Author Topic: Go - A parkour sampler by TK17  (Read 6901 times)

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Re: Go - A parkour sampler by TK17
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 07:01:52 PM »
Okay... parkour-wise, I am in no position to offer technical critique as you are clearly more experienced than I. I will say that in a "global" sense, your quality of movement seems (to me) as if your flow is still emerging. If I had to guess, I would say that you're at a point where your techniques are pretty comfortable for you and you've been working flow more directly, more recently (recently=within the past year or so). It's there, but it seems like your concentrating on it, still working on it becoming "natural." Furthermore, what I observed in your quality of movement may simply be how *you* move, individually; it may be your "style" as it were: very focused, calculated. If that's the case, then you certainly own your aesthetic and that's to be admired.

But then again, that's a total guess. I know nothing about how you train and I'm making a lot of assumptions based on my observations of your movement (and I'm critiquing from an aesthetic standpoint rather than a technical one). Maybe I'm out of my tree. It's my inexperience talking.

From an aesthetic standpoint of filmmaking, I loved it all! Artistically it was very well done. Beautiful!

And the tic-tac to cat at 3:40 was really nice. :D
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Bear hunter-3rd in command
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 07:43:42 PM »
awsome stair thing

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 07:46:44 PM »
TK17, thank you for clarifying the mat issue.

Looking back over your video, you're right.. I only spotted two landings that seemed very rough. I think it seemed like more because, for one reason or another, you move like you're uncomfortable with yourself. that much, I don't understand.

At 2:23, you land placing one hand down to brace yourself, but your hips (and your [censored], as a result) are still very high in the air, so it doesn't seem like you're actually compressing into the landing as much as you're bending into it a little, and then just leaning forward to redistribute the rest of downward momentum. I'm not entirely sure why you do this.

At 4:13, whcih I believe you said felt a little sloppy anyhow, you land again in the same way... Hips are high up, and you lean forward into the landing rather than compressing down. The one explanation I might think of is that you prescribe to the "90-degree rule," which I would, then, ask you to reconsider the biomechanics of such a rule.

However, these are the only times I see you landing with hips high (though I'm not sure how many other landings are actually depicted in the video over your rolls which are, indeed, solid, from what I can tell).
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline TK17

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 07:58:03 PM »
Well, I usually roll when in doubt, so many more of my landings are rolls than the average traceur.  I'm well aware that it's my strong suit and a good way to work, as a heavy person.

I'm going to give it a go re-filming that 2:23 landing, undistorted so you can have a better understanding of the setup and the true shape of the obstacle, some time in the near future, and I'll put the vid up by itself for you and others to offer thoughts and advice, both on the particular technique I'm already using, and also on possible alternate methods of dealing with it.  That might be a week or a month down the road, but I'll PM you when it's up so you can participate in the discussion (probably will be on PKNA).

As for the 90-degree rule, I LOOSELY comply with it.  I never force it in a situation where it feels unnatural (which is often).

Muse_of_Fire is almost prescient in what he picked up about my movement, and now that I think of it, the "uncomfortableness" that Animus was seeing might be related to this ... until the last year or so, my training had not been geared towards what I now think is true parkour.  I started through martial arts, then random flips and tricks, then freerunning, then idiot's parkour, then parkour.  So, up until recently, most of my motion was single-tech, and flow was something I didn't work on much.  So, what you two are both picking up on might be the flicker of hesitancy at the beginning and the end of each move, where my body is thinking "start" and "stop" instead of just continually flowing.  That is DEFINITELY something I'm working on more these days, but again ... the clips for this vid are up to 2.5 years old, so you're actually seeing leaps ahead and backwards within a single video.

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 06:58:20 AM »
Yes, for my next video I put out in the summer, I am going to make a true Parkour video, strictly Pk!
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Ronster82

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Shalvis Myspace
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 02:08:07 PM »
I loved the video, one of the videos I will now use when I need that "inspiration to go out and train boost." The one thing that I didn't completely understand was at the end where you tag the traceurs hand, and then he takes off running while you stop to and you appear exhausted. This is a guess correct me if I'm wrong though, but does it have to do with sharing or passing on the discipline of parkour to others?

Offline TK17

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »
They're both me.  I tagged off to myself.   ;D

It has to do with the fact that different parts of you motivate you to train at different times, and different parts of you want to "go" different places.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 02:58:34 PM »
I love your work.  I love the fact that your posting more on our forum.

Major comment:  This is more of a video then a sampler.  Samplers are as I am sure you know sent to people for consideration for a set out come.  People who watch samplers for sponsorship or employment cases, want something that is 30-40 seconds long.  I only bring this up because I would hate to see such great talent denied because their video was to long.

Minor comments:  I had the same impression as Frosti.  Secondly I plan on down loading the raw video to better offer true criticisms.

PS  Great Editing
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 04:08:22 AM »
This is my submission for the Skipper's Swapouts Game..

It's the TK17 Psychadelic Swapout..   http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6116735456390948514

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 08:46:20 AM »
Hey TK17

Muse is a woman, fyi... lol

Offline Logan Lay

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • LEL Enterprises
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 09:54:32 AM »
TK17 Well Done - That honestly has to be one of the better vids I've seen in a while. Thanks for putting in the time - Well done!!!
"I can do All things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phil. 4:13

"I'm Going There. I'm Going There Directly. I'm Going There Directly and Nothing is Going To Stop Me. I'm Going There Right Now." - David Belle

"Train for Life, not for Prestige" - Charles Moreland

Offline Ryan Kirk

• Patas
  • Formerly Ultimatealive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 08:04:15 AM »
Hey man - I know you've heard a ton of positive praise already, but I feel I have to add to it.  I felt that your video captured what parkour meant to me very well.  Your moves, while beautiful, were not generally superfluous, they were not necessarily showy - they were quality.  Hopefully that makes sense.  As has been mentioned, your editing is some of the best I've seen in a long time, and my personal favorite part is the underbars and horizontal two handed vaults that send you through pretty small gaps.  Remarkably well done sir.

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult."
--E. B. White--

Offline Acewall

• Mangabey
  • He's half black!.....No, he's 50%!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2007, 03:50:42 PM »
Amazing video. You're the man. But what editing software did you use?
"Does this work?...Let's call some bitches."

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2007, 10:26:08 AM »
I would like to know as well.
All I have is Windows MovieMaker, and it kind sucks.

Offline TK17

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 02:13:21 PM »
I used Adobe Premiere Elements (less than $100, works for Windows) on a few clips, and it's also what I used to edit the 3Run Family Video last year.  I used FinalCut Pro for Mac on the rest.

shadow1234

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 12:59:38 PM »
I like the unedited version much better! It's funny when you can hear that girl say "OH MY GOD" when TK17 does the double kong.