Author Topic: I Just Started, What Moves Should I Learn First?  (Read 33465 times)

Offline Tyson Cecka

• Patas
  • Tyson Cecka
    • View Profile
    • Tyson Cecka
I Just Started, What Moves Should I Learn First?
« on: November 21, 2007, 01:54:48 AM »
I get this question a lot from beginners asking what they should focus on first, speed vaults? kongs? lazies? cats? gap jumps? I say, none of the above.

There are two things I generally tell people who are starting out. First, that you need to learn how to land before you learn to fly. And second, that the most important aspect of parkour you can learn early on is the ability to break movements down into their simplest components. A speed vault can simplify to a two handed vault, which can simplify to what I call a safety vault (where you use a foot to help you over), which can simplify to many other things. These different vaults are useful in different circumstances of course, but the most important thing about them is they make the learning process into a safe and effective progression rather than jumping straight to what you have already probably seen in videos.

Videos rarely show how people get to that point, and it's important to think about the different steps and progressions that go into learning things for the first time. So my advice is to develop your landing and rolling technique, strengthen your body (building your armor), and simply experiment with getting over obstacles in ways that work for you (and are safe). Then increase the speed, or change the angle of approach, or the type of obstacle, etc... Work from the simplest you can think of slowly up to the more complex. In this way you'll both have a more complete picture of parkour and won't injure yourself by skipping to the hard stuff.

Offline mickey stewart

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: I Just Started, What Moves Should I Learn First?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:24:15 PM »
I started off doing rolls and minor vaults. i then got good at vaults( well sort of good) and started wall runs.
Parkour is your own path, why let someone else tell you not to walk it?

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »
you guys, just throwing this out there, i jumped straight into the harder stuff, and it was hard, i couldnt do almost anything, so i stopped :(. this year im back, im already practicing rolls, and other things i can do in my room while it warms up outside and the grass gets softer, im coming back starting from the bottom, doing the big stuff gets you nowhere if you jump right into it, take it from someone whos done it
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline B Rock

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 04:25:57 PM »
I'm a relative newcomer to parkour, but I've done martial arts a long time, so I'm already a bit ahead of some of my other beginning parkour budies.
LEARN YOUR ROLL!!! this is so important. I can't stress it enough. If you get really good at your rolls then you'll be able to try things without being too afraid of killing yourself. You'll never get anywhere if you don't experiment a little. Of course you should still be carefull, but this is definitly an important basic skill.

Offline Brandon Haag

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 01:31:56 PM »
If your starting off, learn how to land and roll first. it's very important that you learn how to land. rolling takes time to learn. then when you feel that your ready start on vaulting but take your time and always be safe. and take your time.
god gave you legs.... god gave you hands.... your destiny parkour!

Offline Hans Hansen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 03:21:13 PM »
Learn the fundamentals.  Learn to land correctly, and perfect your roll.  You may also want to try to practice some techniques in save environments.  Find a small stable wall, and hang on it.  Shimmy around.  Get your grip strong.  There's more to this art than cool moves, you know.

Lysander

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 08:11:29 AM »
I'd say, work on your landings, rolls, etc: first before anything else. Once you got that down, practice doing a monkey, lazy, whatever you feel the most comfortable doing. Once you get over your fear of vaulting, try some wallruns. Find a nice, flat wall and practice on that. This is what I did and it worked out fine.

Offline Parkourboy48

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Never Stop, Being Free Is Everything!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 03:01:49 PM »
I'm 12 and I just started doing this. Im practicing my rolls in my basement, every time I do it though my sholder gets jammed forward and my head hits the ground (not really hard, but hard enough to give you a headache). I've done every thing i can to try to fix it but nothing is working, what else should i try?   
Never Stop, Being Free Is Everything!

Meshach

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 03:04:11 PM »

Offline Parkourboy48

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 03:56:50 PM »
it helped a little but i still have the tendesy to hit my head, this is my only second day practicing though. I did the progression 3 with the hands, which helped. I dont know if i doing bad or good though.

Offline David Johnson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »
Tuck your head. Use your hands to roll over the front of your shoulder.

your mother

Meshach

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 08:47:46 AM »
In a good roll your head will never, ever, ever touch the ground, watch the video again and really study it. Break it down into parts, where he puts his head, the part of the shoulder that touches the ground first, the angle of the shoulder to the hip as he rolls (adjust this accordingly), the foot placement (shoulder width apart), etc.

Just practice, practice, practice and you'll get it eventually.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:17:16 AM by Tracer1993 »

Offline Parkourboy48

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 11:05:02 AM »
I've practiced it a little more and im getting a lot more comfortable. My head is just barely skinning it on some partss. Im still going to practice 30 min. sessions, twice a day, thanks for the help ;D

Meshach

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »
No problem! :)

Train safe man.

Offline alxsmpgmr

• Patas
  • Satisfaction
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 09:28:41 PM »
I am really new, but am not sure what to practice on. There aren't that many good spots near my house. but then again, i am not looking at them like a traceur would. still. any advice
I'm back!!!

Check out my first PK video! http://youtu.be/ZSrXyTv5bGs

Offline New_Kid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 07:11:20 AM »
guys i really like parkour and i have just trained for a few days
i am quite good at the turn vault,simple vault,lazy vault (by youtube)
and now i'm having 2 problems
1 there aren't many trainable obstacles near my place (i living in VN)
2 i can't roll  :-\ maybe im too afraid of hitting the ground or grass . I've trained hard at home on soft places but i can't on any other places :(
what should i do?

Offline Chad Johnson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 05:23:12 PM »
I've been at Parkour for a couple of weeks now, mainly working out and practicing rolls and watching tutorial videos.
I feel pretty comfortable with landing about 7', I've done it and it doesn't hurt at all. I've also wallrunned up the side of the shed succesffully.

Offline Kimbrough

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I have an improvement complex
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »
As far as the rolling I am probably very little help since I just started also but I found I roll a lot more comfortable when I practice on a very hard surface. I practice in my basement and it helped a lot with not being afraid to roll. From my experience practice always helps with being more comfortable, though im not sure how much you have done
Why go through life bored?

Offline Chad Johnson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 12:08:01 PM »
really it's easier for you to roll on harder surfaces? I've got carpet and grass pretty down pat.

Offline Travis S

• Patas
  • das flow
    • View Profile
    • UMass Parkour
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 01:11:37 PM »
The great thing about learning rolls on hard objects is that your technique HAS to be good or you will feel pain. I'm sure that there are better ways to start, but when I got into parkour I didn't go on forums and ask people how to do moves or anything of that nature, I saw some moves in videos and tried them until they felt right, got a little banged up but it was worth it. Being self-taught is an advantage in my mind because it gives me a great understanding of my own body and all of my motivation comes from within. I think that people should definitely have good technique but you don't NEED other people online to tell you how to do parkour, I'll say that. Fear about hurting yourself is going to be a big hindrance in your training, you have to be strong, you need good balance and you need to understand how to use your body to your advantage. Just move in ways that use your muscles and joints to benefit you, if you are slamming down on your hands or feet EVER you know you lack control and you will probably end up getting hurt; learn to control your body and you will go far. So know your limits, and don't try to do that two story drop before you know anything about technique or your body's ability to resist large forces. Parkour isn't about going huge for some video online, and its not about going on forums. Parkour is about learning good technique, strengthening your body and mind, learning about your body and being prepared for challenges. Don't be afraid to try things, but be safe and go out training.