Author Topic: Should I bend my knees past 90 degrees when I land?  (Read 21854 times)

Offline cOUCH

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Should I bend my knees past 90 degrees when I land?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 09:22:45 AM »
I never do squats, or anything like that... but they would help, i just like to jump... Anywhere and everywhere as long as im confident ill make it... otherwise... HELLO INJURY! my old friend

Offline Keifer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 10:48:38 PM »
i understand doing squats to condition the legs against the pressures of gravity, but can you advise a certain type of leg position?  i had this dilemma last night and ended up with the conclusion that i can push myself forward from any jump under 5 feet or so.  however, i'm not sure if i should roll at such a low height.  i don't need to take the pressure off of my knees, but it's the only way i can think of keeping my forward momentum, unlike bending my knees, where my only option is to try to spring myself upward, land, then resume running.  solution, please?

To preserve momentum without doing a roll, I just use a cat landing-like technique. Basically landing like normal, but move forward a little and stabilize with your hands, then push youself forwards with your legs as you take your hands off the ground. It's simple, easy to master, and I swear it has saved my life once or twice. I usually only roll on grass or packed rubber and if I have too much forward momentum to land in a cat style landing.

so is doing squats the only way to improve leg muscle? cause my legs arnt very strong (im a girl)

A girl who does parkour, some might find that kinda hot. Just sayin'. Anyways, you can do squats to build leg strength, you can run until your legs give-out (like I do), or you can practice balancing on rails and walking along them for a suspended period of time (also something I do near daily).

And now a reply to this thread itself; I bend my knees past 90 degrees if I feel it is necessary. Usually, I just bend my knees until I feel the schock of the landing has been absorbed, then I continue with my parkour path. Just to save time and to avoid hitting the ground with my back-yard or hitting my chin on my knee (both hurt very much. Believe me. =/). If I feel I have to bend my knees past about 50-45 degrees, I just land like a cat and absorb shock with my arms too, but it's usually not necessary. For me, anyways. Your style may be different from mine. =)
Have fun and screw gravity. ;D

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 11:13:10 PM »
Hey, brosauce.  You just quoted people from 2008 and January 2010.

I would imagine that your advice is well appreciated, but I would figure that these particular people have long since come to grips with their own answers. :)
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Keifer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 11:37:53 PM »
Hey, brosauce.  You just quoted people from 2008 and January 2010.

I would imagine that your advice is well appreciated, but I would figure that these particular people have long since come to grips with their own answers. :)

::) Eh, you never know who is sitting at their computer on this forum, this very minute, with the same question. :) Also, liking the signature. Jason Statham in one of my favorite actors and the picture as a whole amuses me.  :P Btw, "brosauce?" I'm sorry but that made me lol.  ;D *like button*
Have fun and screw gravity. ;D

Offline Jennifer

• Guenons
  • loves parkour
    • View Profile
    • Corpus Christi Parkour
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »
I definitely bend my knees more than 90 degrees when I drop from a medium height. If I'm dropping from high enough that I want to roll it out afterward, I put my weight a little more forward so rather than

land. Then roll.

The way I land drops me forward directly into the roll. It's one smooth motion, no pause or re-aligning in between.

Offline Charlie

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • 365 Days of Hand Balancing
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 02:03:16 PM »
I usually will bend my knees past 90 but not so im sitting on my ankles. High drops, keep your legs tense if you plan on rolling. And tense still if you dont
Goals:
        -15 second handstand
        -15 second tuck planche
        -1 head to ground handstand pushup

365 Days of Hand Balancing:
http://365handbalancing.blogspot.com/