Author Topic: How fit do I need to be, and where do I find fitness info?  (Read 11547 times)

gearsighted

How fit do I need to be, and where do I find fitness info?
« on: November 29, 2007, 05:31:05 AM »
Parkour is obviously a very strenuous activity, which is why a good fitness level is very important for effective training. Besides being very conscious of your appropriate level of training and proceeding along with small, incremental steps, it is also important to consistently improve your fitness level through progressive, functional training methods. On that note, here are some steps for doing so effectively:

1. Though most people would tell you to get your doctor's approval before starting an exercise regimen, I feel that most doctors know very little about fitness in general. That being said, if you have any previous injuries, illnesses, etc. or if you're past your prime a bit (i.e. a 55 year old man who used to smoke and is 20lb overweight) it is a good idea to get everything checked out and make sure that you are at a reasonably healthy baseline level.

3. If you have any injuries, please take the time to let them heal. Yes, it can be very exciting to get involved in Parkour immediately, but we're in this for the long haul, take your time and get everything patched up first.

4. Learn the basic calisthenic movements: The Squat , The Push-Up , The Pull-Up and a basic Sit-Up . Pay very specific attention to form. If anything hurts or just doesn't feel quite right, try to find a qualified trainer to help get you started, or shoot us a line via email or the WOD comments to figure out the problem!

5. Parkour requires a very broad combination of strength, power, endurance, stamina, flexibility, speed, agility, balance, coordination and accuracy, so your fitness program should address this. In the APK Workout of the Day, I try to vary basic exercises throughout the week to tax these all at one point, so that nothing is left out. DO NOT FALL INTO THE TRAP OF THINKING THAT A TRADITIONAL BODYBUILDING ROUTINE MAKES YOU "FIT" You need full-body movements through multiple planes of motion that test your balance and coordination.

6. Start slowly. If the basic squat is hard for you, don't try to do 100 of them your first day. Get the form down and gradually add volume as you adapt. I would say that a good base level of fitness would be 50 bodyweight squats, 25 push-ups, and 5 pull-ups. This ensures at least a general level of strength and flexiblity that will make your initial training more productive and safe.

7. Progressive overload is the name of the game. More load, more volume, done faster from one workout to the next will get you results. Keepnig everything the same week-to-week does nothing but make you bored.

Some great sites exist that have awesome free info about performance fitness and nutrition, here are a couple of the best:

Crossfit - broad, non-specific fitness. Exactly what you need to practice Parkour. Be sure to check out their FAQ and back-issues of their Journal to find more about scaling the often brutal front-page fare.

Performance Menu - A great Journal for performance nutrition and general strength and conditioning. This place has a great daily workout that is geared mostly towards Olympic Weightlifting, but would benefit a motivated Traceur nicely.

BeastSkills - Jim is a good friend of ours and an awesome athlete and coach. His site is second-to-none in its quest to unlock the secrets of many of the harder bodyweight strength skills.

RossTraining - Ross Enamait is an amazing coach and quite and ass-kicker himself. Lots of great free info, with some well-priced books that are a great bargain with tons of useful info about making due with limited equipment.

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
Re: How fit do I need to be, and where do I find fitness info?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 08:04:33 PM »
the school that i go to has a class called "strength and conditioning" that ive been in all year and they take theyre workouts from Crossfit.

i think im going to ask them to check out the WODs here though, because they definitely dont do some of the fun stuff you have in your workouts
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline deadlyMETAL

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 05:40:49 PM »
This was surprisingly helpful. I'll get working out within the week and see how things work for me. :)

Offline Jofish

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:56:02 AM »
Thanks man i'll take this into account.
since im 15 i rekon im pretty fit already but i guess i gotta work on my endurance and my leg strength :)

chow

Offline ParkourBoy217

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 08:11:38 PM »
Well that depends how fit are you now??? Also you might want to workout at least 5 times a week although I work out each day.
S217s

Offline adonisaegle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 03:49:01 PM »
I'd like to add that if you're not that strong and you can't do pull ups and your arm strength isn't that great, you should try hitting a boxing bag. I never liked doing weight lifting, so this was the perfect way to increase my strength. I can hang on my hands effortlessly now and do an actual pullup, compared to before when it hurt to hang on!

I've been doing it for 2 weeks now, and I've noticed an incredible gain in strength compared to where I was before.

You'll have to get hand wraps and gloves though (I suggest heaviest gloves possible for better gains). I had a friend show me how to wrap my hands and hit the bag, but you can always look it up on youtube.

Either way, if you hit the bag constantly, take off days for rest and do extra cardio/pushups/squats/any other bodyweight exercises, you'll slowly get into great shape. Hitting the bag is also VERY good for cardio. If you add in some simple running to this, you'll get great cardio strength.

Just to give you guys an idea of what it's done for me...

I was 225-230 by the end of January. I'm 5'11 so that's obviously overweight.
I was 215-217 by end of March... I was doing just simple basketball cardio and nothing more.
I am now floating around 204-207 depending on water weight. I only added the bag exercise 2 weeks ago, and I basically lost up to 10 pounds. I don't know how much muscle I've gained from it, so I might have lost even more than 10 lbs of fat.

Either way, it's really working out for me, and soon I'll be able to practice parkour which I've loved for over 3 years but never had the physique to practice.

And don't worry if you don't look that good hitting the bag.  ;D I still look like an idiot doing it.