Author Topic: Official APK warmup and WODs links  (Read 17360 times)

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Official APK warmup and WODs links
« on: November 25, 2007, 09:09:43 PM »
Okay, so there's been some issues with accessing the warmup as well as WODs so I'm just going to post links to the pages so that you don't have to keep making threads.

Official APK warmup
The APK Warm-Up
Monday, 19 December 2005
A thorough warm-up is essential for both effective strength-training and effecient intraday recovery...
Light exercise is the best tool for improved recovery in-between hard workouts. Some light jogging, hiking, swimming or easy Parkour followed by a thorough stretching session is perfect. Along those lines, I have decided to put together the most useful and broad-spectrum exercises into a standardized warm-up for our WOD, and this by itself will be an excellent rest-day activity. General calisthenics performed until you raise your core temperature over a wide-range of movement options are an excellent way to flush your body of accumulated toxins. Each exercise should be performed in a rep-range that allows for a raise in body-temperature, heart rate and range-of-motion, without accumulating undue fatigue. Substitutions for each exercise are fine, as everybody has a different level of fitness, so if Dips are too hard, then perhaps try push-ups, or knee push-ups. If 10 is too many, than perform as many as possible within the range of an effective warm-up is concerned. As you fitness improves, your warm-up will mirror this improvement. The standardized warmup will be as follows:

3 Rounds:
15-25Squats
10-15 Pull-Ups
10-15 pushups
5 Samson Stretch Each Side

Agility Work- Mark a 10-rung ladder on the floor, each rung 12-18 inches apart. Perform the following agility drills as a circuit, repeat 2-3 times:

High Knees, one step per-block
High Knees, two steps per-block
Side-step, two steps per-block
High Knees, backwards, one step per-block
Butt-kicks, one step per-block

Burpee/Quadrapedal Movement- Perform 5-count burpees, one count for each movement, in control. After 3, perform :30-1:00 of random, varied quadrapedal movement. Repeat as needed or as you feel inspired to ;)

Rest as needed between each exercise, keeping in mind that the goal isn't to kill yourself, but rather to facilitate a raise in core-temperature and improve the pliability of your muscles and connective tissues. If you do this on a rest day, it can be followed by a good session of stretching (issue 3 of the Performance Menu, with an excellent feature on flexibility). If it is before the workout, leave the stretching for the very end of the entire workout session.

For some more info on the benefits an effective warm-up, check out this issue of the Crossfit Journal 

CF warmup
The "official" CrossFit Warm-up is in the April 2003 CrossFit Journal.

3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
Overhead Squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back-extension
Pull-up
Dip
Note that for a workout that's dip or pullup-centric, you might want to do something else in the warmup.

And finally we have links to all types of different WODs:

APK WODs:
http://www.americanparkour.com/content/category/12/37/322/

Primal Fitness WODs:
http://www.primal-fitness.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=6&id=6&Itemid=37

CF WODs:
http://www.crossfit.com/

CF Affiliate WODs (some have different WODs than the main page. Go to the left side and click on a state and then click on an affiliate and some of them will post their different WODs up):
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline bob smith

• Patas
  • Philosophical Badass
    • View Profile
Re: Official APK warmup and WODs links
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 06:00:34 PM »
there is something I don't understand about the warmup...

when you say three rounds you you mean three rounds until it reaches the given amount or you repeat that stuff 3 times?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 09:33:02 PM »
You do all of the exercises in order with as many reps as prescribed. One you finish that's one round. Do 3.

Basically, eventually you should get to a point where this just warms you up such that it gives you maybe a light sweat and gets your muscles warm. Initially if your conditioning and strength are poor, the warmup may BE your workout.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Jay777

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 05:57:02 AM »
Could anyone tell a basic beginners workout, one to start after getting used to the Warm up.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 07:32:50 AM »
A lot of warmups are scalable, but my favorite is the CF workout "Cindy"

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes (but you can change this to 15, 12, 10)
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats.

So just keep going through as many times as you can. This one is so easily scalable because you're familiar with all the movements already, and you can just change the time.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 03:22:03 PM »
Gearsighted told me you can also get to the WOD archives by hitting the FITNESS tab on the front page [Left menu] and choosing WOD.

Offline Tindytim

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:38:44 AM »
Um.....

What are Butt-kicks and Side-steps? I can't find anything about them, and I don't really know what they are? is there a video of the WOD being done? or can someone explain this to me?

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 02:54:20 PM »
I don't see any video out there. Yet. Here's what I do:

Butt kicks = as you step forward, flex the knee of the leg you aren't standing on. Try to kick your butt. Don't hurt yourself, though. Don't do this while wearing spiked shoes or heavy boots ;D

Sidesteps = Instead of facing forward, your side is to the ladder. Turn your head to see where you're going. Step sideways into the first box with the foot closest to the ladder, then the other. Repeat until you're through the ladder. I do this like a martial arts footwork practice. I'm on the balls of my feet. Ankles, knees, and hips are loose, and slightly bent. Arms in a guard position. I think it's more fun.

Experiment with the warm-up. There are many different ways to do some of the exercises, especially the QM. Experiment. Have fun. Remember - the whole point is to warm your muscles up and stretch them dynamically. It's to get you limber, warm, and ready for the main workout. Don't wear yourself out.

Offline Tindytim

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »
Sidesteps = Instead of facing forward, your side is to the ladder. Turn your head to see where you're going. Step sideways into the first box with the foot closest to the ladder, then the other. Repeat until you're through the ladder. I do this like a martial arts footwork practice. I'm on the balls of my feet. Ankles, knees, and hips are loose, and slightly bent. Arms in a guard position. I think it's more fun.
So do your feet cross, or do they go into same square?

Thanks a lot btay!!! ;D

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 06:41:44 PM »
Your feet don't cross. The first foot steps, then the second steps or slides next to it in the same square - that's why it's listed 2 steps per block.

Now, for "fun"... you could try crossing legs, only hitting one foot per block. Either do it like step aerobics "grapevine" [step behind, little hip rotation] , or martial arts footwork - crossing over either in front or back, with a bit more hip rotation. You can find the grapevine on YouTube, but I didn't find a good version of the martial arts crossovers. It's basic white-belt karate stuff, so anyone who's had any karate should be able to show you.

Also for "fun" you could do 3M - tripedal motion. Do QM without one of your limbs. [like no right leg]. Pretend you're injured, and can't put weight on it.

These are just add-ons, or modifications to the official warm-up. You don't have to try them. Hope that helps!

Offline BarbaraGulge

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Official APK warmup and WODs links
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 01:40:39 PM »
I tried to use firefox and google chrome browsers but I had the same problem, The timer would not start/go into rest without first me pressing pause and then pressing pause again to start it.