....dumb... (but gives me a really really good idea for video aimed at the media...) and actually, now that I think about it, I can believe it, considering the amount of crappy articles out there... That said, I have seen worse then this one.

Two things though
1: I thought that horrible cliche of "skateboarding without a skateboard" was over with! Aren't journalists taught to steer AWAY from horrible WAY over done and especially inaccurate cliches?
2: How the heck does Xin keep popping up in articles!
-Tell me how you MOVE, and I'll tell you who you ARE-

"For every newbie that says Parkour is what you want it to be- God kills a Kitten." -Ruzkin

-www.PkCali.com-

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 01:59:35 PM »
It's too bad she didn't put a reference to this video as an example of what parkour is:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1829g_yeah-right-invisible-boards_creation

It would have gone perfectly with the opening paragraphs.

Offline Corey Cedeno

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »
With the exception of the three "real" interviews; that article was absolute crap.  It wasn't written well at all, even despite the original article's intentions.  I expected a better article than that from a national newspaper.

Offline Jus7in

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 05:58:32 PM »
Lol It's more dangerous then mountain biking, obviously he hasn't been. Thats stuff is crazy, one wrong jerk of the handle bars and you have a dislocated shoulder.
W.W.O.D. - What Would Oleg Do

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 03:31:09 PM »
it was ok but the stuff about comparing and with the doctor made bad. the doctor didnt know wat he was talkin about. but Parkour is in the paper. more humans to the discipline!
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?